Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby masterbeato » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 pm

my plan this summer was to make a new video, go over everything again and touch up on it and create some new things to explain that i have wanted to do that Blake has taught me, and do it with a good quality camera, and put it on a bunch of DVD's and have Charlie at Gotta Go Gotta Throw sell them so people can have a good copy for their home TV.

nice quality!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby patdabunny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm

masterbeato wrote:lol its all good i can understand.

Good, I was starting to worry about my brain after that post... :lol:

masterbeato wrote:stopping the elbow is something that just happens when the elbow is pushed out so far to where it cant go any further anymore.

punching towards the target is on any upshot or short drive, or however long you can throw it. in order to throw far, you cannot throw that way since throwing for power is more of a circular motion.

I tried this today and was nearly putting in 100' shots, just like you said. I also found that just by extending your wrist (the handshake position or making your thumb parallel with your forearm) adds a HUGE amount of snap and spin to the disc. When I get it right, it adds ~75' to a drive and I can get mids out to 250' or so (give or take some) with zero run up! I was shocked to say the least.

BTW, I "discovered" the putting technique you have your vid on several years ago, except that I lift my arm somewhat higher than you or Blake T does. I went to try it and found it was what I was already doing! Cool! :D

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby josser » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm

masterbeato wrote:punching towards the target is on any upshot or short drive, or however long you can throw it. in order to throw far, you cannot throw that way since throwing for power is more of a circular motion.

I have to say that this was a point that I missed. That the punching toward the target was meant for upshots.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:19 pm

josser wrote:
masterbeato wrote:punching towards the target is on any upshot or short drive, or however long you can throw it. in order to throw far, you cannot throw that way since throwing for power is more of a circular motion.

I have to say that this was a point that I missed. That the punching toward the target was meant for upshots.

i will be touching up on that in the new video coming out.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby GunnerUnitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm

great idea Dan!! also great marketing idea for future sponsors as well.
If ur playing am nats and are gonna be in ohio for worlds, I would love to play some
golf w/ya and field work too, I really love analyzing and breaking down form. if you need a place
to stay for am nats let me know, i live an hour away, but my aunt works for hilton so i will have a suite for the
weekend and your more then welcomed to crash. trying to keep good energy around me that weekend!
GunnerUnitas
Noob

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 pm

GunnerUnitas wrote:great idea Dan!! also great marketing idea for future sponsors as well.
If ur playing am nats and are gonna be in ohio for worlds, I would love to play some
golf w/ya and field work too, I really love analyzing and breaking down form. if you need a place
to stay for am nats let me know, i live an hour away, but my aunt works for hilton so i will have a suite for the
weekend and your more then welcomed to crash. trying to keep good energy around me that weekend!

Thanks man!

yeah that sounds awesome, i have been trying to look for a place to crash, finding hotels etc..

i would be glad to work with you out in the field for am nats and play practice rounds with you. keep in touch!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby josser » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 pm

I have a question about accelerating from the front pec and this seems like the best place for this question. I just spent a couple of hours re-reading many of the technique threads and this is still a point of confusion for me.

When accelerating from the front pec should it feel like I am trying to
(A) Treat my elbow like a stationary pivot point and whip my forearm (with disc attached) around this point, or
(B) Pull the disc as hard as I can directly at the target?

In some threads it sounds more like (A) is what I should be picturing and in others (like the snap 2009 thread) it sounds like (B) is what I should be picturing. (A) would seem to have much more potential in terms of leverage, and (B) would seem to accomplish more in terms of coiling and uncoiling of the wrist. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get my shoulder to pause (thanks to Dan for recently bringing this to my attention, and Blake for having brought it to my attention in the fall) and I'm trying to get a consistent mental picture in my head for what I am trying to do with the disc from the front pec onward.

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

josser wrote:I have a question about accelerating from the front pec and this seems like the best place for this question. I just spent a couple of hours re-reading many of the technique threads and this is still a point of confusion for me.

(A) Treat my elbow like a stationary pivot point and whip my forearm (with disc attached) around this point, or

In some threads it sounds more like (A) is what I should be picturing and in others (like the snap 2009 thread) it sounds like (B) is what I should be picturing. (A) would seem to have much more potential in terms of leverage, and (B) would seem to accomplish more in terms of coiling and uncoiling of the wrist. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get my shoulder to pause (thanks to Dan for recently bringing this to my attention, and Blake for having brought it to my attention in the fall) and I'm trying to get a consistent mental picture in my head for what I am trying to do with the disc from the front pec onward.

to get the snap down and timing down is (B) because when it is a full throw, where the disc is positioned in this drill is where you should be accelerating through.

you start at the beginning of the power zone in this drill, and the point is to throw as hard as humanly possible because that is how you do it, it just helps doing this drill since it is really hard to control speed and timing on a reach back when you are learning it.

basically this drill is to help you get to that position and accelerate it at the same time.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby josser » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

masterbeato wrote:to get the snap down and timing down is (B) because when it is a full throw, where the disc is positioned in this drill is where you should be accelerating through.

you start at the beginning of the power zone in this drill, and the point is to throw as hard as humanly possible because that is how you do it, it just helps doing this drill since it is really hard to control speed and timing on a reach back when you are learning it.

basically this drill is to help you get to that position and accelerate it at the same time.

So if you start through the front pec drill sequence with the stand still ones and no reachback, you still try to pull as hard as you can at the target (B) instead of trying to whip the disc around about your elbow (A)? I have been doing (A) and not (B) and that is perhaps part of my issue with not having a shoulder pause. To the field!

(Thanks Dan)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 am

josser wrote:I have a question about accelerating from the front pec and this seems like the best place for this question. I just spent a couple of hours re-reading many of the technique threads and this is still a point of confusion for me.

What about a normal drive one with a reach back. What are you trying to do once the disc is around the right pec? I too feel like (A) is being talked about but is this right and if so when should this happen compared to (B). I can see how one would do either or some of each. Wouldn't one pause the elbow to start the chop which would make the elbow more of a pivot point. At this point should one pull the disc toward the target?
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby MrScoopa » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:30 pm

The elbow is like a pivot, but it only stops long enough to transfer the power your lower body generated. When my forearm is already being slung out from the elbow pause then I start to pull hard. Its like I am combining the power of my lower body with the power I do have in my arm. I am getting great results with this even from just a standstill.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby masterbeato » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

josser wrote:
masterbeato wrote:to get the snap down and timing down is (B) because when it is a full throw, where the disc is positioned in this drill is where you should be accelerating through.

So if you start through the front pec drill sequence with the stand still ones and no reachback, you still try to pull as hard as you can at the target (B) instead of trying to whip the disc around about your elbow (A)? I have been doing (A) and not (B) and that is perhaps part of my issue with not having a shoulder pause. To the field!

(Thanks Dan)

correct
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm

bcsst26 wrote:

What about a normal drive one with a reach back. What are you trying to do once the disc is around the right pec? I too feel like (A) is being talked about but is this right and if so when should this happen compared to (B). I can see how one would do either or some of each. Wouldn't one pause the elbow to start the chop which would make the elbow more of a pivot point. At this point should one pull the disc toward the target?

you should always pull the disc toward the target.

that being said, the regular reach back throws (considering you have already mastered the disc position in the power zone), throwing hard at the end indicates you are accelerating through that power zone, but trying to add a reach back the important key is to gradually do it. work on it and it will sink in your brain that "no matter how short or long my reachback is, i will always hit this position because thats when i know i have to throw hard."
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby JHern » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm

MrScoopa wrote:The elbow is like a pivot, but it only stops long enough to transfer the power your lower body generated. When my forearm is already being slung out from the elbow pause then I start to pull hard. Its like I am combining the power of my lower body with the power I do have in my arm. I am getting great results with this even from just a standstill.

This makes better sense to me. I don't see why it isn't A+B, in the current nomenclature. Both are good. Both are power.

Dan: why does it have to be A or B, and not A and B?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 am

It may be saying the same thing. If you are pulling the disc directly at the target your elbow would have to be stationary for at least a second. Else you'll be doing one of my classics and come around to fast with the lower body and actually take power away from the throw!
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

PreviousNext

Return to Technique