finally found snap with a 60% throw

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

finally found snap with a 60% throw

Postby MrTasses » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I know this is likely the 30th time this post has been written but I'm so happy that i'm writing it anyhow.

I've spent a lot of time lately trying to get that feel for snap. bent elbow didn't really do the trick, probably because I was trying to throw too hard. watching Nate Doss throw what seems so slow and methodical but his disc lands ~400' downrange sort gave me something to try. I tried slowing down but still was ripping everything at about 90% at that last instant. After field throwing for about 45 minutes tonight the timing just lined up and I felt a little extra tug on my hand as I was thowing a controlled drive. suddenly the disc flew flatter, faster, and about 10% further.

now I just have to keep finding that timing.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:52 am

what you discovered is finishing...

that elusive timing element that can't be located in still frames or slow motion video. you are on the right track.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby MrTasses » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25 am

the feeling and timing of it is hard to explain. I see now why the concept eluded me for so long. Nate Doss talked about it a lot in his driving clinic and I know you (Blake) have explained the concept in several articles, but now i finally get it. and the finishing point is later than I expected.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:52 pm

is finishing essentially the hit and follow through?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MrTasses » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:16 pm

I would say yes, it is the hit and the follow through?

I think my problem has been that I never really had a 'hit' because I wasn't timing my acceleration of the throw properly. i wasn't fully taking advantage of the tendon bounce.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:09 pm

thats what ive been figuring out. its ALL about snap when it comes to power, and that makes aim way easier than using your whole arm and throwing so hard u can feel it
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Return to Technique