More Wrist Stuff

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: More Wrist Stuff

Postby Redisculous » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:55 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
Stop the elbow. Yes. Stop the elbow. The only real way to extend the lower arm is to stop the elbow while continuing to open the shoulders. The shoulders continue to open but the elbow nearly stops in space, in fact it almost moves back and to the right.

Stopping the elbow starts the arm chop, and is the first step to flying the wrist open.

For the last few months (since I started doing right pec drills)I have been agonizing over whether or not I should ask someone what I should be doing with my upper arm, I think this post has almost exactly answered my question.

If I am understanding this correctly, from the right pec position, I will turn my shoulders, and chop my arm, but my upper arm will stay relatively motionless until later in the elbow chop. When I do this, ths shoulders don't really pull my arm or elbow AROUND, but are almost pulling back, straightening my arm out slowly, then very quickly near the end of the elbow chop. I have read people describing the throw as cracking a whip, and I would descrip this feeling as the sudden tug as the whip nears full extension to cause it to crack....

Is this correct or am I way off?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:37 pm

That sounds correct.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Parks wrote:
Do you mean stop its forward motion or stop its rotation open?

It is forward. Now stop it. Chop the lower arm.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:42 pm

I am going to stand firm on my thumb lock after playing 36 holes today.

When I eject the disc into the thumb lock with the right timing, the disc takes off like a rocket.

I also showed it to my playing partner. He got the idea immediately.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
Parks wrote:
Do you mean stop its forward motion or stop its rotation open?

It is forward. Now stop it. Chop the lower arm.

Here's a nice self diagnosis aid: Walk in exaggeratedly slow motion as slow as it takes to see how your elbow is moving in 3D. When you get to the elbow forward position with the torso still pointing close to 90 degrees left of the target RHBH you start to pivot with the legs and twist with the hips then turning the shoulders. When you're doing those the elbow doesn't change position a lot at all in 3D. A few inches perhaps but not a lot. Even while you're chopping the lower arm forward. For a clean release the shoulder turn does move the whole arm right inches before the rip. That's the first time the elbow should start moving in 3D quickly and a lot in distance. You do need that elbow quick acceleration inches before the rip for a good follow through and your health in dissipating all the momentum of the arm.

If you can video yourself doing that extra slo mo you can watch yourself from the side where this is quite visible and you can look at it over and over again until you get it. Or see that your elbow ain't almost totally stopping for a while about where the hit starts to inches before the elbow is chopped straight and the disc leaves the fingers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique