Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby black udder » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:24 pm

That'd be awesome! I *KNOW* that once guys see that shown and understand the concept it'll be "DUH!" :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:18 am

MandShowI wrote:well..i think i can find someone willing to show rotational power. i personally play with at least 3 guys who can get it out past 500..and probably another 3 can get it past 450....not counting dan.

two of the guys who can get it out to 500 are the typical distance thrower body..6 foot + lanky arms..the works. the other guy is about..5'6'' and has about a 3 foot x-step...TOTAL.

so no worries..rotational power video..oh yeah it will happen.

Sweet. I know this is one of the parts that I am lacking. After watching the first video that you guys made things started to click. And of course while at work I think about my form and practice it when I can and some more things started to click. Can't wait to hit the field tonight. I know if I can see a video of rotational power/hip pivot and putting it all together from the ground up I will be taking another step. Thanks again for all the hard work and I look forward to a nice Christmas present.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:28 pm

I know a few guys around here that I throw with sometimes that will break 500' fairly easily.

James Smith, Jack Smith, and Jon Drummond. Cale Leiviska can, but I don't throw with him.

Otherwise the guys that still play these days I do not know any besides the ones I have listed can break 500'. Some people back in like late 90's and early 2000's they could back then but they quit for a while and came back and lost a lot of their D. I know some of them newer people I know now can break 430' or 450' but just barely and they are throwing Destroyers, Wraiths and Boss's.

The people I have listed can break the 500' mark with a Crush or any disc that is under speed 11 and even speed 7 discs. It's not a big deal to see a guy throw a Destroyer 450' but it is amazing to see someone throw a Flick at 60 degrees of hyzer and have it turn over a bit and have it go 500'+. Now that is sick! Hence Jack Smith. He doesn't play tournaments anymore and James comes out once in a blue moon but they play harmless rec rounds once in a while. James lost a lot of his power but it is still nice to see him hit an X-2 430'+ and also get helpful advice from him.

A lot of people throw past 400' in the Advanced and pro divisions throwing the fast stuff but if you put an X-2 or a Tee-Bird into their hands they will max out at around 350' - 380' range. A couple people MIGHT (big word MIGHT) throw 1-4 out of 10 times breaking 400'. X-2's they most likely will not break 350' - 380' range. The longest I have thrown an X-2 was 460' give or take. Tee-Bird was about 500' maybe a little past 500' give or take.

I am sorry to blab on about this guys but the new discs that are made (really fast discs destroyers etc..) are made for people at the 380' plateau to get more out of their Distance. It is the quick and easy way to gain Distance but they will never break their original Plateau with slower plastic. Just learn the Technique and out throw them with slower discs and it pisses them off or they will not notice because they do not understand.

My rant is over.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby sunspot » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Good advice, beato. Speaking of discs which ones would you recommend for the "right pec" drill? Wizards, Rocs, fairway drivers, what else?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:16 pm

masterbeato wrote: Yes that is the first thing I noticed about this new kind of throw is the sound and how FAST it came out.

Word.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTT!!!! Gone.

When I REALLY get my elbow WAY forward (swinging the elbow out in front in an arc) I have been getting a late turn I did not notice before. The disc turns later. You would think the disc would turn sooner.

It also does not go to the right when it turns. It appears to fly straight banked to the right with the nose down.

Maybe more spin.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 pm

sunspot wrote:Good advice, beato. Speaking of discs which ones would you recommend for the "right pec" drill? Wizards, Rocs, fairway drivers, what else?

Any disc works it really does not matter as long as you get the feeling down that is most important.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
masterbeato wrote: Yes that is the first thing I noticed about this new kind of throw is the sound and how FAST it came out.

Word.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTT!!!! Gone.

When I REALLY get my elbow WAY forward (swinging the elbow out in front in an arc) I have been getting a late turn I did not notice before. The disc turns later. You would think the disc would turn sooner.

It also does not go to the right when it turns. It appears to fly straight banked to the right with the nose down.

Maybe more spin.

I'm not even going to pretend that I have this down at all, but since I throw lighter plastic, I believe I'm seeing some similar results that guys are getting with more overstable stuff at longer distance.

That said, I agree 100% Brad. The spin on the disc keeps it stable longer so it gets further out before the understability is able to kick in.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:02 am

black udder wrote:
That said, I agree 100% Brad. The spin on the disc keeps it stable longer so it gets further out before the understability is able to kick in.

Something like that...

Blake has always said that increased snap will lead to totally new flight paths.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby gretagun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Just have to say thanks to everyone involved in making the video, and to MB for helping the rest of us out. This video helped clarify many concepts that I was on the verge of "getting" but was not quite there. The right pec/getting the disc close really makes more sense with a visual aid such as this video. It's almost 50 degrees out today, and although it will be sloppy from the melting snow, I'm headed out to practice. Thanks again!
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby black udder » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
black udder wrote:

Something like that...

Blake has always said that increased snap will lead to totally new flight paths.

Yeah, I can't say that I'm competent with those new flight paths, but I've seen guys do it and I've seen my discs that, at one time, would just go out 50'-100' and turn over into the ground, now I can throw them with hyzer and they'll go out past 100', flip up, fly flat for another 150' or so, then turn over and do whatever before coming down. That kind of distance before a turnover was unheard of for me before.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby CJ1998 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I've been on this board for a little over a year now. I've read so many times about "right pec" and "hit backwards" but never really understood it until I saw this vid. Nice work, masterbeato.

I had a chance to try this out with my 3 aviars the other day. So far, I've had two good sessions just throwing from the right pec. It's tempting to go back and grab a Destroyer and look for the instant gratification, but I've made it a point not to do that. I did grab a Teebird and a Leopard today, though.

I noticed to things. Firstly, the disc has tons more spin. I was getting huge skips with the Teebird. I was getting the putters to skip as well. Secondly, the discs, while not moving as quickly, were in the air longer. I was getting similar D to what I'm used to, but the flight was noticeably slower -- almost as if the disc was floating down.

Usually my drives head out really fast (probably with lots of OAT and nose-up) and run out of steam after about 290 feet -- falling straight down. I would get more D by throwing a slight anhyzer. About 1 in 10 drives would get past 350 with some 400 ft tailwind-assisted flukes.

I plan to keep working on the hit back and focus on the accuracy. I tend to crank everything to the right for most shots. This exercise kind of highlights it. It's been getting better, though.

I'd say that you should expect the process to take a couple weeks before things really start to click.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Great video guys. I really learned a lot from it. I tried using this snap method today and had mixed results. I had an excellent throw, probably my best throw ever. Over 300 with a Buzzz. But, for the most part I just couldn't get the elbow timing right.

In the video in looks like you elbow goes toward the basket before your forearm starts swinging. Is that right? So it's kind of like elbow coming forward is 1, disc coming away from chest and swinging is number 2, then the shoulder/hip pivot is 3. Is that right?

Thanks for the video. I've watched it about 3 times now. The short putt method is cool too. Thanks guys.
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby black udder » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:32 pm

The arm chopping out is the last thing.

First is the hip rotation, then the torso rotation, when your get the disc into your right pec, then shoulder rotation plus arm pull, plus fire the elbow out. All that rotational power should eject the disc, you just need to make sure you guide it all the way down your arm instead of letting it fling out away from your chest.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby MandShowI » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:32 am

even though i havent started practicing this yet. and it hasnt quite been mentioned yet. but MB and i were talking during a round and we both brought up muscle memory.... basically dont get down on urself or this technique right away..give it time. you are learning something completely new. you have to force your muscles to forget what they already know how to do and learn something completely different. keep at it so you can show off to all your friends once summer rolls around!
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:14 am

black udder wrote:The arm chopping out is the last thing.

First is the hip rotation, then the torso rotation, when your get the disc into your right pec, then shoulder rotation plus arm pull, plus fire the elbow out. All that rotational power should eject the disc, you just need to make sure you guide it all the way down your arm instead of letting it fling out away from your chest.

Thank you :D That makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the help. This site is really helping me.
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

PreviousNext

Return to Technique