Cocking wrist on approach or short drive?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cocking wrist on approach or short drive?

Postby MrTasses » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:02 am

So I was watching the 2004 MSDGC and noticing that on short shots (say 150 feet until putt range) that some of them were cocking their wrist before the shot. Is that a method for increasing revolutions on the disc and therefore glide since touch shots like that don't tend to have a fast enough arm whip to get a good tendon bounce? Is this a nuance they I should work into my touch shots or is it just one of those things that people do and is no advantage?
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Re: Cocking wrist on approach or short drive?

Postby Pagan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am

MrTasses wrote:So I was watching the 2004 MSDGC and noticing that on short shots (say 150 feet until putt range) that some of them were cocking their wrist before the shot. Is that a method for increasing revolutions on the disc and therefore glide since touch shots like that don't tend to have a fast enough arm whip to get a good tendon bounce? Is this a nuance they I should work into my touch shots or is it just one of those things that people do and is no advantage?

I do that as well. It helps me keep the angle and orientation of the disc when throwing at lower speeds. If it's windy I also try to add a little more spin to my putts to keep them on line too. You don't want to add too much spin or it will bounce off the chains.
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:26 pm

i think it depends on your throwing style whether or not you need to cock your wrist to get enough spin on the disc.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:20 pm

i think a lot of it is where the players start their throws.

most big arms do not use a long reach back when throwing shots under 250'.

because in order to keep the disc close to your body, your wrist must curl as the disc passes by your chest for the throw to be accurate and powerful.

if you use very little upper body rotation on an approach shot and start from close to your body, the natural positioning is to start with the wrist curled.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Yep. For one step/no step shots all wrist curl. I even find that a small amount of bent wrist on a regular drive really helps me finesse the shot with less effort.

I cant explain but bending the wrist helps, especially with putter drives. I can put my star aviar on a wicked hyzer with bent wrist, but it flips to flat when I dont.

Get out and try it out.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique