Tips for an effective jump putt?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tips for an effective jump putt?

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:49 pm

I've recently started trying to work on my jump putt, and have been having minimal success with it. I've seen some pros and higher level ams using it to their benefit, but I'm definitely not doing something right.

Most of the time when I'm putting, I'm using the pitch putt technique, or else the straddle putt. If I'm out say, 50' or so from the pin, most of the time I'll just throw a gentle hyzer in for an easy putt, or try a half-assed tomahawk (a.k.a. U.D. or pancake). I'd like to try making a fairly safe run at the pin from that distance, and it seems the jump putt is the way to go.

When I've seen the pros doing it, it seems like they have more of a straight line drive shot at the chains, whereas in my attempts, even though I'm trying to throw it straight on, I'm ending up throwing a little hyzer out that has a good amount of force, and usually lands near the pin, but its certainly not accurate. Basically what I'm doing is using the same form as my pitch putt, but launching off my rear (left) foot as I'm bringing my arm forward for the release. It seems like it could be an effective shot if done right, but for all the trouble its worth right now, I may as well just use my gentle hyzer approach.

Any tips to improve my technique?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 pm

launch off the left foot to the right foot, THEN pull your stroke (smooth continuation of the lurch forward) and then let your weight continue forward hopping with your right foot after the disc is gone.

it's easier to learn with a walking putt, but i prefer jump putts since they don't skew the hip orientation.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Frontman311 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 pm

I believe that the main point is that it's just another weight shift. As you get further from the basket you (maybe) get a little more and more weight shift, the jump putt is just you shifting your weight so much that you can't stop from hopping.

So I try not to focus on the jumping aspect, that's not what makes the disc go; instead it's the weight shift...jumping is just a natural result.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby JacksWeather » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:13 am

Says the man who clenched a doubles league win today by method of the jump putt.

Like frontman said, the jump putt is exactly the same as a normal putt, only more weight shift. The pro's will have pretty low putts (usually not much higher than a foot from the top of the basket I think) inside the 10m circle too. So when they're doing the jump putt, they get more weight shift, making the disc move faster on the same line only longer. So the question is, when you're inside of the 10m circle, say 30ft, are your putts low? Sounds like you kinda do a hyzer loft putt normally. So when you do the jump putt you just get a bigger hyzer. For a lower jump putt line, try getting a lower regular putt line (maybe with a flatter release), then just moving farther back and getting more weight shift.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby Weebl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:58 am

I can't do a real jump putt, I do a walk/run/jog putt. It helps me from lifting the disc during my putting stroke. First I leam slightly forward as to not have minor whiplash from the accelerationI try to put all my power into my left leg going forward with a smooth relaxed arm, doing my normal putt. I still need more practice with it but yesterday I hit two putts >60' with it, 4 others were parked for par. It's the same concept as my drive, I try to accelerate more than 'lurch', the quicker and more fluid i can accelerate with my left leg firing forward the more power I have.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Blake_T wrote:launch off the left foot to the right foot, THEN pull your stroke

I had never thought of trying this method of jump putt.
I tried it wensday and at least hit chains 5 out of 6 attempts in the 50-75' range, I (along w/ my group) was amazed... much more accurate than "jumping" off your right foot, but not as long. Im thinking 45-75' I will launch off the left foot, and 75'-100' I will continue launching off the right.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby coogs » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:27 pm

When you say launch off left to right, do you mean left to right launching forward; or left to right launching on an angle?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm

it was a reference to the foot...

lean back on your left foot, push forward hard to your right foot, release the putt, hop with your right foot before youf all on your face.
Blake_T

Postby Fritz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Blake_T wrote:it was a reference to the foot...

lean back on your left foot, push forward hard to your right foot, release the putt, hop with your right foot before youf all on your face.

This is the method I use, and I'm getting more accurate with my jump putt each day I practice them. About 2-3 months ago, I switched to this style and like I said I'm finding it to be more controlled.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby coogs » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:30 am

It's hard to believe that such a simple method can make such a huge difference. I won't lie and say I began hitting 60' + putts, but I hit chains over half the time and laid up under the pin just about every time I didn't hit chains.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby deaddisc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 am

I tried this method for the first time the other day, and crashed home a 60+ putt in the middle of my casual round. I guess it is time to work on this a bit more and leave the KC aviar in the bag for the short-longrange putts.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:11 pm

deaddisc wrote:I tried this method for the first time the other day, and crashed home a 60+ putt in the middle of my casual round. I guess it is time to work on this a bit more and leave the KC aviar in the bag for the short-longrange putts.

Replace that KC Aviar with a Wizard :P
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby deaddisc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:33 pm

I have a wizard, but I mainly use it for short drives which require less distance than my classic roc. I know people love the wizard for everything under the sun, but the lip on it is not comfortable in my hand on long puts like the KC aviar. 8)
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:37 pm

deaddisc wrote:I have a wizard, but I mainly use it for short drives which require less distance than my classic roc. I know people love the wizard for everything under the sun, but the lip on it is not comfortable in my hand on long puts like the KC aviar. 8)

:)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm

the lips are nearly identical on those two discs...
Blake_T

Next

Return to Technique