practicing driving with putters

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

practicing driving with putters

Postby Jestyr » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 pm

I know that many people here recommend practicing driving with your putter... okay, no problem.

BUT, everyone also seems to advocate using a BB Aviar or Wizard for this -- I currently use a Aviar P&A and saw no reason to change (or spend the money) to get 5 new putters.

Can I practice driving with the Aviar P&A, or should I get a different putter? Also, when I have tried to throw my putters for distance, I always seem to flip them HARD right. I am not a big thrower, so I am guessing this is because I am creating off-axis torque. What are some ways I can work on this? I could throw them all as hyzer-flips, I suppose, but that doesn't work on throwing them flat and far... is that okay?
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 3:34 pm

the reason wizards/challegners/bb avairs are reccomended is they are accually pretty high speed stable.

You can practice with the p&a, it will teach you alot about your form, but they wont be as long, predictable or as wind friendly as the three mentioned above.

Remeber when driving, especially a putter especially a smooth release and overall smooth form will yield the best results.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 5:54 pm

Patrick summed it up.

aviars will fly stable up to around 250' but after that they will want to turn.

the straight distance flight path with an aviar putter is a hyzer flip.

if they dive hard you are definitely torquing them, but also may be putting too much nose down on them as they are not a super stable mold.

you can eliminate torque by working on throwing gentle hyzers that hold the same angle their entire flight (work on it until you can do it).

aviar putters are a very difficult disc to learn to throw over 300' unless you already have tremendous amounts of snap.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby LastBoyScout » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:37 am

I bend my wrist when I throw my Aviar PnA. I can get them out to 300 on a flat path with very little trail off at the end. As far as switching discs, try the new Star Aviar PnA. I love it even better, it has better lift and will hold a hyzer into a headwind if you use the bent wrist throw. Seems like I can get these Star Aviars a little further than DX with less effort. You really have to throw at nipple level or higher to allow the disc to gain as much height as possible.

Trust me on this though. When you have a really nice tail wind, nothing beats parking a hole and when someone asks, "What did you throw?", saying a DX Aviar and watching their jaws drop.

Today's putters were yesteryear's drivers. Remember that.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique