Wrist Bend

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wrist Bend

Postby JacksWeather » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:40 pm

At what point of the pull should the wrist start bending back?
At what point of the pull should the wrist be bent back the farthest?
How much should the wrist be bent back? 10 or 5 degrees being a small amount, and 70 being a large amount.
At what point (in the pull) does the wrist stop bending backwards and start bending bouncing back?
What amount of bend should the wrist have as the disc rips out?
Should the bend of the wrist be on the same plane as the bend of the elbow?

I noticed that when I twist my wrist clockwise and counterclockwise, that it bends closest to the same plane as my elbow when it is rotated clockwise as far as it can go. Doesn't this mean that one cannot actually roll their wrist over. Because from the start of the elbow extension to the end of it, the wrist should be bending on the same plane as the elbow. Which would mean it should be twisted as far clockwise as possible. Which would mean it can't roll over any more? However, one could still roll their arm over by twisting it with their shoulder.

Also it seems to me that when the wrist bends backwards or forwards more than a very small amount, it is forced to bend on a different plane as the elbow. I'm not entirely sure about this though.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby JacksWeather » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Also, What makes the wrist bounce back into place?

Using the ruler analogy, a hand is the force bending back the ruler, the ruler snaps forward because the hand is removed. When you're throwing, the force of inertia is what pulls your wrist back (because the disc is moving slower than then rest of your arm). But if you keep accelerating through the hit, which I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do, the arm keeps going faster than the disc, and the inertial force continues to pull back the wrist. Which would equate to the hand never letting go of the ruler. So how does the wrist bounce back?

I'm pretty sure that the disc rips out because the centrifical force pulls the disc outwards from the spinning of the arm, but that doesn't really explain how the wrist would bounce back into place.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 pm

i just keep my wrist stiff (tense) during reach back and pull through. that gives it the "bounce" forward on release.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:14 am

wrist bend will occur naturally as both a factor of inertia and of simply keeping the disc close to your body during the pull.

the recoil is caused by an abrupt change of direction (from forwards to outwards).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique