head turning and arm down....

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

head turning and arm down....

Postby Rooster » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:46 pm

so I'm not a long driver by any means. When i say that i mean my average drive is 270'. i've been hitting the field almost everyday and can't seem to break this "plateau". from what my local players tell em and i can see im pulling my arm up on my pull through. I've been told i have great form except for that. any suggestions?

secondly, when i hit the field today i decided to try turning my head more on my x-step. this seemed to help me keep my arm down and help a ton with my hyzer flip(which i am still digelently working on). along with that i threw at about half the power i susally do and was getting the same D.

I'm not really looking for big D, but my goal for the end of the season is to have an average drive of 300-315'. i don't want to be just getting that D i wan't to be doing it right. i've read and re-read and re-read and re-read and tried almost all the stuff in the articles and its helped me a ton but i just seem to be stuck and am loking to get out of this rut, any help you folks can give me would be incredibly appreciated and used to the fullest extent. thanks guys!!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby krusen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:38 pm

Maybe you're starting your pull too low.
Have you tried starting from shoulder height? What do your drives do? Do they go nose up and fall to the left?

In one of the articles (sorry, can't find it), someone talks about starting the pull from below the ear. I'm not sure if it needs to be quite that high up, but starting the pull higher should move yor follow through down some.

I hope this helped. You should describe the flight path of your disc clearly, and someone else should be able to offer more input.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Weebl » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:37 am

This is what helped me. Go to a field with all your putters and mids. Do stationary throws (no x-step) just lifting of plant foot, coiling of body, and relaxed release. You don't want to be straining in the slightest, your feet and hips will do 95% of the work. Once you can throw a putter 200' like this, then work on your x-step. Have a slow x-step, it's easier to get your timing down and make sure that you arn't pulling through before your plant foot touches the ground. Contrary to intuition, a slower x-step, for me, has provided me with my longest throws ever, accurate and faster releases.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 am

I would also suggest you make sure your weight is forward. My wife was having the same problem. I echoed one of blake's post and told her to make sure her weight was forward and SLOW down a bit. Worked like a charm next throw was low, nose down and straight.

Give it a try.
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:24 pm

one of the things i've found about reach backs are that most players over-rotate for the majority of shots.

long anhyzers will require a head turn but the majority of hyzer and flat shots do not necessitate ever having your eyes leave the basket.

the extra "oomph" of the throw comes during the finish, and being confident that a strong finish will hit the target gap is paramount in throwing long, controlled drives.

as for 270', you likely are missing any combination of 2 of the following (solutions are in parenthesis):
1) whip (relax and allow your arm to flow freely with the torso and legs being the driving force)
2) nose down (weight forward, good grip).
3) snap/rip (good grip, strong and well-timed finish).
4) appropriate height needed for a given disc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Rooster » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:36 pm

so i played today and have slowed conciredeably(sp?). my shots are looking better. i am turning my head on every shot and its helping keep them flat. im still that 270' but things feel better. i'm having a problem with wrist roll through. i flip my discs like crazy.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:50 pm

head turn and a high pull will give anhyzer tendency.

sounds like your culprit is mainly weight forward.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:32 pm

Weebl wrote: Have a slow x-step, it's easier to get your timing down and make sure that you arn't pulling through before your plant foot touches the ground. Contrary to intuition, a slower x-step, for me, has provided me with my longest throws ever, accurate and faster releases.

This guy is a much better player than me, so take this with a grain of salt. My run up had been pretty slow and methodical for a quite awhile. After checking out a tournament last weekend I noticed that most of the pros were actually "running" up to their shot. I increased the speed of my run up and it's helped me to get my weight forward. It's increased my distance a touch but, strangely enough, my consistency has gotten better.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:55 pm

speed is not bad, but if it hinders fluidity (or smoothness for lack of a better vocabulary) then its an issue. Keep it smooth and you should be alright
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:20 am

invisible tree,

i've ben focusing on my momentum a lot recently too because i face a similar problem (or i used to) with getting the weight forward. i'm only 5'7" and think height might have something to do with needing to be quicker. anyways, i've found that almost jogging up to the shot has helped me stay relaxed and have a better follow through. just like you said. on shorter shots i've tried to slow the momentum conciously, too.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 am

Blake_T wrote:
sounds like your culprit is mainly weight forward.

i feel as if i have my weight foreward. i'm standing straight up and if i don't take a step after my release and finish i would fall flat on my face.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:08 pm

presidio hills wrote:i've ben focusing on my momentum a lot recently too because i face a similar problem (or i used to) with getting the weight forward. i'm only 5'7" and think height might have something to do with needing to be quicker.

One of the guys that I followed was Brad Hammock who is quite small but has distance that I can only dream of. Whenever the teepad was level with the ground he started his run up such that he took three steps before he even reached the teepad. I don't think he could have moved any faster if he tried.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby presidio hills » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:46 am

the invisible tree wrote:One of the guys that I followed was Brad Hammock who is quite small but has distance that I can only dream of. Whenever the teepad was level with the ground he started his run up such that he took three steps before he even reached the teepad. I don't think he could have moved any faster if he tried.

yeah, i saw him throw a big drive in santa cruz during the masters cup one year, and i was in awe. i definitely can't gripe about my height since he's around bombing them... and he's over 40.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 am

so i had someone watch me throw and they saw what was making me turn evening over. i'm pulling my arm downward on my pull through. D'oh! i haven't gotten a chance to practice and fix this but league tonight will be a good tme to take care of that.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:42 am

Getting your momentum going is a good thing too, it's being able to transfer it into mainly rotational thats hard for me, easier to coil up and explode. For me when I'm moving faster my timing needs to be perfect, and if my timing is off even a little the drive doesn't bode too well. I'm a lanky bastard though, so for me getting my 6'8" wingspan to be balanced along my axis of revolution is a bit hard even during a slow x-step, let alone a running start. It very well could be easier the smaller your wingspan is.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique