Short approaches

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:45 am

man, if you've got a friend, just practice throwing to each other with a putter. Take a look at the discraft clinic "getting better fast" it's a similar routine.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby cmlasley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:06 am

To make my approaches better, I've had to rethink my objectives from 150'. From 150', my chances of going in are either slim or none. I'm aiming for the base of the pin, not the chains now, and that alone has made a big difference in my putting because I rarely have even a 30 footer to hit to score now. It takes the putting out of the game.

As for the technique, it's pretty basic. Read this thread, especially ZAMson's sweet diagram:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4713&highlight=approach+stance

You never have to take your eye off the target, you just rotate your upper body back and then pivot on the ball of your feet and it zips out there.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby cmlasley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:09 am

I forgot to say how I practice these. When I take my son to the playground or in the back yard to play, I take a Wizard with me and throw safari approach holes in the desired range. That way you can get in about 100 approaches in 30 minutes. Pick a tree, pole, or whatever that is in the range you need to work on, and make sure you hit it in two shots.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Dogma » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:37 am

cmlasley wrote:To make my approaches better, I've had to rethink my objectives from 150'. From 150', my chances of going in are either slim or none. I'm aiming for the base of the pin, not the chains now, and that alone has made a big difference in my putting because I rarely have even a 30 footer to hit to score now. It takes the putting out of the game.

I agree 100%. It's always tempting to aim for the basket and hope for glory, but how often do you really make it from 100+ feet? 5% of the time? Less? And how often do you end up missing by enough that you have an uncomfortable putt? Probably a lot more often than 5%. Play the odds, at least until your skills improve enough that the odds change.

When I focus on really aiming for the base of the pin my accuracy is way better than when I aim for the basket. If you're aiming for a spot on the ground and miss, you usually don't miss by much. If you aim for something four feet in the air and miss, your disc has a much longer way to go before it stops.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:29 am

Blake_T wrote:gentle hyzers and touch anhyzers are much easier to work on.
I hit more gentle hyzers from 75'-150' than I do jump putts from 40'-75'. In fact, I've only ever hit one jump putt and I've made a 90' approach two of the last three times I've played.

If you throw stable putters (Wizard, BB Aviar, Challenger, etc.) these two shots are your best friend. The touch anhyzer doesn't need a lot of room to work. I'm not excellent at distance estimates, but I'd say that even a newish, 170-172g putter only needs 10' or so of room to get out 150' or so at 5'-10' of height. You only need 5' or less room to get the 90'-100' at 5'. These types of shots were my specailty when I played Ultimate so they're probably one of the strongest parts of my game...not that that's really saying much. When I'm on they almost cover up for my lack of ability to putt.

Just put a tiny bit of anhyzer and try for a little air bounce for the touch anhyzers. Once you get the gentle hyzers dialed in there's not a lot you can do wrong. Keep the speed of the green in mind. If there's any chance of skip or roll away aim in front of and to the right (RHBH) of the basket.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 am

tumpsi wrote:I've been throwing mostly max weight Glow Aviars for almos 2 years now, I
guess I'm gonna try some lighter ones too. What weight do you suggest? I've
been testing JK/KC Aviars this week, and they're good too. Classic Aviar is on
a try out today, and next week is going to be an ode to The Discmania P2.

168-171g. they don't take as much pop to get em moving nor do they stable out as quickly.

Then, my gentle hyzers suck altogether on another level. They always seem to come out 30 degrees further than I want. I think I'm letting fundamentals go and trying to let my arm lead and do all the work.

someone isn't accelerating. heh.

key is to step through your finish on these. make sure your left leg comes forward after the throw.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:36 am

Good news is that I believe these shots come with time. The more you throw them, the better you'll get. Driving you have to go far and usually hit a path, putting you have to go into the basket. These approach shots, you're just going for a 30' circle around the basket - quite a bit of leeway.

My preference for this type of shot is usually a warlock. It's not too stable so it's easy to push out 150' and it's not so understable that I find my self turning it over by accident just by releasing a tad anhyzer.

Just practice, it'll come. Blake's advice about following your form is true. Don't over think it :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby tumpsi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am

I tried the Classic Aviar today, and it sucked big time. The mold is something
I've been looking for, but the plastic is just too stiff. I changed my approach
stance to more drive-like, and it gave some good results too. Just need to
work it out much, much more.

Isn't the P2 supposed to be something like small bead Aviar (flightwise)?
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Midnightbiker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:16 pm

While you are at it, try a Star Coyote.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Midnightbiker wrote:While you are at it, try a Star Coyote.

Thanks, but no thanks. Didn't like the feel of Coyotes.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:29 pm

not sure, but i know the original discmania putter was just a sirius omega.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Midnightbiker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 pm

tumpsi wrote:
Midnightbiker wrote:While you are at it, try a Star Coyote.

Thanks, but no thanks. Didn't like the feel of Coyotes.

The Star Coyote has a different feel and flight of the Champ or the DX. I know because I have all 3. It makes a fantasic approach disc. You can even putt with it. Try one. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:not sure, but i know the original discmania putter was just a sirius omega.

Yeah, that would be the P1. It's directed to beginners. The P2 is more stable,
and it's for the advanced players. Didn't someone post something about
the P2 being a KC/JK Aviar without the bead or something like that in another thread?
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 pm

tip #3 if you are really loose on your approaches, pull the pig out and start throwing spike hyzers.

I've been doing this more and more. Well since wickham opened back up. It's been working great for me. I too suck in this range, it's the largest hole in my game right now.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

The Natural wrote:
tip #3 if you are really loose on your approaches, pull the pig out and start throwing spike hyzers.

I've been doing this more and more. Well since wickham opened back up. It's been working great for me. I too suck in this range, it's the largest hole in my game right now.

I would guess this is symptomatic of people learning how to throw far before they learn accuracy. If you learn throwing 150'-200', then everything is an upshot to a putt out. You get better at upshots, then putting, then driving.

People these days - with help from others and new plastic - are able to throw plastic out quite a ways, but aren't necessarily accurate yet.

As I said, it'll come with time. I've found putters to be the least harmful with this type of approach shot. Just treat it like a stand still drive and, like blake said, don't reach back as far.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

PreviousNext

Return to Technique