Trajectory of Max D

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trajectory of Max D

Postby Aaron_D » Fri May 19, 2006 4:21 pm

When I try to throw a max D line on an open hole (hyzer flip) I am having trouble turning the disc over when aiming to the left of my target, This leads to my drives missing WAY off to the left. I can easily get the turn if I aim straight or to the right of the target...but then I miss to the right of my intended line. Is there something I can do to help me get the turn and a leftward trajectory? I have plenty of power and snap and it seems adjusting power and snap doesnt affect the turn. Help me Blakebiwon Kenobi.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby roadkill » Fri May 19, 2006 4:42 pm

Aaron,

I would guess it's related to your teepad alignment and the direction of your steps leading into your throw.

I believe your steps should should be in the direction you want to release your throw regardless of which way the teepad points. On a left to right turnover shot my steps are often diagonal accross the teepad because I want to start my shot from the left side of the fairway.

I've seen other players make timing, balance or stance adjustments in an attempt to accomplish this but often end up with less than desirable results.

Others may disagree with my diagnosis, but if you're able to shape the shot starting from straight and working right then if you angle your steps 45 degrees left so you're traversing diagonally from one corner of the pad to the other you should be able to achieve the same shot shape only starting left.

Make sense?

PS 45 degrees maybe a little too far left I just used that as an example. The key thing is your steps should be in a straight line with your intended trajectory.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 19, 2006 5:13 pm

/agrees with roadkill.

i do teach to keep the foot orientation of the steps related to a throw in the forward direction as well though. for a distance line, even if you are pushing something 30 degrees out to the left, the main goal is to move forwards, and thus, the body's extension should be going forwards, even if the throwing mechanics are going left.

this is basically the same concept as an open or closed stance in baseball. an open stance will have the left foot behind the right, but the toes will still be pointing 90 degrees away from the pitcher. while an open stance will make it easier to pull the ball and a closed stance will make it easier to push the ball, both players will likely have similar power zones.

this is also covered in my aiming with the body article covering "direction of the steps."

2 things that may help you with getting the disc to flip.
1) focus on pulling the disc INTO the turn rather than throwing it to the flip. your finish and follow through should reflect this. any torque that will need to make this happen will likely happen automatically if you are zoned in on throwing the disc into the bank (basically you are "aiming" to a point below and beyond the apex and at least 100' away from the tee).

2) try taking a bigger step with your pivot/plant (make sure your knee is quite bent with this too.)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique