Trouble with short-arm putting

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trouble with short-arm putting

Postby ParanoidPiranhasDave » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:32 pm

I formarly putted using a kind of chest-out push longish arm putt .

After reading the article by Blake on here I decided to try short arm putting. I've spent approx. 3 hours try to get a feel for it and I just can't seem to get it to perform or feel anything but completely awkward. I have trouble getting the distance even when consentrating on a quick, short toss and a weight shift, and so to compensate, I end up tossing it far too high, ending in a big fade. I have a ton of trouble with wobble, and if I compensate by trying to wrist flick/spin it more, it sails right (RHBH). Even after all the time trying to get it, and even when the trajectory seems decent, I'm absolutely and totally inaccurate with it, (to the point of looking ridiculous).

What am I missing?
Paranoid Piranhas!

Disc golf kicks minge.
ParanoidPiranhasDave
Noob

Postby Frontman311 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:22 pm

I say just make sure you shoulders are squared up and then bend your arm slightly and move it around only using your upper arm and nothing else. Then get the motion down of making the pitch starting w/ just your upper arm moving again...then let your wrist move naturally and you come forward and release it like a dart...

The actual pitch is the thing I had the most trouble w/, but it came quickly thankfully. Good luck.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:56 pm

from the sound of it you are going with a loose wrist and using too much "bounce." this occurs when you start forward, swing back and immediately move forwards again without a pause.

this is one of the breakdowns that happens to me and i start spraying when it happens.

if you feel the finger spring, then you just have to add a pause between the backswing and forward motion.

if you don't feel the finger spring, then you will have to probably start at your body without using a backswing.

also, if your grip is too close to 3 o'clock, you may need to exert some palm push with the heel of your hand to eject the disc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:43 am

Download and watch both videos of Shawn Sinclair putting from this site. They helped me greatly when trying to visualize the words I was reading in Blake's short-arm putting article.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Technique