Seth Project and the Crippled Old Man (wrist extension)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby kevind » Fri May 30, 2008 6:31 am

I've been fooling around with this as well and also have noticed that when I try to muscle the nose down with my wrist it takes a bunch off the extension. I have to remind myself to loosen up before every drive by wagging the disc back and forth to get the feel. I was getting about 25-30 more feet on my normal 340-350 drive.
kevind
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 pm

kevind wrote:I've been fooling around with this as well and also have noticed that when I try to muscle the nose down with my wrist it takes a bunch off the extension. I have to remind myself to loosen up before every drive by wagging the disc back and forth to get the feel. I was getting about 25-30 more feet on my normal 340-350 drive.

My first field practice session after I got a busted ankle. Standing still throws only with minimal weight shift mostly due to momentum. Some shoulder turn with abrupt stop in the follow through due to shoulder turn running out of flexibility.

I too wagged the disc back and forth before throws and I moved the discs from the palm to fingers only. Semi curled index around the bottom of the disc middle finger along the ring pointing backwards under or on the lowest part of the disc. Lots of wrist mobility with extra loose muscles for the greatest range of motion I've ever seen and felt. Before throws i tried different pressures of index/thumb pinch towards each other. Kinda pointless because real throws are in a different power range altogether. I started loose with everything except moderate pinching power and pinched harder by a little at maybe about 70 % power in the end for very audible pops. I used my newest discs that are lighter than I'm used to.

I didn't try to push my wrist down yet on purpose. Topped out at 360' with 150 Star Teebird, 166 DX Teebird and 166 Star Eagle. those were mild s-curves except for one with the 150 TB but I matched it with a 15' sideways moving throw. On line drives I lost 20'. Except with 166 DX Leopard on a rope to 95 % of the eventual 350'.

On full power I was somewhat accurate but not repeatable. Taking a bit of power off I got 330' pretty accurately on line drives and hyzers and with Leopards 148* and 166 DX annies too. 170 Banshee was a nice s-curver that I got consistently to 320-330' . Very controllable for me. This might be a killer disc for me for max D high annies if my ankle heals up to handle those.

Blake has his own thank you thread but here go my thanks for Bradley Walker and geoloseth for their wrist extension threads and videos.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Seth Project and the Crippled Old Man (wrist extension)

Postby emiller3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

Aaron_D wrote:I always felt like my hand was getting in the way somehow during the hit. Its a hard feeling to explain, but it felt like my fingers were preventing the disc from launching out of my hand. The wrist extension fixed that. Basically I think that if you find yourself stuck in the 380-400 plateau--look at your wrist extension. Adjusting that made the biggest difference in my distance than anything in quite a while. I feel like I am actually using the energy I am putting into the throw. Before this break through I could throw at 75% and get around 380-400, but if I went up to 90% I was throwing the same D. Now if I go 90% I am approaching 450+ on a good rip. Bam, 50' just like Blake said. That fool is a l w a y s right.

FYI, this describes me exactly. I was ripping it consistently 420-450' for a brief time, but after some time off I'm back to the 380-400' range no matter how hard or how controlled I throw. I suspect I was getting good wrist extension for a while.

geosleth wrote:Don't get discouraged. The same things happened to me in the field when I first started trying to throw with more wrist involvement. Until you get the hang of it, the most likely shot coming out will be a nose down anhyzer. What I've found to be the key is throwing with just the right amount of hyzer, because the natural motion of the wrist flexing will be to have the disc come out slightly anhyzer. I think I posted on here about the tendencies of wrist motions with different angles of a bent wrist.

How can I be sure that I'm correctly getting wrist extension and not introducing some kind of OAT or wrist roll? I went to the field and tried this yesterday and experienced what geosleth posted here. It felt weird, like I was re-introducing OAT into my throw. I wasn't throwing hard, so I don't know if I was getting good distance or not. Can someone set me straight on what my throws should look like if I'm getting wrist extension as opposed to OATing or wrist-rolling the disc? Or can someone maybe explain how Bradley's wrist extension concept is different from OAT or wrist-roll (I'll admit, it's been years since I read anything on OAT or wrist-roll?)

FWIW, I'm not changing anything in my throw except my wrist, which I'm trying to consciously open once I start my elbow extension. My wrist feels way different (open) during my follow through when I do this, but the rest of my throw feels the same as always (would need video to confirm.)
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am

Too bad im still throwing ~400. :/ Hitting 400+ is still hit or miss and I have days when I can hit 430 and days when I cant break 390. I cant stand throwing anything faster than the OLF so maybe that's part of it.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby emiller3 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm

After getting a little practice back in, I'm pretty sure this was my problem. I haven't got it down completely yet, but when I get some good acceleration in the arm extension and combine it with some good wrist extension, I get my old D back. Problem is, I'm having to re-adjust my expectations of what line the disc is going to come out on, so I think I'm going to be a little worse for a while until I get used to it, especially in the midrange game.

I'm not throwing quite so nose down anny any more, I think that was a product of forcing a little too much wrist extension with a low power throw. When I speed up my arm a little, the disc pops out before my wrist extends so much, so I get a nice nose down flight on the angle I'm intending to release on. I still hope that I'm not introducing any weird OAT or wrist roll, I'll have to experiment with understable discs I guess. My seasoned Wizards are coming out nice and flat and straight, and I know those are prone to turning hard with unintentional OAT.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 am

Aaron_D wrote:Too bad im still throwing ~400. :/ Hitting 400+ is still hit or miss and I have days when I can hit 430 and days when I cant break 390. I cant stand throwing anything faster than the OLF so maybe that's part of it.

Does throwing feel different for you on those days you go 400+?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Quick, someone take away Aaron's "I Throw Faaaar" title, before he gets his magic back.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby emiller3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm

For those few paying attention to this thread, I've come to the conclusion that throwing nose down anny's when you're trying to get wrist extension means you are doing it wrong. I think this thread advocated early on that you should be throwing nose down anny when you first start getting more wrist extension, and that you adjust by releasing with more hyzer. If you are trying to get wrist extension and your throws are coming out nose down anny, it's probably because your wrist is coming out of its pre-loaded nose down position (the position you get with the over the head handshake position) and into a more neutral state (a regular handshake), which throws the axis of the disc off from your forearm and creates its own anny plane.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:52 am

It is starting to warm up, I think I am going to make another video here pretty soon.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:20 am

Nice! I look forward to it.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm

It's going to be perfect out tomorrow and I'm off work. You bring the camera and I'll get the groupies.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby josser » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

I notice that it is quite challenging not roll your wrist over when you try to keep wrist down with wrist extension. I am guessing this is because I am trying to go to far with my extension?
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 pm

josser wrote:I notice that it is quite challenging not roll your wrist over when you try to keep wrist down with wrist extension. I am guessing this is because I am trying to go to far with my extension?

i would just concentrate on wrist extension, because once you start extending you will get nose down.

a drill Blake was working with me on is to stand 130' away from a tree and throw all of your widest rimmed drivers flat with nose down and try to park the tree, emphysis is on wrist extension.

find your hit point with extended wrist before you throw, and then throw with pure snap. very hard to do and you will know if you do it correctly right away because you will either have lots of nose down, or it will be nose up (incorrect).
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby josser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 am

This sounds more or less the same as Bradley Walker's skip-pass drill with a predator.

masterbeato wrote:find your hit point with extended wrist before you throw, and then throw with pure snap. very hard to do and you will know if you do it correctly right away because you will either have lots of nose down, or it will be nose up (incorrect).

Perhaps I am being thick, but how do you throw with pure snap?
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Technique