Grip on high profile discs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip on high profile discs

Postby garublador » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:09 am

I've been having fantastic results by using what I've learned in the grip article...when I throw a driver. However, when I throw a higher profile disc (most putters, some midranges like the Millennium Aurora or Quantium MS) I have trouble getting a good release with a power grip (I use "Ver. 1" from the grip article for a visual reference). I tend to get a lot of flutter, not a lot of distance and frequently turn over the discs when I use a power grip.

When I drive with my putters I use sort of a version of a fan/control grip where I fan out my middle, ring and pinky fingers underneath the disc and hook my outermost joint of my index finger under the rim and use that as my rip point. That seems to work well and I'm able to get accurate drives between 200'-220' or so.

However, with my Aurora MS I'm not able to generate mid-range type distances with that grip and would like to be able to do that. I'm able to get rid of some of the flutter with a power grip, but when I do that I don't get a very good rip and end up shorter than my putters. Does anyone have any advice for modification to my grip for higher profile discs that may help?

If anyone's interested, the insparation for getting a disc like the Aurora MS came from two places. The first is hole 5 on the course at Edina, MN. It's about a 280' hole with the pin at about the same level as the tee, but on a hill that leads to the parking lot behind it (20'-30'), to a road and lake on the left side and to some big pine trees on the right side. Too much power and you're in the parking lot explaining how you dented a car; too far to the left and you're swimming for your disc, too much to the right and you're throwing around giant trees. There's also a tree 20' in front of the tee that blocks about any sort of hyzer line. If I use a midrange with any decent fade, I have to either go for a short s-curve, which I find wildly inaccurate, a sidearm throw, which unless it's straight will end up in a pine tree or throw a putter and come up short. I see this distance as being a hole in my game. The other inspration came from finding a misstamped Aurora MS and a misstamped QMS on sale.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:40 am

the flutter and turnover you are referring to is caused by off-axis torque.

i use a fork grip to throw taller discs as i am less apt to have the pads of my lock fingers hang on too long.

as for your "fan grip," it's not going to be a powerful grip unless you have a lock point on the rim or shift the index finger orientation to where it is a single point rip/lock. also, with a fan grip, it is the middle finger that acts as the rip point when people use the fan grip for D. if the index is still the rip, then it's more of a slide grip which will not yield a lot of D in the long run.

i suggest sliding your pinkey back onto the rim.

also, the aurora MS cannot handle a lot of snap before it starts turning over due to speed... but this is only really important in the 270'+ range.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:07 am

Blake_T wrote:the flutter and turnover you are referring to is caused by off-axis torque.

i use a fork grip to throw taller discs as i am less apt to have the pads of my lock fingers hang on too long.

as for your "fan grip," it's not going to be a powerful grip unless you have a lock point on the rim or shift the index finger orientation to where it is a single point rip/lock. also, with a fan grip, it is the middle finger that acts as the rip point when people use the fan grip for D. if the index is still the rip, then it's more of a slide grip which will not yield a lot of D in the long run.

i suggest sliding your pinkey back onto the rim.

also, the aurora MS cannot handle a lot of snap before it starts turning over due to speed... but this is only really important in the 270'+ range.

Thanks. I'll try the pinky thing. Should I also wrap my index finger all the way around the rim with the putters as well?

My lock fingers hanging on too long seems to be where I have trouble too. My index finger is the rip point on what I'll now call the slide grip that I have been using on putters. I feel like pushing my limits with this grip has acutally helped some other aspects of my throw, but is also limiting my distance. It seems to be very accurate for me so it might be a nice trick to have in my bag.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:40 pm

it actually is a "fan grip" but should only really be used on approach shots. if it makes you more accurate in these situations, by all means use it, just keep in mind that it's not a driving/distance grip.

for getting good rip on midranges/putters the same principles apply. the more force you can exert on the wall of the rim into your hand, the more rip you can get.

as for hanging on with the lock, this is usually a sign you aren't getting a lot of snap which may either be due to the arm motion or your center of balance (if you are leaned back or to the right).
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:38 am

What's a fork grip?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:24 pm

check out the grip article on the main site under the instructional articles section.
Blake_T

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:57 am

I use a fork grip stacked grip variation that works extremely well.

Use the middle, ring and pinky fingers as you would in a normal fan grip, and then extend your index finger along the rim. slowly move it under the disc until the rim/bead sits in the bend of your second index fingers second knuckle. Now press your thumb on that location on the top of the disc and press your middle, ring and pinkey fingers like you are trying to close your hand through the disc.

I find i get a great rip point off of my index finger, while providing the necessary friction i need off of my other three fingers.
LastBoyScout

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

I've recently gone to this: index and little finger gripping the rim and middle and ring finger splayed out. This worked very well with my demon. I'm not sure of the buzz; I think the wind was affecting it.

I saw this grip on this site somewhere. I just didnt feel I was getting enough snap with a fan grip.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:10 pm

you just described using the fan grip.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique