anyone here use the forehand technique for distance drives?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

anyone here use the forehand technique for distance drives?

Postby wraith » Tue May 16, 2006 1:29 pm

I use the forehand grip at my home course for most all the drives. Most of the holes are less than 100 yards, however some are over 100 hards with the longest being a dogleg right 157 yard par 3. With the forehand grip I am able to throw my Innova Pro Wraith pretty long and straight. I know I'm over 100 yards, which isn't but 300' but I think on good ones I prolly get out to 330' for now. At my home course, it's a very wooded course in Ruston, LA, There is only a few holes where you need a long straight drive over 100 yards (300'). We usually play about every day, my friends and I. My best score so far is a 4 over 58 on the 18 hole all par 3 course. We play from the farthest tee's, which i assume are the pro tee's.

Anyway this is a fun game and I hope to learn alot from ya'll.
innova pro wraith

Innova shark
wraith
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 pm

if you look through the archieves youll find a couple times this has been brought up. What you will read is its easier to learn a forehand, however there is alot more potential backhand. Dont stop throwing the forhand, buf if you learn a good backhand you should be able to throw a bit longer than you ever will forehand. Having both shots is great, especially when you learn to ride the wind.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby wraith » Tue May 16, 2006 1:45 pm

thanks for the reply. As part of another forum, i try to find most of the answers without asking questions. But i gotta make a first post somehow.

Anyway thanks for the answer, I stayed up pretty late last night reading this sight and watching some videos on the pdga tv website.

For the first year I've played disc golf, I used a backhand release entirely with an Innova Spider. I lost the Spider and now use my fiance's Shark. She just doesn't like playing as much as I do. I seem to be pretty accurate with the Shark inside 250 feet.

I bought a brand new Pro Wraith a few weeks ago and Love it. I use it forehand and some shorter backhand. I have some work to do on getting serious distance with a backhand release, but hey thats one of the reasons i joined this forum.

Probably fixing to go play here shortly.
innova pro wraith

Innova shark
wraith
Noob

Return to Technique