Help with driving technique/distance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help with driving technique/distance

Postby alphafrolfer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:54 pm

FWIW im only like 5'7 and 125 pounds
Im a beginner/intermediate player that has been playing for a couple years. I can throw my orc/wraith usually 320-330 ft, yet with my gazelle i can throw it 300-310 pretty consistently. Should my distance drivers be going only 20 ft more than my fairway driver? Another question I've have always used three fingers underneath with the pinkie curled back, should i have all 4 fingers under will this make much of a difference?

Also i usually just throw it flat and let it hyzer off. I keep hearing the term flex-out and its realtionship to max distance. Can someone please explain that and the benifets of a slightly anhyzer release.

Thank you
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Solty » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:24 pm

your grip question can be answered here if you read bigs348's posts.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=677

I can throw my orc/wraith usually 320-330 ft, yet with my gazelle i can throw it 300-310 pretty consistently.

this is a factor of nose angle and velocity, but it shouldn't be that much farther. like 310' w/ a gazelle = 350' with a wraith.

as for flex that is just about a disc fading out from a turn. most newer discs will fly farther if they get turned over.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:35 am

so with enough room, an ideal maximum distance drive would involve releasing an orc/wraith slightly anhyzer to let it "flex-out"?
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:30 am

max D lines are generally anhyzer s-curves or hyzer flip s-curves.

the ideal line with an orc or wraith is to release it slightly hyzer and flip it over into an s-curve but at 330' of power you likely won't have enough to do that.

make sure you differentiate between maximum raw distance vs. maximum golf distance.

if you are going for raw D, the max line is an s-curve.

for golf D, the line will depend on the disc as certain discs will not gain anything significant by being turned over (but most will).
Blake_T

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Blake_T wrote:max D lines are generally anhyzer s-curves or hyzer flip s-curves.

the ideal line with an orc or wraith is to release it slightly hyzer and flip it over into an s-curve but at 330' of power you likely won't have enough to do that.

make sure you differentiate between maximum raw distance vs. maximum golf distance.

if you are going for raw D, the max line is an s-curve.

for golf D, the line will depend on the disc as certain discs will not gain anything significant by being turned over (but most will).

Could u either explain to more or point more towards a link that explains what a hyzer flip is and how one would release slightly hyzer and achieve a flip over. It seems that if i released hyzer it would just go left quicker than releasing flat. Thanks a lot, and what disks would be ideal for a anhyzer s-curve, something like a beast?
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:53 pm

anhyzer s-curve = moderately to very overstable driver.

a hyzer flip is just a shot that is thrown with a hyzer angle that flattens up and turns over to the right, doing an S curve later in its flight than an anhyzer s which will turn out of the box. this shot requires a lot of speed and nose down.

off-axis torque can be used to aid in the flattening/turning process.

how understable of a disc you have to use for a hyzer flip will depend upon how much power you have.

players that throw 400'+ will hyzer flip a wraith, but players with less power will likely need to anhyzer it to get this flight path.
Blake_T

Postby alphafrolfer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Blake I went out to the local park to practice today. I can sort've hyzer flip my wraith but it more just starts hyzer flatens and doesn't anhyzer too much. I cant really do it at all with my champ orc so i was attempting to s-curve that which turned out alright but it still needs a lot of work.

Another thing i noticed is that i start to fast and am maxing out half-way through my x-step so when i start slower i seem to finish better. Additionally, I seem to be releasing a little late fairly often, any thoughts on that?

When trying to hyzer flip my champ beast/roadrunner i just turn them over and they dont get much distance.

Any other recommendations would be extremely helpful and I really appreciate all the help you have provided for us on this site.
I will hopefully get around to posting a video/pic sequence of my stroke to get more detailed pointers.
alphafrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:51 am

it's a LOT harder to hyzer flip champ/star/z discs. dx/pro d will be the easiest to hyzer flip.

also, it takes a lot of speed (compared to a disc's cruise speed) to flatten and flip a disc. with that in mind, you are best off learning this shot with slower drivers.

as for the roadrunner and beast, they are understable, and will need more hyzer angle and/or more height to get them to fly a full path. either that or you may be torquing them over.

height plays a big part, especially on max D lines. wider rimmed discs require less height, but say, to put a gazelle 360' it will need like 20' of height at its apex.

as for the late release, it is probably that you are starting your pull too early and/or finishing too late.
Blake_T

Return to Technique