Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby patdabunny » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:16 pm

masterbeato wrote:@drledford93,

i would not change your grip unless your fingers are not in the right place.

what should be happening with a power grip is that as long as your index finger pad is firmly tucked on the rim, and all of the other fingers have supporting joints, while holding it firmly, there should not be a problem.

Well, it feels like my index finger grip is slipping and not getting a good pop like I feel it should.

I've taken a couple of videos of my drives to show you (and others) what I'm doing. I'll post it over in the video critique section. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at 'em. Thanks!

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for posting the wrist extension video.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby patdabunny » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

I was trying the punching toward the target technique with putters from about 50-60' away and was hitting basket and chain about half the time and the other half I was close. I HAD to make sure to pinch the disc, otherwise, I was off. Interesting...

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm slightly grip locking on every throw. How do I correct this? Do I just re-learn at the right release point? Grip issues? When I release at the right point, my snap is very noticeable and discs do what they should do. However, that's one in a hundred throws for me.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby patdabunny » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

tigel wrote:I'm slightly grip locking on every throw. How do I correct this? Do I just re-learn at the right release point? Grip issues? When I release at the right point, my snap is very noticeable and discs do what they should do. However, that's one in a hundred throws for me.

According to Blake, it's generally timing issues, not grip issues. Focus on your timing.

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Redisculous » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:07 pm

If I recall correctly this may be related to the shoulders turning too much/fast.

Google advanced search ftw
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby tigel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

interesting, I'll look into that stuff.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby masterbeato » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 pm

it is your point of release....first find your release point and just try to get to that point.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby patdabunny » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Dan and Blake--

Your techniques have added so much more consistency and "technique" to my game, it's insane. I thought I was a pretty good player (970s rated), but the "punching toward the target" technique and really strengthening my grip has substantially changed my game. I have not played a round yet, but I know enough to know that it will shave several strokes per round off my scores. Both from distance and accuracy.

I know my form had a lot of problems when I first asked questions. I freely admit that. I've worked hard on correcting that and have come to the point of throwing 360' with a lot of slip, not rip. I think once I get my hands "muscled up" and increase my grip strength, I will be throwing 75-100' further. I know it might sound like wishful thinking but I feel like all the timing pieces are in place and I have really made some understanding breakthroughs in the last day or two.

I've found someone here locally to help watch my form (and me watch his) that will also help greatly. This, in my mind will be the best help of all. Nothing like another set of eyes that can see more than just a youtube video... :D

Thanks!

Daniel

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby gretagun » Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am

I have decided to go back to the field and do some right pec drills to clean up some issues, and i have one quick question. When doing this drill should my wrist still be straight/neutral while the disc is at the right pec, or should it be closed/cocked back? I'm thinking it should be straight then after I start pulling it will close then open, but I thought I'd check with the experts here. Is this correct? Thanks!
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby JR » Mon May 10, 2010 12:07 pm

That's my current understanding.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 15, 2010 3:01 pm

JR wrote:That's my current understanding.

Just to reiterate--you MUST ACTIVELY OPEN the wrist at the hit to maximize the hit, right?

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby MrScoopa » Sat May 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Yes, that is the difference between half-hitting and hitting all of it.

It is very hard to time. Which I guess is kinda obvious since at this point in the throw things are happening rather quickly.

What I have been doing lately is resisting the wrist opening. When it gets to the point to where I can't hold it back(my arm is nearly extended) I try to do the Bruce Lee style one inch punch except the wrist movement is horizontal and not vertical. Or, open my box cutter. In order to open my knife you must have active wrist extension. This is the feeling I shoot for in my throw.

What else makes it more difficult to execute is my grip strength. The disc REALLY wants to come out. Especially after I am resisting the bend, but I can't catch the timing if I let the wrist open incidentally.

I can throw with half hitting snap all day on demand now, but the active wrist extension is actually tiring to my forearm and hand at this point. I need to build up those muscles! Where are my weights?
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby patdabunny » Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 pm

MrScoopa wrote:Yes, that is the difference between half-hitting and hitting all of it.

Gotcha. Hmm. Something to ponder. How do you keep your wrist stiff without keeping your forearm and upper arm too stiff and therefore slowing down and missing the whole timing thing?

MrScoopa wrote:What I have been doing lately is resisting the wrist opening. When it gets to the point to where I can't hold it back(my arm is nearly extended) I try to do the Bruce Lee style one inch punch except the wrist movement is horizontal and not vertical. Or, open my box cutter. In order to open my knife you must have active wrist extension. This is the feeling I shoot for in my throw.

Do you do this with a standstill throw, a full run up or both? This seems REALLY difficult to time and feels really unnatural. Is this something that you started to practice while doing the right pec drill? Or, can you even do it then? Just tried it in my back yard and felt a little with my putters, but will have to try it more on the practice field to tell more.

MrScoopa wrote:What else makes it more difficult to execute is my grip strength. The disc REALLY wants to come out. Especially after I am resisting the bend, but I can't catch the timing if I let the wrist open incidentally.

I can throw with half hitting snap all day on demand now, but the active wrist extension is actually tiring to my forearm and hand at this point. I need to build up those muscles! Where are my weights?

Me too. I can get 425' pretty regularly, but can't get much past it.

I noticed that I can get much more snap on a towel when I lift my elbow up from its "normal" position at my stomach to closer to my chest. Hmm. Yet another thing I must try...

Powerball! Just dooooo eeeet! (Think Arnold).

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Sat May 15, 2010 7:22 pm

i have been doing the pen throw, even though i have the wrist extension on lock down, i just wanted to see if it helps, and sure enough after you do that for about an hour each day you can really focus hard on it.

if you are having trouble i suggest working that pen drill for some time with your focus merely on that wrist position. stop your hand and see where its at, and try to do that in standstill throws and stop your hand to see if its in the same position as the pen throws.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

PreviousNext

Return to Technique