Drag Foot and Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drag Foot and Technique

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:53 am

After blowing through the sole of a new pair of shoes within two weeks, I've been questioning my technique, especially concerning my "drag foot." Not to worry, the shoes were replaced at no cost, but I do worry about destroying the new pair.

I've noticed that it is common to drag the foot opposite of your plant or lead foot in quite a few top pros. Most noticeable by these select few:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... kely.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ster.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ubis.shtml

Just to name a few. I never shot video of myself, but I couldn't imagine that I drag my foot any worse than Matt or Aleksey (in fact I've seen Matt on MANY occasions in person since he's from my area).

Does dragging your foot rob you of distance? Does it cause any other mechanical problems that could harm your technique in the long run?

I know that other top pros such as Climo and Schultz are good at picking up there foot either before or during release. Thanks :!:
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am

actually, i don't believe any of those players drag their foot.

also, i'm not sure if you are referring to during the cross step or at the end of the throw.

dragging during the cross step can lead to strain on the MCL.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:27 am

I've always wondered about this as I go through shoes because they loose their support. I have never had a pair wear through on the toes like everyone says happens to them. I thought that might mean I was doing something wrong, but I guess not. I do see where Matt is dragging his left foot on his follow through, and it seems that the players with more weight forward do not do this as their weight is out over their plant foot on follow through which lifts that back foot off the ground. Just an observation.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:49 am

Blake_T wrote:actually, i don't believe any of those players drag their foot.

also, i'm not sure if you are referring to during the cross step or at the end of the throw.

dragging during the cross step can lead to strain on the MCL.

I meant at the end of the throw, in reguards to their follow through. Most noticeably, Matt does it. I believe you can also see what I'm talking about on Avery's 2002 Backhand analysis. Once I viewed Aleksey's video from behind him, it seems that he DOES pick his foot up. I don't think that I drag my foot on the cross step, so I'm not really concerned about injuring myself in that way.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby dscglfgeo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am

I used to drag my foot really bad. I learned how to follow through better and get my weight forward, and it just kind of stopped happening. I think you do lose some distance when you drag your foot. Mainly because your form isn't correct and we all know correct form = max drives. If you can video tape yourself so you can see what your doing wrong and try to correct it. Basically it sounds like you need to get your weight shifted forward better and get your hips following through to bring that foot up and around. (at least thats what I gather out of what your saying)
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby MrTasses » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:29 pm

Another idea for why the foot drag is that I used to drag my foot because I was rotating too early. The foot drag was a compensation as it slowed down how quickly my body was rotating so that I was still close to being in the proper alignment at release. So if you are doing well at getting your weight forward, check to make sure your timing is on.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks guys for the input. I have leagues tonight....so I'll test it out :lol: . I wish I would have originaly ordered these:

They seem like they would hold up much better than the salomons I have. I guess it's better to fix the problem instead of trying to mask it.[/img]
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Frontman311 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:52 pm

My shoes and my friend's (jacksweather) seem to be effected by dragging. I have worn sandals for the past 30 days though and notice no wreckage (if you will) on them, probably 'cause I know I shouldn't be draggin a foot in sandals!
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique