Finally figured something out

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finally figured something out

Postby Tim H » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 am

I had broken through a plateau a few weeks ago and was carry the disc a good 280'-320' on the course. Things seemed to be going well, but I really had to put a lot of hyzer on the disc (at least 30 degrees) and I was loosing a little control. I just thought it was the extra distance or maybe rolling the wrist a little too much.

After having a bad round I reread one of the articles on this site and I realized I was doing something very wrong. I always, ALWAYS used a right to left run up. It always felt like I was leaning back when I released the disc and I couldn't figure out why. Looking forward to playing a round this weekend to see if a straight or left to right run up fixes this problem.

Sorry for the long post, but any feedback you can give me on why it feels like I'm leaning back or whether changing your run up has changed your shot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim H
Tim H
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:12 am

runup is something I see alot of people struggle with (including a local pro or two...) Alot of people run up right to left wether theyre throwing a sky roller or a knife hyzer :shock:

I think that the swooping arm motion required to throw a knife hyzer walking up right to left robs you of power, and more improtantly accuracy, becuase youre essentially throwing backwards.

I use my run up to my advantage every way I can. Throwing knife hyzers I start on the side of the teepad and my x step is approx 75 degrees from the target, and the oppisite for sky rollers.

Its good to see that you are figureing things out, good luck learning to utilize your runup.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:16 pm

it will feel like you are leaning back if you use a back right to front left runup and do not get your weight forward.

it's much easier to get a feeling of weight forward with a straight on approach.

most players tend to use a br to fl runup as that approach makes it easier to turn discs over... which is more a commentary on which discs they are throwing.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Finally figured something out

Postby Pagan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Tim H wrote:I had broken through a plateau a few weeks ago and was carry the disc a good 280'-320' on the course. Things seemed to be going well, but I really had to put a lot of hyzer on the disc (at least 30 degrees) and I was loosing a little control. I just thought it was the extra distance or maybe rolling the wrist a little too much.

After having a bad round I reread one of the articles on this site and I realized I was doing something very wrong. I always, ALWAYS used a right to left run up. It always felt like I was leaning back when I released the disc and I couldn't figure out why. Looking forward to playing a round this weekend to see if a straight or left to right run up fixes this problem.

Sorry for the long post, but any feedback you can give me on why it feels like I'm leaning back or whether changing your run up has changed your shot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim H

ditto!
A local semi-pro was telling me that I am still arching my back too much and folowing through. When I focus on my form my distance and accuracey shoots way up. Trouble is I'm still get lazey and fall back to my arching back, weight not forward, no follow throuhg after a few holes... Need to make it a "habbit" to focus on my form more... When I focus on my form, and release I can add an extra 30-50 feet easily. The folow through help a LOT.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Tim H » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:09 am

Runup was only part of my problem. Like Pagan, I think I just get sloppy sometimes in my form. The straight runup helped me to keep better form, but it was no guarantee. The only cool moment in my play this weekend was finally getting a birdie putt on the 360' tight nasty number four at Sahm (the fairway is only 10 feet in some places). The drive requires a slight turnover shot at least 300' to even get a look at the basket without a tree in the way. I finally got there 300' with a 167 Champion Leopard. I missed the putt, but still I had a putt. Ohh, I made a 80' putt to save par on one hole. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know how I progress.

By the way Blake, Thanks for putting together such an awesome sight. It's helped my game tremendously :D 8) :D

EDIT:: I found that slowing down my approach helped my form more than anything else :D
Tim H
Noob

Return to Technique