Short approaches

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 pm

The Star Coyote has a different feel and flight of the Champ or the DX. I know because I have all 3. It makes a fantasic approach disc. You can even putt with it. Try one. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you.

i doubt you'd want to pay shipping from Finland to the US.

a new disc is only the answer if the disc that was being thrown was a vastly inferior product to even the "average" performance discs on the market. e.g. being able to throw an APX 150' takes some mad skills and it's probably easier to get a different disc.

aside from those cases, the true improvement happens with form and technique, which will yield better results with EVERY disc and not just one in particular.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:31 pm

on a side note, i can throw star coyotes 320'+ and i would find it a terrible choice for the 75-150' range.
Blake_T

Postby dflaschiii » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:05 pm

In the 75-150 range I use a pinch grip and shorten my reach back as much as possible. I hold the disc at my right shoulder (RHBH), snap my hips around to start the throw motion, get my elbow out in front, and let the momentum of my body push the disc out there (I do a full follow through as well). I try to use this same exact motion throughout the 75-150 range and adjust the height of the throw depending on the distance. Mostly use XD or Classic Roc.

If I'm in a situation where I can put a lot of hyzer on the disc, I'm probably at around 80% of my shots within 10ft, and none more than 20ft away. Slightly lower numbers for annies/forehands. Dead straight shots are the hardest, but a beaten XD hyzer-flips nicely (most of the time).
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:18 pm

I agree, udder...I run into big arms all the time at tourneys but I rarely see people who can throw approaches on a dime or putt well. Just like ball golf, the short game is the biggest part.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:28 pm

In considering the short game, my home course has a few holes less than 200 feet in length. Usually on these holes, I'll throw from a standstill. The problem is that when I do that, I inevitably pull off to the right. I don't know if it's something I am (or am not) doing or what, but it's really frustrating.

I guess I could just aim to the left. . . .
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby J-Man » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:50 pm

From the pin out to 150 it's a Soft Magnet, period. The approach game is my hot zone, but I approach it from a catch philosophy. Shots in that 50 to 150 range are shots I just try to throw to my old freestyle partner Lou. I use a big fan grip and really try to feel my thumb on the top as it releases. I'm old so my game has to be about accuracy; put the drive in a spot where I can go to my Mag ASAP and then, just throw it to Lou. Keep working on it, but I would suggest playing some putter catch before your round, it loosens up the arm and shoulder and lets me get the feel. Don't forget to step through the shot. Have fun. J
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:03 pm

CJ1998 wrote:In considering the short game, my home course has a few holes less than 200 feet in length. Usually on these holes, I'll throw from a standstill. The problem is that when I do that, I inevitably pull off to the right. I don't know if it's something I am (or am not) doing or what, but it's really frustrating.

If you're doing it consistently, then it's not really a problem. Make one adjustment and you're throwing at the pin. I had this problem too, and I turned so that when I'm throwing I have my shoulders at 11-o-clock and 5-o-clock (assuming the pin direction is noon.) This is now a more predictable part of my game, and not one I get as stressed over as, say, long hyzers.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby gratefuldisc » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 pm

CJ1998 wrote:In considering the short game, my home course has a few holes less than 200 feet in length. Usually on these holes, I'll throw from a standstill. The problem is that when I do that, I inevitably pull off to the right. I don't know if it's something I am (or am not) doing or what, but it's really frustrating.

I don't like to throw from a standstill on the teepad. guess it's a habit thing. on short holes, I'll do a short and slow, walking x-step. might be worth trying for you.
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:36 pm

I definitely feel more confident that way. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Midnightbiker » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm

150-50ft I use a Star Coyote. It works wonders. Inside 50ft I use my Magnet.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:11 pm

You have to learn to adjust for the difference in speed you may/may not be generating by standing still. Sometimes, in an effort to throw a disc far, you over power your shot when you're standing still. You just need to practice. Find out where your comfort range is - how far you can go if you really try and fly it, etc.

It will benefit you in the long run because when you end up with one of those shots from the shule where you can't x-step, you will know what you can/can't do. A simple choice is do throw a lighter disc. You don't need to put as much on it and can focus on nose down and clean pull. I find this helps me a lot on shorter holes (<300' or downhill) because I can focus more on my shot than hucking the disc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby geoloseth » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I agree with black udder, learning to throw an upshot from a stand still is key to improving your game. I've forced myself to step out to the side of my lie when approaching so I don't have to worry about getting timing right if I'm stuck in a bad spot. Climo even had some instruction on this in one of his videos on you tube.

All you really need to focus on is getting your elbow out in from of you pull in order to generate the right amount of snap to get the disc to travel the 150 to the basket.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:17 pm

learning to throw an upshot from a stand still is key to improving your game.

i even believe learning to throw a drive from a standstill is key :)
Blake_T

Postby Midnightbiker » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Blake_T wrote:on a side note, i can throw star coyotes 320'+ and i would find it a terrible choice for the 75-150' range.

For me , my Star Coyote flips over 200 ft, and by adjusting my power on the throw, it makes a great approach disc for me. I guess to each his own. The Innova XD also makes a good approach disc.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Midnightbiker wrote:
Blake_T wrote:on a side note, i can throw star coyotes 320'+ and i would find it a terrible choice for the 75-150' range.

For me , my Star Coyote flips over 200 ft, and by adjusting my power on the throw, it makes a great approach disc for me. I guess to each his own. The Innova XD also makes a good approach disc.

I'm not a part of this discussion prior to now, but I just wanted to say that a Coyote thrown 200' that flips over might be indicative of some problems with the throw. Nearly all disc molds in Star should be able to be thrown 250' or more without flipping. Even the Stingray.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Technique