Power Grip and Snap

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby lacrimosa » Wed May 17, 2006 12:53 am

is it most efficient to press the disc into the entire palm of your hand? I have somewhat large (8.5") hands and am most comfortable pressing it firmly into the upper half of my palm, but leaving it off the bottom half. when i try and curl my entire palm around the disc, it feels like I'm 'man handling' it and it doesn't go very far

edit: now that I think about it, I do tend to put most of my palm over the rim on wider-rimmed drivers. it is mainly on the putters/mids where I only use half the palm.
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 17, 2006 1:44 am

generally pressing it into a focal point or two is best.

basically, directly opposite the rip point, and depending upon grip, sometimes opposite the lock as well.

i have a friend that gripped without his thumb on the disc and could throw 350', so i know a ton of hand/palm isn't necessary, mainly being strong in the right spots.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 am

As someone who is 6'6" and has really big hands, grip has always been a problem for me especially on shallow rim discs (putters are the worst for me and I use a fan grip only on those). Going to a power grip was rough at first, but has paid long term results. While at first not the most natural feeling thing in the world, I did what Bigs is doing and just always have a disc in my hands (the hour drive to work and back every day give me plenty of time to do this). Once you have gripped the disc a million times, anything will feel natural.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby bigs348 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:22 pm

So this evening I finally got a chance to hit a field and the course and to try out my newly learned, correctly performed, four-finger power grip. Although, I still need to figure out my angles with the new grip, I easily saw a 50+ foot increase on my distance drives and the throws felt great. (and I heard my snap).

I came up just short on a 450' hole, and was pin high on a 475' hole a little later. Both of these drives were with a DX Wraith 10-12' off the ground -- I threw with hyzer, they flipped up and glided too far right on me before fading, so I was way off line but the distance was there.

The added snap and power behind my throw is going to force me to add more hyzer angle at my release to compensate. Another hour or so of field practice should help me work all the kinks out. This evening I actually felt like I was drving as far as I should be.

Thanks, Blake. Your grip article and your posts on here have been invaluable.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Wed May 17, 2006 11:39 pm

Righteous 8)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 am

congrats.

sounds like you added the last piece.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi