Looks like you don't need much of a "run up"

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jerrod » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am

That is my home course. I would say the longest drive on there (not counting the big downhill shot) is about 370. That would be the drive he throws at 1:15. The pin is about 366. I do love that video. Really seems to do justice to not only our course but the sport as well.
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Midnightbiker » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:20 am

Jerrod wrote:That is my home course. I would say the longest drive on there (not counting the big downhill shot) is about 370. That would be the drive he throws at 1:15. The pin is about 366. I do love that video. Really seems to do justice to not only our course but the sport as well.

If you look at the second hole he shoots the sign says "426 feet" right near the begining of the video. :shock:
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Midnightbiker » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 am

Here is a screen shot I took showing what I am talking about:

Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Jerrod » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:04 pm

When it's long. That is the old sign before it listed the multiple pin locations. But I would say that location is probably 360 or so.
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 am

x-step / run up is supposed to get your body to the optimal throw position, not to add speed or torque to your drive.

edit: here in Tampere, Finland are a couple of pro players who use really really slow x-step, one guy who bombs 500', and the other guy is Jussi Meresmaa, the Big D '08 winner & Finnish distance record holder :) It's amazing to watch these guys throw, so smooth that it looks like slow motion.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:45 pm

bcsst26 wrote:A quick question for garublador and blackudder. How far are you guys throwing from a standstill? I have been working from the hit backwards and am just wandering how far I should expect from a standstill. Also from one step?? Thanks.

Right now, and I don't consider my form "right" yet, I'm still learning from my coaching from the last couple months, I'm throwing a putter 250'-300' (wizard). On flat ground with an anhyzer wind (back to front, left to right) I'm getting 300'. With a little downhill, 300'. Dead flat ground with no wind, I'm getting around 270-280' at the longest. It appears I can hit 250' regularly with the putter.

With a driver, I can go further than that - I prefer 150g drivers for stand still shots, but honestly, other drivers perform similarly, it's mostly in my head.

As I've said in other threads, I'd work with putters and look for 250' from a standstill - try getting with anhyzer first and then once you have that, work on flat/hyzer shots. That should give you a good base to work from.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Mark Brunner » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 am

It is very true that a long or fast runup is often not needed to achieve good controlled max distance. The key here is controlled :)

I typically will take a 3-4 step runup and can reach my max controlled distance with either one. Its all about how your body is working together, and the timing. I can throw 450-500ft every time on a straight controlled line with 3-4 steps.

Obviously there are other factors... grip strength, shoulder turn, follow through, balance. But definately try to stay away from long, jerky run ups.
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:04 am

Yesterday I played a quick nine with my fiancee. I decided to throw all my drives from a stand still to even things out between us since she's not comfortable enough with the x-step to use it at this point. I learned a lot, and will have to force myself to practice this way more often.

At first I kept throwing everything low for some reason. I don't have this problem with approach shots from a stand still...maybe I was trying too hard.

I was getting about 75% of my usual distance. That's a bit more of a difference than you guys are projecting. So...evidently my x-step is adding quite a bit to my drive....and there are probably some things I could do to work on my throw mechanics...hence the need for more practice in this way.

Another thing that happened is that the course played entirely different for me. Practice with the standing throw also turned into practice for longer approach shots than usual.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 am

krusen wrote:At first I kept throwing everything low for some reason. I don't have this problem with approach shots from a stand still...maybe I was trying too hard.
Check the Technique Repair section. You could either be throwing with your back shoulder too high or you might have your weight too far "behind" you (as in over or behind your heel) when you're throwing from a standstill. I had the exact same problem this last weekend.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 am

garublador wrote:
krusen wrote:At first I kept throwing everything low for some reason. I don't have this problem with approach shots from a stand still...maybe I was trying too hard.
Check the Technique Repair section. You could either be throwing with your back shoulder too high or you might have your weight too far "behind" you (as in over or behind your heel) when you're throwing from a standstill. I had the exact same problem this last weekend.

I checked it out. It seems to me that I was not centering my weight properly. I'll have to try some standing throws again and check for sure, but I never feel quite comfortable during my follow through unless I use at least a bit of an x-step. I'd bet that I had my weight on my heels a bit too much. Thanks for the help.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:27 am

krusen wrote:but I never feel quite comfortable during my follow through unless I use at least a bit of an x-step.
I have that problem, too. One of the benefits of working at throwing from a standstill and then building your x-step back from there is fixing that problem. Once it's fixed you won't need that runup to get your weight centered and forward.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby DiscWhisperer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 pm

The guy in the video cracked me up, he kept twitching both elbows before each throw. It just looks silly as hell heh heh.
DiscWhisperer
Noob

Postby Eric O » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am

black udder wrote:It doesn't have to be athletic, it just has to do what it's supposed to. For instance, my x-step was throwing my balance backwards. Thus, when I came out of my x-step, I was re-establishing my momentum from the last step. Thus, the x-step hurt me.

Last night I tried a different x-step (one which kept me moving forward and primed my hips) and I threw a lot further than my standing throw.

Thing to do is really look at your x-step to see if it's doing what it's supposed to :)

I know what you mean. My feet feel heavy and clumsy sometimes when I am doing my run up/X-step. I've always been able to throw almost as far but with better accuracy from a standstill. Finally, earlier this spring I trained myself to take an X-step without breaking my forward momentum at some point during my footwork. It has really helped me air out my drives further, and feels much more natural.

I don't know whether or not this is a common problem, but I was able to trace my breakdown in form to hopping up in the air a little when I took the cross step with my left foot getting ready to plant on it. It saps all the energy built up in the run up, and forced me to basically reorient all my momentum as I pulled through. Now that I'm keeping my motion going forward in the direction of the throw, things are working out much better.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bobby12many » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:17 am

Thats nothing!

Ive seen guys throw a 1/4 mile without a runup/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDZ3V5- ... re=related
Bobby12many
Noob

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:33 am

Bobby12many wrote:Thats nothing!

Ive seen guys throw a 1/4 mile without a runup/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDZ3V5- ... re=related

how much you wanna make a bet I can throw a disc over them mountains?

GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Technique