Looks like you don't need much of a "run up"

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looks like you don't need much of a "run up"

Postby Midnightbiker » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:02 pm

I always seem to take quite a few steps before my release, and these guys in this video only seem to take a couple of steps and are sending the disc about 400 ft! :shock: Is it really that easy to get that much distance? I think I have been trying too hard. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTkUMvLA1es
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby mark12b » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:30 pm

yeah, i'd guess that most folks who use a run-up don't really benefit from it. i do an x-step but that's all, and my max d these days is 340. i doubt that adding a runup before the x-step would add anything except timing problems.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Dude...I wish my torso could turn like that.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby rromeo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Those guys are smooth!
rromeo
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:25 pm

That's about all anyone I know does for their throws, and there're plenty of people I play league with breaking 400. There's one guy I'm on a card witih a lot at league that does a single step throw and is always out past 350...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 pm

it's all about maximizing the torque of your hip/shoulder rotation along with your arm whipping through.

Those guys are getting lots of snap and rotation on the discs. Although, the one guy holds onto the disc with his left hand, which we know Blake would advise against.

The one guy looks like he's fairly tall and lanky, which would enhance the whip effect of throwing.

I just found out my x-step is my biggest problem. It was making my throw worse than a standing throw :(
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby roman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 pm

I find that if I do too much of a run-up I lose distance. My best drives have been with maybe a step or two before the x-step and a rapid and smooth acceleration (400-420ft). However if I do a crazy shuffle to the tee-pad (maybe 10-15ft) to get a little movement and THEN begin my reach back and pull through, I seem to get much more acceleration. I get another 10-20ft distance but not always as accurate. So I guess for me anything more than 1-2 steps is going to hurt me, unless I really get movin before I get on the tee.
Last edited by roman on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Beetard » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Distance is mainly about pulling the disc close to your chest and a strong hit. The runup is mainly a psyche up factor.

Yeah, it'll add a little D, but it won't double it or anything. Chances are unless you have a really smooth and athletic runup (effecient with good timing, well coordinated with the pull) , you can do a standing throw that will be only 20 feet less than your runup throw.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Star Shark » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:34 am

If it's done properly a runup helps get your body in the correct position and establish a good rhythm for the throw.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:42 am

Beetard wrote:Distance is mainly about pulling the disc close to your chest and a strong hit. The runup is mainly a psyche up factor.

Yeah, it'll add a little D, but it won't double it or anything. Chances are unless you have a really smooth and athletic runup (effecient with good timing, well coordinated with the pull) , you can do a standing throw that will be only 20 feet less than your runup throw.

It doesn't have to be athletic, it just has to do what it's supposed to. For instance, my x-step was throwing my balance backwards. Thus, when I came out of my x-step, I was re-establishing my momentum from the last step. Thus, the x-step hurt me.

Last night I tried a different x-step (one which kept me moving forward and primed my hips) and I threw a lot further than my standing throw.

Thing to do is really look at your x-step to see if it's doing what it's supposed to :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby tushamajig13 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:38 am

I think the downhill drive on most of the holes in the video make it seem like they are throwing farther....

but its true that a smooth xstep is better than a quick run up...

for me, i need a run up on almost every shot...even if it is a 150' upshot, ill do a little shuffle step...it helps me get the timing right so i dont shank it right or left too too badly

the standstill is more accurate, but I tend to shank more shots without a run up...probably just the way i developed my game
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:42 am

tushamajig13 wrote:the standstill is more accurate, but I tend to shank more shots without a run up...probably just the way i developed my game
I had issues with that, too. The stuff from the "Masterbeato's Form" thread will help fix that if you're interested.

I've never found that more of a run up than what that guy in the video uses has helped me at all. It might be necessary to throw 475' instead of 450' (or something like that), but most of us aren't there yet.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 am

A quick question for garublador and blackudder. How far are you guys throwing from a standstill? I have been working from the hit backwards and am just wandering how far I should expect from a standstill. Also from one step?? Thanks.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 am

bcsst26 wrote:A quick question for garublador and blackudder. How far are you guys throwing from a standstill? I have been working from the hit backwards and am just wandering how far I should expect from a standstill. Also from one step?? Thanks.
Just minor improvements distancewise over what I posted here:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=6693

I have eliminated a lot of the putter-flutter, though. I'm able to throw them in a straight line again.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 am

Proper form and timing and a lot of muscle power is required for a slow x step to got to 400'. It's a feat don't make the mistake of underestimating it. There are people who can make it look easy. They just have the form honed to very fine detail and the whole is great.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Technique