Shoulder angle, plant foot, and pull though.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Timko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Aaron_D wrote:peaking at 330' + roc-going-as-far-as-driver syndrome are all definitely warning signs that you are having more major nose angle issues than you probably realize. I went through this and what helped me was really trying to focus on keeping my wrist down thru the hit and getting my weight even more forward. You should get a fairly nose angle sensitive disc like a valk, beast, orc, SL, inferno, etc...but not a disc that is too fast for you to handle (wraith, teerex, surge etc.) with a disc like this you will really see the difference between nose up and nose down throws. The good news is that since you are putting rocs out so far (330 with a roc is great) you will probably hit 360+ish with a valk with minimal change in technique other than getting more weight forward and keeping your wrist down.

Aaron, I think I keep my wrist down. I think it's more of a grip issue. Unfortunatly, I work 60+ hours a week as a software engineer, and keeps raining on the weekend. My Roc is more in the 300' range. It's really aggrevating, because I used to throw the driver farther (more in the 350' range) and the midrange in the 270' range on good rips, but with my recent technique corrections, I seem to have added more nose up.

This is the sole reason the Valks are back in the bag.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby garublador » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Furthur wrote:My Roc is more in the 300' range. It's really aggrevating, because I used to throw the driver farther (more in the 350' range) and the midrange in the 270' range on good rips, but with my recent technique corrections, I seem to have added more nose up.
That's how my jumps in improvement have been, too. I'll fix one thing and break something else.

The first time I was able to hit 350' I couldn't throw a mid without it flipping.

Then I fixed that and I was doing alright (350' with long range drivers, maybe 300' with mids and 280' with putters) until I realized I wasn't getting the nose down and wouldn't be able to throw any farther unless I did.

Then I got most of that fixed and now I can't throw a putter with a power grip.

Now I'm working from the front back and I'm half excited to see what it fixes, but also scared to see what I'll break.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 pm

http://www.algonet.se/~area46/svenska/skola/utkast.html In the middle of the page is the picture of where an x step has the feet landing.

Were you warmed up and do you stretch. You're nearing the age where throwing 100 % rip as the first throw of the day ain't trouble free any more. More power and a wearing body...

tumpsi wrote:
JR wrote:Congrats on the new record.

Thanks.

Where the left leg lands varies with different stepping styles. Shuffle steps vs x steps. Great results can be achieved with both. It may not be the most important thing as long as it works with other parts of the throw so that you do clear/open your hips by turning chest facing the target directly as the disc leaves the hand.

I've used the x-step for years, and I'm not willing to change it.
I have some pain in my lower back, and I'm afraid it's not going to be better
tomorrow.

If I remember correctly a picture of the position of the x steps in www.area46.se or something like that(google area46 for exact URL) had the left leg in the x step close to where you're describing your current step to be.

I googled it, and found the site. The gallery contains dozens of pictures,
and I'm too lazy to browse them all. :)

Generally the farther forward your left leg is in the x step the farther back you lean and the more force is required to push you upright and weight forward and the longer it takes for the weight shift to happen. That buys you time to think about your form and concentrate on form, timing power generation or combinations of those. Usually slowing down the steps allows for more control of where the legs land. Practicing form not throwing for D or accuracy should help.

Yeah, this new form of mine only appears when I throw near max power,
on slower motion my steps are normal. Of course I do practice form also,
but I think this might be a common problem, so I'm leaning on Blake and his
magical advices.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tumpsi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:01 pm

black udder wrote:I recall something like as you hips open, kick your left leg up, and the momentum will move it over as you pivot. It sounds like you're not opening/clearing your hips with your throw, so your hips aren't facing the hole like they should. This brings your leg around. If you don't, then you could be pushing all that momentum against your hips instead of transferring it to the disc and into your finish/follow through.

I'm afraid I'm doing that. It really needs to be fixed before my spine cracks
or something :D

I'm with you on adding controlled distance. I believe that the further you can throw max D, the better your form has to be and thus, the easier it is to throw controlled shorter distances.

JR wrote:http://www.algonet.se/~area46/svenska/skola/utkast.html In the middle of the page is the picture of where an x step has the feet landing.

Were you warmed up and do you stretch. You're nearing the age where throwing 100 % rip as the first throw of the day ain't trouble free any more. More power and a wearing body...

I always warm up & stretch properly. I throw at least 20 shots with low
power before moving to higher power level. Usually more. I do an 2-3min.
stretch programme before every time I'm going to throw anything, even
longer when I'm going to practice max power, or playing more than one round.

My left foot does'nt go around me, to the right side of my right food.
It stops back of my right foot, right side of it. So all the momentum I create
headed to my back. I really need to fix this asap.
This far I'm okay, but when it comes to following through,
my body isn't spinning around the ball of my plant foot.
I'm going to play a round or two this weekend, and I definitely need to
fix this before that. I seriously hope that I just had a bad day, and this problem
is gone by weekend...
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:26 am

tumpsi wrote:
black udder wrote:I recall something like as you hips open, kick your left leg up, and the momentum will move it over as you pivot. It sounds like you're not opening/clearing your hips with your throw, so your hips aren't facing the hole like they should. This brings your leg around. If you don't, then you could be pushing all that momentum against your hips instead of transferring it to the disc and into your finish/follow through.

I'm afraid I'm doing that. It really needs to be fixed before my spine cracks
or something :D

I'm with you on adding controlled distance. I believe that the further you can throw max D, the better your form has to be and thus, the easier it is to throw controlled shorter distances.

JR wrote:http://www.algonet.se/~area46/svenska/skola/utkast.html In the middle of the page is the picture of where an x step has the feet landing.

I always warm up & stretch properly. I throw at least 20 shots with low
power before moving to higher power level. Usually more. I do an 2-3min.
stretch programme before every time I'm going to throw anything, even
longer when I'm going to practice max power, or playing more than one round.

My left foot does'nt go around me, to the right side of my right food.
It stops back of my right foot, right side of it. So all the momentum I create
headed to my back. I really need to fix this asap.
This far I'm okay, but when it comes to following through,
my body isn't spinning around the ball of my plant foot.
I'm going to play a round or two this weekend, and I definitely need to
fix this before that. I seriously hope that I just had a bad day, and this problem
is gone by weekend...

Funnee! Picture.

I have a nice piece of advice for you that should save your back. Ask anyone here and the chances are that they've read here and many have noticed that the real source of power for a throw comes from legs. Left leg being a very large part in leg power. What you need to do to get your body into correct position for pivoting with your right foot is to push forward with your left leg immediately after it lands. the directions of the push are initially harder straight towards the target. You never stop this direction but you need also to start concentrating more and more on pushing so that you start to rotate with you torso. Pushing sideways with the left leg helps the right leg pivoting. Which leads to having chest and hips face the target when the disc leaves your hand.

Before your right foot touches the ground in the plant step your torso should be closer to the target than your left knee. Maybe your left side and shoulder should be vertically over your left knee but having them farther towards the target than the knee shouldn't be bad either. The farther forward your left side is from your left knee the easier it is to bend your waist forward and shift your weight far (enough) forward.

Weird describing things to a Finn in English but this may help others as well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tumpsi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 am

JR wrote:Weird describing things to a Finn in English but this may help others as well.

type it in finnish and you'll be helping me, too :D
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:19 am

tumpsi wrote:
JR wrote:Weird describing things to a Finn in English but this may help others as well.

Vee... ;-) now that you've learned to spell Finnish in English grinz your English should be good enough to understand even the most technical terms such as cache in computers which officially in Finnish according to kielitoimisto is the very descriptive heittovaihtotiedosto. Hrrr...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tumpsi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:25 am

JR wrote:
tumpsi wrote:

Vee... ;-) now that you've learned to spell Finnish in English grinz your English should be good enough to understand even the most technical terms such as cache in computers which officially in Finnish according to kielitoimisto is the very descriptive heittovaihtotiedosto. Hrrr...

Yeah! Fotoni=erkale, elektroni=sähkäle ja mikroskooppi=hitutähystin, etc. :D
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Shoulder angle, plant foot, and pull though.

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:30 pm

I noticed on one of those Beto drive analysis vids that Beto started his pull before he planted his pivot foot. Is that right?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: Shoulder angle, plant foot, and pull though.

Postby JR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:45 am

Not a great idea and his form has improved since.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique