snap

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

snap

Postby redspexxx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:35 am

anyone have any good excercises for increasing snap? i still cant get the disc to "snap" out of my hands
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:58 pm

if you are referring to the popping sound a disc makes when leaving some players' hands, that is not snap.

there's several articles on the main site covering the bent elbow technique which is the easiest way to build snap.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby lacrimosa » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:13 pm

it can be difficult at first, since it almost requires you to 'erase' your old technique in order to focus on the hit and snap harder. ingrained muscle memory is hard to get rid of.

after you've read the articles and you're out practicing throws, try being really smooth and setting all your focus onto the hit.
lacrimosa
Noob

Re: snap

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:02 am

redspexxx wrote:anyone have any good excercises for increasing snap? i still cant get the disc to "snap" out of my hands

make your x-step and arm movements so everything is getting you inline for the throw... keep it slow and controled and at the end (the hit) put the muscle into it, continuing strong on the follow through.
i think 'snap' has a lot to do with timing... not starting the pull too early (equaling a slip) or too late (griplock). throwing putters can help this out.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Snap is hard to explain. The best I can do is hold on to the disc and force it to "rip" from your hand. I hate to decscribe it like that cause it leads to grip lock.

Also, try to accelerate your pull through right before release.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:51 pm

yes thats what im talking about. this guy at one of our courses said my problem was that i was trying to throw the disc, and that it should be coming out of my hand on its own. i am quite confused as to how to get this to happen for me. does your throwing style have anything to do with it? like can you not do it if you're a reach back thrower?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:42 pm

redspexxx wrote:yes thats what im talking about. this guy at one of our courses said my problem was that i was trying to throw the disc, and that it should be coming out of my hand on its own. i am quite confused as to how to get this to happen for me. does your throwing style have anything to do with it? like can you not do it if you're a reach back thrower?

sounds like maybe your arm is tensed up when you throw. your arm should flow through its motion naturally and relaxed. try letting your body mechanics be what moves your arm, instead of your arm moving all by itself (using its own tensed muscles). it's not like you need your arm to be limp, but it should be relaxed.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:01 am

it should be riping out of your hand, even gripping down the hardest you could, it's force would rip it out. that's what you want. I would suggest Blake's idea and reading and practicing the bent elbow technique so you can know what snap feels like and then develope it into a full pullback or whatever you would like. Get a feel for it first.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:17 pm

When you throw a disc, normal tendencies it to let go of the disc when it is on line / target of where you wanted it to go. Instead try this. When you are at the point where you want to let go / on line / on target, this is the point in which you should grip it tight. That moment is the rip point / the hit. Everything is smooth, fluid and quick, then the "hit" is the strong powerful part of the throw. Its only a fraction of a second.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Weebl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Your disc, from its farthest point in your reachback to the moment it leaves your hands (the 'hit'), should travel in a straight line. No up/down movement in the pull or side to side movement. If you want to throw higher then your reachback should be lower, vice-a-verca to throw downward. This is most efficiently done by acting like a coil winding up (think of the inside of a analogue clock) your feet should initiate your pull through, then your hips are to turn next (you still havent started your pull through yet) then with all of the energy being transfered to your shoulders it's a very fluid rotational acceleration. Your arm should be the last to move... try to focus your sudden explosion of power at the point your hand/disc is just past your right nipple (assuming rhbh) and remember to folow through strong...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique