Nose up Putter Drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nose up Putter Drives

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:52 am

Blake said something to the effect that driving with a putter nose down will make it more stable.

I will probably kick myself, but I disagree with this 100%.

Throwing a putter hard and nose down will ultimately lead to an "overpowering" of the disc, usually a turn over. I realize that is why I had so much problem with modern discs, all drivers were thrown nose up years ago.

A slightly nose up Aviar will not behave the same way as an Orc (typical modern fast disc). The Aviar in particular glides better IMHO with the ass DOWN a bit (as opposed to ass up for an Orc). It will also heyser out less or S-curve. Slightly nose throws result in a nearly dead straight glide and a helicopter dead flat finish.

I used to add more wrist to add additional spin to keep the putter more stable, but I have found this to be unnecessary if the disc is held in the hand in the "incorrect" nose up position, and just snapped normally.

try it... throwing putter type discs is slightly different game.

I was throwing a helicopter shot (nose up) over some trees and down a 50' hill with my Aviar. It ended up in the parking lot some 600' away.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:50 am

i've never said throwing a putter nose down will make it fly more stable.

the technique you are referencing will only work with understable putters.
big beads, wizards, challengers, bangers, etc. will end up stalling out on these.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:14 am

I do love helicopter approaches. For driving though, from what I've tried I like hyzer-flipping a beat stable putter (JK Aviar-X).
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm

I can drive with my challengers over 240'. I throw with the nose SLIGHTLY down and with hyzer. I've found I need lots of spin to keep the angle through the flight too.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Return to Technique