Broke through a plateau Today

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Broke through a plateau Today

Postby DiscCrusher » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 pm

I had been stuck with my average drive (x-step but no runup) right around 320' feet for some time, pushing out my long drives around 335' or so when hit the right lines. I am able to throw near 350' when I use a large runup and hit the right line, but I lose some consistency and accuracy doing this so I've still been looking for an increase in D from tequnique. Well today I tried something different but that I have tried in the past with minimal success and gave up on. During my X-step I always turn my lower and upper body completly away from my intended target. This seems natural and works fairly well. But I know most really good players do not do this so I decided to adjust my mechanics. So I try doing my x-step and have my lower body stop approximately 110 degrees while still getting my upper torso 180 degrees away. And presto with no additional effort added at least 10-15 feet of distance on all three uphill holes I was practicing on. It got dark but I would say this is probably a 20-30 feet increase in distance on flat ground. I was putting my groups of drives within 10 feet of a 320 foot uphill hole with my best disc only a couple feet short of the basket. And throwing past both 300 foot uphill holes that I usually can only barely get to or land a little short on. It seems that I have basically tightened the coil in my body and therefore uncoil faster. I think now with a big runup and some practice I'll be throwing well over 350' consistently. This is really great for me because for 2 years I struggled to get even 300' and my first 6 months or so I could barely get 200'. Any comments on this this are welcome and I just want to add that my successes have all been after switching to the bent elbow technique even though at first It killed my distance and accuracy :!: Thanks Blake for putting your knowledge out there for us. This site rocks.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 22, 2006 9:06 pm

congrats.

btw, it's also easier to focus power into the finish if you don't turn your upper body a full 180 either.

i generally teach a reach where the backside of the right shoulder faces the target during the reach but the rest of my back is not rotated that far.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby DiscCrusher » Mon May 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Cool, this is something else I'll have to try, because one thing I noticed with this new tecniuque was that I really seemed to be getting more of my weight forward like you talk alot about. Come to think of it I may actually have naturally turned my upper body away slightly less than usual but still got my right shoulder extended back and that could be helping. Now i'm starting to understand what you describe in your instructional articles about power coming more from the finish and being able to stand more upright using the bent elbow as apposed to leaning way back to gain forward speed. This is great because just like you say in your articles it is not only adding to my disc speed, but is also much more efficient and easier to do.
DiscCrusher
Noob

I also broke through a plateau yesterday

Postby Denver Discer » Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 am

Threw every single disc on the course about 20 feet farther than normal, not usually good when some of the holes are short and have water behind them....but didn't lose any and walked away with a bogey free -4. I don't want Blake to make fun of me for what I changed so I don't really want to mention it ;) (I finally stopped lifting my left arm and throwing from under it)

Peace
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby Pagan » Tue May 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Blake_T wrote:congrats.

btw, it's also easier to focus power into the finish if you don't turn your upper body a full 180 either.

i generally teach a reach where the backside of the right shoulder faces the target during the reach but the rest of my back is not rotated that far.

Ahhh Haaaa! CLICK! I just got it! THis explains why when I'm having a "half-assed" reachback I seem to get better distance. Usually after my 2nd or 3rd round...

See it's the "little things" like that.

Wish I could have ya throw a round with me Blake. A round with you and I'd probably add 50' to my drives and enlarge my putting range by 15' at least.
Too bad you're in Minn, and I'm in ND... :-(
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 pm

haha scott.

finally eh?

i'll miss your statue of liberty form (which is the new way i'm going to describe that from now on even though i just made it up).

pagan:

you live one state away... most people live like, at least double that :P

just rally the troops and make a dg trip to MN.
Blake_T

Statue of Liberty?

Postby Denver Discer » Wed May 24, 2006 12:21 am

Nope no more statue of liberty for me. Only two more big things to work on....changing my grip to a power grip and getting a smaller run up because none of the courses here have long enough teepads for my quarter mile run up.

And Pagan MINNESOTA COURSES ARE THE BOMB!!!!!!!

Peace
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby jHarr » Wed May 24, 2006 7:52 am

Pagan wrote:
Wish I could have ya throw a round with me Blake. A round with you and I'd probably add 50' to my drives and enlarge my putting range by 15' at least.
Too bad you're in Minn, and I'm in ND... :-(
Pagan

5 day disc golf camps, different course every day, going from shorter courses to longer (putteronly mondays)... maybe a couple times a summer with 10ish golfers for ?$500/per? incl. lodging & dinners/ simple lunches...
/thinkin out loud- & its probably been covered before

sure wish I had a resource like this when I started flingin golf discs around- trying to correct form and grip issues is progressing slowly as I try to balance what I know I need to fix with maintaining a decently competitive game...
jHarr
Noob

Postby krusen » Wed May 24, 2006 11:30 am

Blake_T wrote:pagan:

Pagan: Let me know if you're considering that. It'd be cool to play some rounds with some others from this board. I could use some more guidance from Blake too.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Pagan » Wed May 24, 2006 9:11 pm

krusen wrote:
Blake_T wrote:pagan:

Pagan: Let me know if you're considering that. It'd be cool to play some rounds with some others from this board. I could use some more guidance from Blake too.

If only I had the money too. *sigh* changing jobs now... If I could setup a group travel thing believe me I would.

I drive down to KC Missouri Sunday to get my daughter for the summer. Want to introduce her to disc golf. Hoping she likes it (or at least doesn't hate it) so we can play together. So I have 3 days to refine my form and add 150' to my distance so she can learn from a jedi master of disc golf. LOL I mention that because I am hoping to play a round at one of the dg coureses in KC Missouri. I hear Swope is in a very bad area (crime-wise). Is Water-Works good? Cost anything to play etc?

Blake: it's Off-Topic, BUT: Any experience instructing proper form to 13 year old girls???

Pagan
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 24, 2006 9:32 pm

I cant say I broke a plateau today, but I did break a mental barrier. I played a decent round at tags (took lowest tag for the first time, im usually one off :? )

But the reason I was happy (wasnt my best score) is I broke my putting mental barrier that Ive been stuck behind a couple weeks. I played a whole round no bogeys and no OB and of course made all my comeback putts.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 24, 2006 9:35 pm

water works is considered to be one of the best courses in the world.

i've had no experience with teaching 13 year old girls
Blake_T

Postby jHarr » Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 pm

http://www.kcfdc.org/

waterworks in north KC was my "home" course for 2yrs, great fun, lots of hills/elevation...
probably a course close to whatever side of town yer on and it sounds like the course ain't the focus anyway...
rosedale's their oldest I believe- also very good and much flatter
I wouldn't worry 'bout swope during the day, south from where I lived- handy to the plaza...
jHarr
Noob

Postby Pagan » Thu May 25, 2006 12:55 am

fineline wrote:http://www.kcfdc.org/

waterworks in north KC was my "home" course for 2yrs, great fun, lots of hills/elevation...
probably a course close to whatever side of town yer on and it sounds like the course ain't the focus anyway...
rosedale's their oldest I believe- also very good and much flatter
I wouldn't worry 'bout swope during the day, south from where I lived- handy to the plaza...

Thank fineline. Honestly I don't know KC at all. I know my parents live just south of I-70 about exit 20 or so. I am hoping they know the area well enough to get us there. I wanted to visit Disc Golf World but since lost job might not be able too now. Regardless My InStep protable will be packed in the trunk of the car. Worse comes to worse I'll setup the basket and practice some putt's approaches.

Wonder if the neighbors would bitch if I started running 200' drives through the neighborhood??? ;-)
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique