defeating wrist roll over and off-axis torque remnants

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

defeating wrist roll over and off-axis torque remnants

Postby Jones » Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 pm

I've gotten better about rolling over my wrist but it still creeps up on me, and its more apparent when I'm throwing drivers. Are there any field exercises that I could do to help knock it out? I've gone out and thrown hyzers for hours and such but it seems like I still roll it over. I have a stack of dx teebirds that I have been practicing with and I turn them over quite a bit, when I know I am not supposed to.
My stand still drives are a lot smoother and cleaner then with the x-step, but I still do it some then too.

I'd really like to defeat this monster because it is killing me slowly, especially on windy days. Any ideas would be great.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Pagan » Thu May 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Try to be more conscious of the back of your hand on your follow through. If your a righty backhander imagine that you are bitch-slapping the right side of the teepad instead of karate-chopping it... Left would of course reverse...

There are situations where a wrist roll is a good thing however. ;-)
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Id say dont try to kill the disc, if its only when youre throwing drivers Im geussing its when you really want to reach a pin thats hard to get to.

slow down and be smooth, the distance will come, and you wont worry about using all your muscle.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Fri May 26, 2006 1:17 am

just go nice and easy, make the number one priority getting the disc on the line your trying to throw, and finish strong (that last split second when you snap it all the way to the follow through). be relaxed before the finish strong part so you can get it on the line.
focusing on these two things, in that order, is what's been helping me be more consistent on drives lately.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 1:45 am

well, if the hyzer drills don't work, i'm guessing you aren't getting your weight forward on your controlled drives when you use an x-step and probably aren't keeping your shoulders on the disc plane into the follow through.

three things you can try:
1) working on a lot of shots that involve or can include conscious wrist roll, e.g. turnover rollers, roll curves, overstable flex shots, etc.

2) work on making sure your finish continues on the plane you need.

3) working on a lot of shots that involve wrist roll under.

i would say more people shoulder torque than wrist roll.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jones » Fri May 26, 2006 9:45 am

it very well could be more of my shoulders and or weight forward with a slight wrist roll. I wish I could get a video camera to record myself again, as I can push my mids out to around 300, and my drivers a tad bit more. I know I can get to 360 or so, because I do it on occasion. I just wish I could reach it consistently.

It is just very frustrating when I pick a driver and then throw my roc right after that and get them very close to each other.

I am right hand backhand with a 4 finger power grip. I've tried 3 and 2 finger grips but they did not work as well.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Technique