Putting with a mid-range

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting with a mid-range

Postby coogs » Wed May 31, 2006 8:09 am

I've been really working hard on my putting over the last month and the dividends are starting to pay off, but I have a question.

I find that if I'm outside of 15ft I'm more comfortable, and more accurate, putting with my mid-range (Roc) than my putter (Aviar). Does anyone else do this, or for putting's sake should I try and replace the Roc with the Aviar at those distances? Any lie that is 30+ feet I find that I can put my Roc on an almost straight line to the chains, but I just can't do that with the Aviar.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 31, 2006 8:21 am

this was discussed last week in the "putting with a comet" thread in the equip section.

basically,

1) mids will have a much longer fly by than putters.
2) you SHOULD be able to putt with a putter to at least 35' (i know many players that can give legitimate runs on 100' jump putts).
3) if you can't make a putter fly 20', that is a problem with your form and not the disc, and the best long run result is with changing how you putt.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby coogs » Wed May 31, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks, I'll check out the other thread.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Wed May 31, 2006 4:34 pm

I'm a big fan of learning how to putt with a roc, and not being afraid of putting with different discs.

There are two of us in our extended group who putt with different things (me an aviar, classic roc and a roc; my buddy an aero aviar and a roc), and I think it gives us a chance to make shots that other people don't make.

The only guy who makes more long putts than we do is an old guy who is simply amazing hurling his super puppy at everything.

That said, for straight putts under 40' or so, just use your money putter and don't think about it.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:00 am

i'm fine with people deciding to putt with a roc AFTER they have a good stroke with a putter.

what happens 99% of the time is people have a poor putt release and rather than fix the release they gravitate towards shallow discs.

it's a question of HAVE TO vs. CHOOSE TO.

if you make 70% of your putts from 30' with an aviar, and 80% of your putts from 30' with a roc, then you would CHOOSE to putt with a roc probably.

if you make 70% of your putts from 30' with a roc and 10% of your putts from 30' with an aviar, your stroke is messed up and you have some work to do.
Blake_T

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:43 pm

I used to do the same thing until i got my wizard. I feel i can putt from farther away with it. But ill still whip out the roc sometimes if i need to putt around a tree, or if im off with my longer putts.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Darklord » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:41 pm

There are times when I will putt with a midrange(roc), and sometimes even a driver. If its windy or if I have restricted motion or must blast through vegetation, I will pull out either one. The flatter profile allows for a more direct line to the basket. In my experiences, the blowbyes are no problem because I putt with little spin and misses crash quickly. Beware of unlevel ground. Don't be afraid to be different. Throw what will go in the basket.
"Short and safe is better than long and lost".
Darklord
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:49 pm

again, i will advise to "choose to" rather than "have to" any time it comes to any "odd" shot or technique.

i find too much advice ends up putting developing players into habits as a cop-out to learning and then choosing situationally
Blake_T

Return to Technique