Flipping Birds

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Flipping Birds

Postby Aaron_D » Thu May 25, 2006 6:45 pm

I saw Blake write that the hallmark of the Teebird was that guys with 480' of power wouldnt flip it if thrown correctly. I have about 350' of gold D and 425'-450' of pure D and am having trouble flipping my Teebirds on super hard throws or when there is a headwind. Why are they flipping on me and not with guys with even more power? Granted this question is more just for my own knowledge as I usually throw valks or beasts on anything where max D comes into play and there is room for some L-R action. I was just wondering what those power throwers are doing to keep the bird stable at such high velocities.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 7:30 pm

most guys going 480' are throwing 11x kc or champ teebirds which are more stable than dx. my longest throw with a dx teebird was in the realm of 475' and it didn't flip (although it flattened from a 50 deg hyzer).

i believe the answer to your question falls into the way you asked it. the teebird has a tall profile and will flip with a headwind in dx plastic.

also, "super hard throws" implies that you are trying to muscle/overpower the disc which is usually a cause for off-axis torque.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:45 pm

I can throw dx teebirds over 375 on a straight line fairly consistantly (they have made a couple nudges at me to re-replace my sabres, but arent there yet at all)
it just takes some hyzer and a clean release
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 27, 2006 7:48 am

Blake_T wrote:i believe the answer to your question falls into the way you asked it. the teebird has a tall profile and will flip with a headwind in dx plastic.

Argghhhh!!!

I asked the same question.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=654

It is true that if you put enough heyser on one it will stay flat. I find that super heyser throws are harder to keep on a nose down, penetrating tradjectory. Do, that being said I have ahard time throwing low mega heysers.

I would suggest getting a max weight blue DX and try that. They are the stiffest and the most stable for me.

Then I wold suggest a 170 Banshee, which is like a Teebird with less flip, but not as much glide and not quite as long. Very throwable thow though (a good rim match for Teebirds and Cyclones) and cheap in DX. i have no interest in a champ or Star Teebird and I have both.

I want ot get an X Xtra and try that also.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 27, 2006 10:02 am

low trajectory mega hyzers require a TON of weight forward to get them nose down.
Blake_T

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 27, 2006 10:59 am

Blake_T wrote:low trajectory mega hyzers require a TON of weight forward to get them nose down.

For standard shot I need a bullet headwind driver that will glide...Ha!!!!

I am going to get a X Pred, D Reaper, or Xtra or something... which ever one feels the best.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 27, 2006 2:09 pm

none of those really have a ton of glide.

the longest gliding overstable discs out there that will handle a headwind are probably the elite x reaper, x xtra, and x avenger.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 12:03 am

x reaper is a great choice. X avenger is good but not as stable, the x reaper accually reminds me of a Z avenger now that I think of it (I havent thought of the x reaper in a while, that was a good disc)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun May 28, 2006 8:51 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:x reaper is a great choice. X avenger is good but not as stable, the x reaper accually reminds me of a Z avenger now that I think of it (I havent thought of the x reaper in a while, that was a good disc)

I got a D Reaper and an X Pred. Both appear to be good discs and do exactly what you said. I think the Pred has more glide, but I will keep throwing.

I did see an XTra in the used bin that looked brand new. It looks like a flattened Eagle to me. So, should I get it and try it too?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Aaron_D » Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 am

so a champ teebird wont flip into a headwind?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 10:59 am

thrown right a cham bird wont flip into most winds.

Keep in mind Ive owned 2 X reapers, and 1 d reaper:
I think the X reapers accually have more glide, and handle wind a bit better. However D reapers broken in become pretty versitle, and are one of the best thumber discs I know of.

The Xtra is slower than a pred, but about the same in stability. I would say hold out for a z pred, it will compliment the x pred better anyways.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon May 29, 2006 4:55 pm

I am really digging my X Pred. Like a Banshee flight but a little hotter.

I like the way it feels in my hand. The lip is like a Cyclone, and it is fast and overstable.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 29, 2006 5:19 pm

my z pred is very overstable. totally laughs at headwinds.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Tue May 30, 2006 9:31 pm

long story short...i got a champ teebird. it flies extremely stable and i can really toss this disc far without worrying about it flipping. not giving up my dx birds tho.

i think ill keep both dx and champ birds in my bag!

(side note: i got a dx gazelle and think it is the sweetest disc! awesome glide and nice rim)
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby presidio hills » Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 am

yeah,

i got a dx gazelle from the dude who fishes discs out of the berkeley pond. it's pretty understable... must be beat in... but it turns very slowly and controlably. z glide throwers should really try a beat in dx gazelle. the flight plate is REALLY thick too, making it feel awsome.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Technique