Question about grip...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby OldTyme » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 am

If I can piggy back off an existing thread.

I had a question regarding grip.

Should my fingertips be curled under the rim.....? (example: like w/ a bonapane grip, my fingertips are curled under and the fingernails dig into the rim)

Should the fingernails be digging into the rim with other grips?

I've always thrown with my fingertip "pads" holding the rim.

I've tried the bonapane a few times this week & had a couple really good throws. Longer then normal. However consistency was a problem.
I'm wondering if I've been gripping wrong the entire two years I've been playing??? :)

Thx.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:11 am

whichever will give a stronger grip at the rip point while still allowing you to hold the disc parallel to the forearm.

for some people, wider rims won't allow tips + correct oreintation.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby OldTyme » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks Blake.

I read this before I left today & assumed you meant 'whichever way is OK as long as the grip is tight' : )

Normally I will birdie grip w/ the fingerpads gripping the disc.
Today I was using a 4-finger power grip with the 3 rear fingers curled under & nails gripping into the rim, the index was just wrapped under (i cant curl that finger all the way around)
Thumb pressing against the index about mid-thumb.

Anyways. I was throwing much better than normal using the "fingernail grip" as I call it....
The grip was as tight as usual, but the disc seemed too rip out better (and getting better distance)
My accuracy also improved.

Just a little posting of my results.
I'd say it would be worth trying for those looking for something new too try (IMO)(YMMV)(LOL)
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Ill definatly try it out. Ive been throwing using a powergrip but with the pads contacting the bottom of the disc. I started throwing this way when a local pro with a huge arm showed me how he drives. He has the farthest Golf D i have ever witnessed. I believe its about 400', but dont quote me on that. I have seen him throw around 500' Big D, and im sure he is capable of more. either way, i mimicked his grip, and at the time it made a considerable difference in my drives, however i havent had much improvement since then, so maybe its time to try something new?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby OldTyme » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:12 pm

Yeah. I'd say it was definitely worth a try.

I'm no huge arm but I can hit 275-300 and be somewhat consistent (which I feel is more important. We don't have many mega-long-holes around here).

On the longer holes 300-350 I was definitely getting them farther than I normally do.

I also found the discs were flying more like they're "supposed" too.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Technique