stuck and im unsure what to do

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

stuck and im unsure what to do

Postby monter_masher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Hey everyone, ive been playing disc golf for about 2 years now and ive hit a distance plateau I have looked at diffrent technique and grips and stuff and now my throw is so messed up I dont know where to start. So I was wondering do people have pictueres of the sidearm powergrip? from the top and the bottom of the disc? and Can you tell me our give me some links to articles about snap,grip, and throwing when throwning sidearm. Or I was thinking should I start over and start learning back hand? again I would like links to stuff about snap,grip, and throw and stuff about backhand. thanks for your input.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Trekari » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Just a hunch...

www.discgolfreview.com
Trekari
Noob

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:11 pm

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml

its all right on this site pretty much.

I drive 300-350+ sidearm with a two finger grip. it goes 350+ when I get the right s curve. i've done it with a 175 and a 171 monster and also a 174 beast.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

backhand...

Postby Bart » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:58 pm

While sidearm is great, you should definitely try and learn to throw backhand. In the long run, you will be able to get much more distance from backhand.

The articles on discgolfreview.com will really help you begin, plus I would suggest watching some of the video of the pros drive under the technique analysis section. Play close attention to the X-step they take as they drive and the use of their body to gain power. The articles will also give you a description of what you are looking at. Let everyone know any questions you have about the articles, etc.

By the way, what about your throw are you struggling with? Distance? Accuracy?
Bart
Noob

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:39 am

Bart is right. when I started to learn side arm and started using it more for dogleg rights and stuff my backhand suffered. I played for a year and a half with only backhand until a few holes that really kicked right got me to learn sidearm. at the time my technique wasn't the greatest and I was getting more distance side arm so I started to over use it and completely lost my backhand. at the start of this year i had a real crap backhand. after straighting out a few things and reading lots of these articles I got a good backhand back thats fairly consistent. I can use a control grip with great accuracy inside of 275', anything longer then that I use a power grip, I just learned the power grip and I am really struggling with it at times, sometimes its good. the point is, at the start of the year when I was doing mainly side arm my avg score at my home course was +2 for 18 holes. now that my backhand is back to where it was a few years ago (its better now then it ever was) my avg score at my home course is between -2 and -3 for 18 holes. it can only get better from here.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:32 pm

well I want to learn backhand anyways but with my sidearm shots there not consistent sometimes the go hard left or right sometimes straight. and Ive tried new grips and stuff and its really throwing my game on my home course I would get 0-3 or 9 holes and now im usally 7 or above. So I think im going to learn back hand and then also try to fix my sidearm throw because I had some holes that curve a hardright and it makes sense to throw sidearm on them. But do you guys know anyother sites that have pictures of how you hold the disc when throwing sidearm from the top and bottom? and also is there an article that explains snap when throwing sidearm? the one on discgolfreview doesnt help me much. and thanks for your guys input.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:18 pm

can you sidearm a putter or midrange on an approach shot? if you can sidearm something like a roc out past 200' then your form should be pretty good... if you can't... you should go out in the field and see if you can teach yourself to.
my only rule with sidearm grip is that whatever finger has its pad pushed against the rim, that finger must be fully extended. people usually use their index or their middle finger (either supported with the index right next to it, or the index finger spread out a little).
also, i make sure your throw is more in the wrist than the arm. too much arm and the disc will flutter.
generally, i start holding the disc with my elbow up (same height as my hand), then my elbow drops and comes across my body... when my elbow gets just in front of my hand (so it is now leading/pulling the forearm) i snap my wrist.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:40 pm

I do it the same way pretty much I get a nice little run up. my elbow is up and bent at one point almost pointing upwards. I come straight across my body at right around my waist , i snap my wrist hard when my body turns and my hand is aiming at its target. I keep my wrist down and open and it works real good.

the grip is simple, two fingers underneatht the disc. my middle finger is against the rim of the disc and my other finger is right next to it but not squezzing against my other finger very hard. I dont grip the rim of the disc too firm, I keep it somewhat loose. I only tighten it a bit before I snap it out. hope that helps and hope it works for you. I'm not saying my way is right and its going to work for you but its helped me out greatly and a few of my buddies.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:01 pm

thanks for the advice but I was wondering does anyone have a some vidoes of backhand throws in slomo?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:15 pm

monter_masher wrote:thanks for the advice but I was wondering does anyone have a some vidoes of backhand throws in slomo?

not slomo but watch these

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... hue2.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... bon2.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ield.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ill2.shtml
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Theres one part about the throw that I still dont get I read the article on driving form and technique and I understand how to do the x step and all that but when you step with your right leg on the final step of the x step and you pull the disc across your chest how do you release it from there? and get the snap on it?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:02 pm

monter_masher wrote:Theres one part about the throw that I still dont get I read the article on driving form and technique and I understand how to do the x step and all that but when you step with your right leg on the final step of the x step and you pull the disc across your chest how do you release it from there? and get the snap on it?

oh sorry, i posted side arm.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ysis.shtml

just click on any player. timmy gill has a short x step video on discgolftv.com under lessons.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:09 am

you don't "release" the disc. it should rip out.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby monter_masher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:45 am

ok so when you do the snap the disc if supposed to rip out?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Pagan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:51 am

monter_masher wrote:ok so when you do the snap the disc if supposed to rip out?

Think of it as more of a "starting a lawn mower" motion than a "windmill" motion. when you are reached back and have your disc angle in place, the motion should be a straight forward across your chest and aimed at your flight line motion. When you do this at full speed the disc will be catapulted forward ripping out of your grip rather than a release. The ripping helps generate "snap". Somewhere I read that you should practice your pull through against a wall. Leave enough room to get the disc through in a straighter motion between your chest and the wall.

Help me out here guys I suck at explaining things...

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique