Throwing Anny.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing Anny.

Postby coogs » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:47 pm

I cannot throw an anhyzer shot well. At all. Most of it has to do with my form which I'm currently working on, and it partly has to do with not knowing what's a good disc for that kind of shot.

The form I'll figure out on my own, assuming I'm interpreting Blake's articles correctly, but what's a good disc for throwing those holes that go right?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby ParanoidPiranhasDave » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06 pm

That's mostly up to preference. Anything that is considered "understable" will work. Sidewinders and such. I, on the other hand, prefer to use a "stable" disc that has been beat up.
Paranoid Piranhas!

Disc golf kicks minge.
ParanoidPiranhasDave
Noob

Postby Rooster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:22 pm

i can throw a huuuuge anny(just ask my groups at league :lol: ). i use a seasoned DX wraith for it. works great. if i put it high enough it'll start to fade back but most of the time it just holds its like perfectly.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby coogs » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:26 pm

Ok, so those are two to consider.

How would you guys describe your throwing form when throwing anny? I read that you should really get your back arched and release higher than normal, but I played with a guy today who threw it like a normal backhand, yet he was able to make the disc turn beautifully. How did he do that?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 pm

i use my normal form put instead of pull back across my chect i reach up to my shoulder on my reach back and pull through back down to my normal release point. that angle naturally creates an anny line.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby coogs » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:32 pm

I guess that would describe what he was doing; I'll have to give that a shot.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:12 pm

because i don't have the biggest arm... i like throwing anny lines with DX rocs about 40' in the air with a solid 45 degree (or so) anny line. i find i can hit 250'+ very consistently (with a lot of turn) so i'll either be in good par range for longer holes, or birdie range for shorter ones.
once i get better i'll start trying to get my drivers out 300'+ on the same line. but for now i like the roc and the consistency i get from that shot.
as far as drivers go... i have about the same luck with something overstable on a steeper line as i do with touch anhyzers with a less stable disc. understable seems to work if you need to go high. overstable is good for low shots. rocs work for all the lines if you can get 'em on the lines.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Long annies that hold the same angle the whole way: dx valk, long annies that plane out and finish on a long, straight glide: dx teebird. Discs that taught me how to annie well: s wizard and glow roc. My .02
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:42 pm

if its a short anhyzer, throw a putter flat, high and hard (really hard). the disc will do the work.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:07 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:if its a short anhyzer, throw a putter flat, high and hard (really hard). the disc will do the work.
I could do this with other putters, the wizard I can't. The wizard taught me how to put annie from the release instead of letting the stability flip it. I realised I was pulling my shoulders way to soon, which was why I couldn't get an annie release (just more trajectory to the right) and less power than a flat/hyzer throw. I make sure my shoulders and arms are loose (thats for all shots...) and on the pullback have the outside of my disc (in relation to my location of grip) down and on the pullthrough hold that orientation. Blake's "Telegraphing your shots" article helped a lot. Start without an x-step, just a static pullback, step, pull. It will let you get the feel for it.

As to what discs I use for annies? Like Presidio Hills, I use anything I need to fit the bill. Leopard for high turnovers that hold from 325'-375', slightly used DX Teebird to do the same line for 400'. Low ceiling flex shots I'll use a firebird, New Roc for a turnover that flattens 300'-370', ect. Also ajustments of nose angles to manipulate the flight to get more complex lines (working on this currently).
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:26 pm

throwing a good anny is somehting i really have trouble doing. it seems like lot of what has been described above really isnt anny at all, its just throwing an understable disc that will turn.

when i try to release a disc with anny i have a hard time keeping the nose down. anybody can throw a sky anny, the hard part is consistently throwing one 8-12' off the ground. i know i cant.

for long never-ending right turns i throw a Teebird flat and low, and for shorter turns i use my putter.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:throwing a good anny is somehting i really have trouble doing. it seems like lot of what has been described above really isnt anny at all, its just throwing an understable disc that will turn.

when i try to release a disc with anny i have a hard time keeping the nose down. anybody can throw a sky anny, the hard part is consistently throwing one 8-12' off the ground. i know i cant.

for long never-ending right turns i throw a Teebird flat and low, and for shorter turns i use my putter.

^^^^^
Wizards will teach you how :P Make sure your shoulders arms and neck are relaxed and telegraphthe wizard to go DANHYZER.
Last edited by Weebl on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:34 pm

i know, i need to get a wizzard.....
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:36 pm

What helped me in the beginning is doing the 'wheel', starting low pulling through in an arc; just think brokeback ferries, drawing a rainbow infront of you. It will give you something to work off.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:07 am

an anhyzer shot can be thrown with any disc as anhyzer refers to an angle of release... an anhyzer with an overstable disc = s curve, anhyzer with stable = shot that will plane out and glide right, anhyzer with understable = hard right turn or a roller.

i'm assuming you want a disc to hold a right turn its entire flight.

for any shot you want to hold turn, you need a lot of nose down to keep it from stalling and generally requires a lot of weight forward and keeping the disc close to yoru body.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Technique