starting to throw backhand

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

starting to throw backhand

Postby monter_masher » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 pm

Hey everyone, Ive decided to learn how to throw backhand. I have played a couple of games now back hand and I was wondering whats better for learning doing the x-step right away or should I wait till get a good solid shot first then add the x-step? and I have one more question now that im throwing backhand I havent had very consistent throws like some times I will throw to low of too high then I will throw too much to the left of right and sometimes straight but the all seem to dive hard to the left. Does that sound like any specific problem of do you think its a bunch of this combined? Also I throwing as archangel if that makes a diffrence.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Mr. Merchant » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:19 pm

use the x-step. you will get more power if you torso, hips and shoulders get rotation. if your snapping the disc harder it won't tail left as hard. the archangel is more understable. all you need to know is in the instructional part of this website. read it and digest it.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:43 pm

does anyone know where I could find a more detailed discription of the x step I read the driving form and technique article but im having trouble with the 3rd step and I think that a more detailed explanation would help.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Go to discgolftv.com, go to lessons. The only lesson is the xstep. If you can't get it from this, you can't get it. A great demonstration and a video is worth a thousand words.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 pm

one of the biggest things that helped my consistancy with backhand was getting the rhythm. The key is to throw after you plant you last step...the rhythm is more 1 and 2 and 3 and throw than 1 and 2 and throw&3

am i making sense? basically just dont start the throw too early.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby monter_masher » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 pm

ok so ive played a couple a rounds now and im getting discouraged I always have my discs fly of to the left side and I dont really now what im supposed to be doing when I throw and I dont know anyone else that throws backhand on my course. So do you guys no any other articles I could look at of anything that I can get a better idea of the backhand throw from.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:04 pm

there's pages and pages upon this stuff on the main site.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/technique.shtml
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Not to mention videos to look at form.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr. Merchant » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:34 am

monster.

we have told you over and over again the best information on the net. I know your frustrated but it takes time. dont expect huge improvements instantly. go to a large field and practice. I know its hard not to get frustrated but try not to. just keep at it and you will get better.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:23 am

yeah you guys have and thanks for your patiance with me but I have another question when you begin your throw are you supposed to stand perpindicular to the basket? I have been standing inline all the time and im wondering if that has been messing me up.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:41 am

look at about 10 pro players frame breakdowns on the throw analysis section and you will have your answer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique