Who is the most consistant long D disc golfer to date?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Who is the most consistant long D disc golfer to date?

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:45 pm

I am stuck currently at throwing a flat shot that hits 400 feet consistantly. I know that there is someone out there that can throw it over 400 feet with a flat shot. I have heard rumors about Dr. Voakes doing 400 foot drives 6 feet off the ground, but I am looking for video footage to study.

Hey Blake, who are the real powerhouses you have footage of either here or in your stickitdg videos?

I am about to start doing my own video analysis and running side by side comparisons to find what flaws I currently have, such as sticking my left arm out and not having it close to my body. Would be nice to find those traits that I lack, and be able to modify and improve the ones I already have.

Thanks in Advance,

LBS
LastBoyScout

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 pm

based on hearsay and what i've seen...

some of the biggest arms in DG for golf...

steve brinster
ken jarvis
shawn sinclair
markus kallstrom
tyler horne

i have plenty of guys who can go 500+ on my site though:
feldberg, jenkins, heeren, bunnell, arthur, drummond, etc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 pm

Got any footage on Tyler Horne? I have the final nine footage of the Ohio River Bear Open, but it really does not follow him very well.
LastBoyScout

Postby presidio hills » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:34 am

blake,

just curious how far steve brinster is throwing in the 'player throw analysis' clip you made. how tall is he anyways? doesn't seem like a big dude... looks like he's throwing it easy...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LastBoyScout » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:56 am

He's pretty average height from what I can tell on the MSDGC 2004 DVD. Steve and Cam Todd look about the same height and Ron Russell looks like he is taller.
LastBoyScout

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:08 am

brinster is about 5'8"

in the player throw analysis he is throwing ~425' w/ champ teebirds.
Blake_T

Postby LastBoyScout » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:17 am

Hey Blake, Is it possible to ask the pros and players in general for a top and bottom photo of the grips they prefer for driving, approaching, and putting.

I know that this would be a crucial focal point that is unfortunately overlooked right now since all power is focused through the grip.

It might be interesting to find that one grip offers better accuracy, one increased snap potential, another adds loft, ect. ect. ect.

I am the kind of person that will use varying grips depending on the situation. Just thought this might be something else unique to have on the site. Could even get a few words about how that certain pro sets up their grip and why they prefer it and when they use it.
LastBoyScout

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 pm

90% of pros use a power grip, fan grip, or fork grip for drives.

90% of pros use a fan grip, fork grip, or control grip for approaches.

90% of pros use a fan grip, fork grip, or control grip for putts.
Blake_T

Postby LastBoyScout » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:41 pm

I was just thinking the best of the best in certain catagories.
What do the best of the best D drivers use, The best accuracy guys use, the best short gamers use, the best putters use...

For example, I use a modified stacked fan power grip (LoL... its complicated....)

Line you disc up on your hand. Place middle finger gripping rim, place ring finger slightly on top of middle ringer and gripping rim, then place pinkie slightly on top of ring finger and gripping rim. Pressing index finger hard on disc edge, slowly and as tight as possible slide finger down under rim until all fingers are tightly pressed together. Using thumb, press through flight plane until you can feel your index finger.

I can lift weights attached to a disc like this. It rocks, is very solid, and has no issue with the nose being up at all. If anything, the nose is set just a touch to low.

That is used for drives, I use a loose fan grip for approaches, and modified loose fan grip for putting. If I am really putting some heat on a putter or approach disc, I use a traditional power grip.
LastBoyScout

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:16 pm

You can see some monster throws by Steve Brinster here: http://www.nynjdiscgolf.com/skylands_classic/

Just watch the promo
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Return to Technique