Standstill question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 pm

distance and accuracy will be difficult from a standstill while learning. You'll probably throw a good distance standing still, but then when you try for more, you'll overthrow and release early/late for a horrible result.

My best advice is to go to a field (or wherever you can get some accurate distances of 200', 250', 300', etc. as far as you figure you would reasonably throw standing still.

Then throw those for a few weeks to get the hang of the feel for each distance. That way when you come up to a hole you can look at the distance and gauge how hard you'll have to throw instead of just guessing how hard you'll have to throw. It's much easier that way. If you see that you're at the edge of your standstill distance, then it may be better to just do an x-step. However, anything up to 80-90% of your standing distance should become more accurate and much easier and give you more confidence. It's a slow process (the confidence part), but it does help.

I still find myself looking at a particular shot that I know I can hit standing still and thinking that I need an x-step. I have to remind myself I don't... results vary, but they're much better than they used to be with an x-step for everything.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blink » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:02 pm

I mainly ask because there was a hole in the last tourney I played that was a tight 200+ish foot shot. When I was watching the lead card of Emac, Coda, and a couple other local pros, they all took an x-step before throwing. I doubt the hole was 250 feet.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby Timko » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:18 pm

I had this discussion with Aleksey Bubis a few years back. He told me that unless his head isn't moving (ie: looking at the basket), he's going to take some sort of step to prime his body. I think it's whatever works for you.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby black udder » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:20 am

Blink wrote:I mainly ask because there was a hole in the last tourney I played that was a tight 200+ish foot shot. When I was watching the lead card of Emac, Coda, and a couple other local pros, they all took an x-step before throwing. I doubt the hole was 250 feet.

I'd agree with what Further said. It's a lot of "whatever works for you". If you watch the USDGC from 2006 you hear Barry say that Steve Brinster had changed to a standing throw for all shots under 300'.

For me, I can throw 250'-300' standing still, but for 250' shots I'm still wanting to take an x-step. For shots right around 200', I'm more comfortable and confident with my standing shot than ever. Doesn't mean it always works out like I hope, but I do believe that less movement means fewer opportunities to screw up my shot. For others, they want the rhythm of the x-step.

I'm confident that by the end of the year, I'll have improved both my standing drives and my upshots.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Timko » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:56 am

If I'm throwing a straight or anhyzer shot from short distance, I'll probably stand still. I need some sort of steps to get my body rotated enough to throw 200' hyzers it seems, so I do take a run up there.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby CatfishLee » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey guys, quick question. After watching that Climo video, I'm having a tough time seeing how something fits together. From what I can see, even after he plants after the x-step, it looks like his torso is still staying back as he goes through his throwing motion. But I've read so many threads on here that stress getting low and getting your weight forward over your plant leg as you get into the rip. Is there something I'm missing?
CatfishLee
Noob

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:40 am

CatfishLee wrote:Hey guys, quick question. After watching that Climo video, I'm having a tough time seeing how something fits together. From what I can see, even after he plants after the x-step, it looks like his torso is still staying back as he goes through his throwing motion. But I've read so many threads on here that stress getting low and getting your weight forward over your plant leg as you get into the rip. Is there something I'm missing?
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but your weight won't be over your plant foot until after you plant your foot. You won't start with your weight over your plant foot when your foot touches the ground.

In other words, your weight isn't over your plant foot at the plant, it's over your plant foot at the hit. You shouldn't even start your pull until after you've planted your foot. If you start you pull at the same time as when you plant your foot you'll most likely grip-lock.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:36 am

CatfishLee wrote:Hey guys, quick question. After watching that Climo video, I'm having a tough time seeing how something fits together. From what I can see, even after he plants after the x-step, it looks like his torso is still staying back as he goes through his throwing motion. But I've read so many threads on here that stress getting low and getting your weight forward over your plant leg as you get into the rip. Is there something I'm missing?

x-step
plant
hip rotation
torso/shoulder rotation
weight shifts over to plant foot as you pull through

disc goes bye bye

You want to be chin over your toes (weight forward) as the disc is going from right pec to rip so that you have your max nose angle from your body position.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Previous

Return to Technique