What happened to my form?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What happened to my form?

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:16 pm

Well, for the past 3 days i have been horrible at discgolf. now im not saying im usually good, but the difference in my scores has been huge, about 3-4 strokes higher. I usually finish about 1-3 under par at my local course, about -1.5 on average and at best -4. the past few days i have gotten around +2 every round. im suprised i even did that well, but my aproaches tend to make up for my horrible drives.

anyway, i havent had a single good drive in 4 rounds, and even during field practice. and sure, i have had drives that go far, but none that feel 'right.' my accuracy has been horrible, hitting trees all over the place, and im having problems with wrist roll also. ive never had a very reliable hyzer flip, but now i cant seem to throw even close to the intended line. i either throw too hyzer or i roll my wrist. even something as predictable as my gazelle has been uncontrollable.

i think most of my problems are in my run up. ive never had a strong x step, but recently i just cant seem to get it right at all. maybe i should step back and retool my drive AGAIN. i just kinda started fresh this spring, new discs, different driving technique. id hate to do it all over again, but something just happened that has thrown me off big time.

i dont really think there is a solution to this other than just slow down and go back to basics. i really just needed to vent. i havent had a good round of golf in what seems like forever, and today i dont even feel like heading to the course.

oh well...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:36 pm

guessing there must be trend in your shanks. list what they are and i can probably say what is the problem.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Solty » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:00 pm

i had this happen after the snow went away...i was turning everything over....I talked with Blake and he immediately mentioned off axis torque...which i feel was caused by me 'trying to hard'

i've learned that the disc doe alot of the work..... Now im not guru like Blake(you da man) but here is what i did to help fix my problem.

1. start by driving outta the teebox with no run up. let your arm do the work.

2. next, implement a 1 step throw and keep letting your arm work the disc

3. next, attempt the x-step and walk through every drive before you grip and rip

4. finally try the x-step at full speed.

you're not re-inventing your throw...you're letting muscle memory build up and almost 'force you' to throw correctly or at least in a manner which is manageable.

Mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Re: What happened to my form?

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:39 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:i havent had a good round of golf in what seems like forever, and today i dont even feel like heading to the course.

It seems counterintuitive but sometimes it helps to take a day off. I have to force myself to do this as I play and practice like a mofo. Sometimes my knees, ankles, and feet get a bit sore and I'm trying to compensate for that which causes my throws and putts to be off the mark. Maybe a day of R&R would do you good.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: What happened to my form?

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:33 pm

the invisible tree wrote:
jgarcia9102 wrote:i havent had a good round of golf in what seems like forever, and today i dont even feel like heading to the course.

It seems counterintuitive but sometimes it helps to take a day off. I have to force myself to do this as I play and practice like a mofo. Sometimes my knees, ankles, and feet get a bit sore and I'm trying to compensate for that which causes my throws and putts to be off the mark. Maybe a day of R&R would do you good.

Yes, yes!! A couple days off does wonders. When I am playing a lot (4-5 rounds per day for days), this happens sometimes. You just get tired, start loosening your grip, not following through strong, not getting your weight forward. All these in little amounts, but together they just throw your game way off. A couple days off fixes this for me.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Weebl » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I guess we all have our own little dirty habits. Mine is dipping, quick footwork and incomplete reachbacks. Causing me to have everything airbounce, go all willy-nilly and/or shank right. I've gotten in the habit of from the first few throws, go no more than 80% power, slow x-step, lose muscles for acceleration and keeping my body on my verticle axis (unless hyzer-flipping, then I bend at hips ONLY, no stomache bending...). Along with visualizing my pull through and follow through to be online with my shoulders and desired disc orientation.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:16 pm

my problem is inconsistency.

some times its wrist roll, other times its grip lock. then there are those shots that i just have horrible aim. then i throw nose up, then the next shot nose down. too much hyzer, not enough hyzer.

my problem isnt any one thing, it just feels like i cant get it right. in the past 5-6 rounds ive had one drive that felt good. you know that feeling when everything goes right. its not about where it went, how far, or if it hit a tree, its just that feeling that your form was perfect on that peticular drive. that happened once.

time for a day off....
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:19 am

I notice everything goes haywire for me when my muscles are tense and when im trying too hard to be smooth. Dumb, I know :P By trying to be smooth and fluid I would make my X-step super-fucking-fast and having my reachback and follow through be in tune with my x-step. Bring it back to basics always helped me, slow reachback, fluid acceleration in the pull/follow through, not pulling through till plant foot is on the ground, having hips lead my shoulders. It helps me best when it's slow, because I know even going slow motion with no x-step I can get 340' when I'm on.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique