Foot Pivot

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Foot Pivot

Postby black udder » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Aaron_D wrote:I dont know about that. If your plant leg is bent and you are weight forward you can pivot really fast in the front of your foot.

Try moving in your x-step direction and then pivot on the ball of your foot vs the heel. The ball feels like you almost jam your hip because the backside is coming towards the front and you pivot inside (the heel comes back to open the hip). With a heel pivot, your toes rotate out to open the hip, so it's all pulling your hip open.

I'm 100% sure that it's faster and more explosive.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby masterbeato » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 pm

why dont we just rename DGR "Blake's Anatomy".
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:38 am

I finally managed to start pivoting on my heel by using the exercise in the first post. I had to slow my x-step WAY down to get the motion correct and slowly add speed. It sounds like some of the troubles I'm hearing are from people stomping or running through the steps. You should be able to do the motions very slow right up until the plant foot and still see reasonable distance.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Beetard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I re-read Bradley's original post and started practicing it yesterday. I got a couple good pivots and quite a few decent ones. Making it work is a timing thing and I don't understand it very well at all.

When you plant on your toe and fall onto your heel, there is a moment where you less can quickly turn on your foot.

Falling is the key word here. During freefall, objects are weightless. Likewise, when you are falling onto your heel from your toe, you weigh less.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby seabas22 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 am

Im still confused on heel pivot. Does the knee straighten to pivot or is it bent throughout the plant/pivot?
I find it bizarre to try and land the toe 45 degrees from target and then move backward onto the heel for pivot. I feel like my weight goes back when I try to heel pivot. Is this correct?
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

stand on both feet and pivot them both towards the target. If you have your weight forward, you can pivot on your front heel easier. You can also pivot on the fronts/balls of your feet, but not on your toes.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:50 am

seabas22 wrote:Im still confused on heel pivot. Does the knee straighten to pivot or is it bent throughout the plant/pivot?
I find it bizarre to try and land the toe 45 degrees from target and then move backward onto the heel for pivot. I feel like my weight goes back when I try to heel pivot. Is this correct?

you may get that weight back in forms of planting on your heel, and/or resulting in a train of sequences that get you a weight back throw from the heel plant, is this correct? that is a weight back throw, the thing to worry about is that while your pivoting on the heel, your shoulders should be going forward, not having to plant on your heel, but the ball of your foot, and then roll the foot to pivot on the heel, to prevent weight back.

the knee should ultimately be kept at least slightly bent, to exert body control, prevent injury (if weak in the knee area), and power.

i would not worry about pivoting the foot, like at all if it is only being worked on independently. it is one of those things that just happen if you focus on the basic mechanical fundamentals like upper body rotation, clearing the hip etc.

if you are doing those mechanics correct based off of the fundamentals that are taught, but you are not pivoting, your timing is off somewhere or not clearing your hip or rotating correctly if at all, so therefore, should be worrying about pivoting, but it is more important to work on other things that create the pivot automatically since it is a thing that just happens by itself.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby seabas22 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the tips guys...I think I got it now! It was mostly a timing issue but what you said about the shoulders really helped. I have to land on the toes with my heel facing toward the basket to fall onto the heel and pivot. Heres a vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUL5et4yyE
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 pm

yes!

basically if you land on your heel you are leaning backwards, and therefore, throwing anhyzers. land on teh ball first, then roll back, you are throwing hyzers.

easy!

nice, and i shall give you another piece of advice - keep working on it so you do not lose it!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby black udder » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Didn't Blake say he rotated on the balls of his feet? Both at the same time?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm

yes, but to learn the pivot you have to learn one foot at a time, which would be the final parts of the throw.

you start pivoting your left foot and dig hard into the ground while you pull through and if you have the timing of the upper body down correctly, then you can move to more advanced footwork timing. the key is to get the timing down for the most difficult first step and then work on other things which are easier to get down.

Blake's philosophy is to work on the stuff in steps, steps from the most important fundamentals to get into your throw to move to the next, and the next until you are ready to work on timing and Blake has a very set philosophy on teaching that way because in order to move farther, you have to first do this, and do that, to get that.

the two seperate things you got to work on are acceleration, and wrist extension, but you have to have both but you have to work on them separately, but in order to even get to that you have to work on the basic positions first.

it is a process and you cannot work on a lot of different things at once because you will do some things right but not do the others at all, or you will, but not master them.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 pm

when we explain things in this forum to help people with a question someone has, we refer to that question as a basic question assuming you have mastered other things to get to this thing you are asking and answer the question as is, in the form of the process i explained in the above post.

that is why sometimes people do question the philosophy because people generally ask questions and want to work on things that they are not ready for.

not saying that this guy is not ready to work on the pivot, just saying as a whole so everyone knows.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I would have to see video of myself throwing some drives to know how I actually do this...I know I rotate, but it's not something I've ever had to consciously think about so I don't know how I do it.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Previous

Return to Technique