Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby Bangrrr Bob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:29 pm

Guess I know what I'm working on over lunch tomorrow....in the snow :D :D :D
Focus, Meteor, Buzzz, Stalker, Nuke, Pred....
Bangrrr Bob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Focus

Postby masterbeato » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:04 am

exaggerate everything you see in that video. If you exaggerate things they tend to come out better.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby malinkie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 pm

hey guys,

long time lurker, first time poster :)

Iv'e been watching your video over and over and been practicing in the field and i'm starting to see improvements :D. I've been out there with my putters (which ive never been able to throw apart from to putt) and i'm getting them out there around 220. I mainly focused on relaxing during my xstep so that i could get a feel for the arm coming to my left pec (i'm a southpaw) then whipping. It give me natural acceleration. I still have a couple of questions...

1. I always griplock with a power grip on my putters / mids so i switched to a climo stacked grip. It works better but i do release slightly early sometimes. Is there another grip you could recommend?

2. It doesn't feel as if i am putting as much power on the throw (feels easier)... is this normal?

I want to thank everyone on the forum for all the help you give. Now back to the field...

-mal
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:09 pm

malinkie wrote:1. I always griplock with a power grip on my putters / mids so i switched to a climo stacked grip. It works better but i do release slightly early sometimes. Is there another grip you could recommend?

I had kind of an epiphany the other morning. I was holding a spatula and taping it on the edge of the pan while I was cooking. Then I started thinking about how I was holding the spatula the same way I would hold a drum stick. That got me thinking about "natural grip". What feels the most comfortable in your hands.

The natural grip is the best way to throw a disc. It feels much better sitting in a fleshier part of your hand. The pressure points are in exactly the same places they would be if playing drums or using a spatula etc...

I'd not that experienced but I would stay with the grip, just tweak it a little and make it what's natural to you.

malinkie wrote:2. It doesn't feel as if i am putting as much power on the throw (feels easier)... is this normal?

I've been trying this method for about a week now. And it feels much better than what I was doing before. So if you're doing less and getting more you're definitely on the right track. I've been practicing everyday at a baseball field near my house and I've managed to some mids over the fence. I'm getting a lot out of the method using less power. I'm trying to use 70-85 percent power and focus on form (mainly what my elbow is doing and when my disc is coming to my chest from the reach back). Even at 80% I'm getting 30 percent farther than 100% effort using my old (somewhat painful) form.

****If you liked my idea about the natural grip, here's a little side thought. If the backhand grip is like a standard right hand drum stick grip (the natural grip). Then a left hand snare drummers grip (like marching band) is a lot like a forehand grip. Sure there's more fingers on top of a drumstick in this position than a disc, but the pressure points are pretty much the same. It's another natural grip that offers a lot of control.

Welcome to the site dude. I haven't been here long, but I love the game and this site has a lot to offer so I'm not going anywhere for awhile.
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby MandShowI » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:50 pm

for mids and putters i use a fan grip no matter what. the only thing i change is how tightly i hold the disc..that helps me control how far i throw it if i dont wanna turn it over on a pull power throw.. actually used to grip lock on every single mid range shot i had till i changed to the fan grip. also MB has a modified fan grip that is different from the modified fan grip u see online. he said blake t taught it to him. sorry that i cant explain that one but im thinking he can..maybe even put up a picture..if hes feeling nice
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby malinkie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:49 am

I tried a fan grip also but it didn't feel strong enough i think the stacked grip is a good half way between a power and fan grip. I've got the disc in a place that feels comfy. Now all i have to focus on is the strength of the grip.

I'm going to be playing a lot over the Christmas break and i think that the putter revolution for me has started now. all those short holes that i used to throw my spider or a really weak driver on i can probably park with my putters.

Hit Chains Guys n Gals!

-mal
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am

1. I always griplock with a power grip on my putters / mids so i switched to a climo stacked grip. It works better but i do release slightly early sometimes. Is there another grip you could recommend?

griplock is rarely related to grip.
95% of griplock is caused by 1 or more of these 3 things:
1. not keeping the disc close to the body during the pull.
2. not getting your weight forward.
3. starting your pull too early.

griplock when throwing putters/mids is usually caused by #2 as people tend to wuss their push off coming out of the cross step and don't get the same kind of weight forward they get when throwing a driver.

2. It doesn't feel as if i am putting as much power on the throw (feels easier)... is this normal?

60% in, 100% out. that is what i teach people. most players are 100% in, 60% out.

the correct way feels easier, since you realize it's a very narrow window where you actually have to be throwing hard (12-18" worth of motion).

the incorrect way bleeds power and often people put massive amounts of energy into the wrong area of the throw resulting in lots of exertion for very little efficiency.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Blake_T wrote:the incorrect way bleeds power and often people put massive amounts of energy into the wrong area of the throw resulting in lots of exertion for very little efficiency.

Werd.

I played my first round Saturday using the technique outlined by the pec drill. For this round I told myself I would ONLY concentrate on this technique and take the results. I would ONLY concentrate on achieving the proper *extreme* position outlined by that drill. No matter what happened I would not change.

I was throwing as far and as accurately as I do on my best days, but the effort I was using overall during the throw was roughly 70% of my previous effort. This is no joke.

I played the whole round and think I could have played all day long. I was not tired. I never get tired walking or humping the hills, but my back and hips will get tired. Not this time.

I also have no run up to speak of now. I am using one steps and two steps mostly, and using a skip step when I want to kill it.

Much more to do, but I am literally smiling ear to ear with my progress.

Lastly, my arm has been repaired surgically, so I am apprehensive to throw harder that 70%, although I think I could. I am afraid my arm will explode at the elbow. If you work on this drill in earnest, you will need to work up slowly if you are doing it right. Your arm WILL SEE MORE STRESS IF YOU ARE GETTING YOUR ELBOW FORWARD. Believe it.

PS: When I do it right, "the air gets sucked out from below the disc" at a point where the elbow starts to uncock (right at the lead shoulder). That is what I call it... it is like the disc moves out of that spot so fast it creates a vacuum. This is especially true with a putter (with a big air pocket under the disc). I know this sounds crazy, but even if I am full of shit, it is a great mental image. I believe this is what Blake calls "displacing the air". To me it feels like *evacuating* the air.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby malinkie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

griplock when throwing putters/mids is usually caused by #2 as people tend to wuss their push off coming out of the cross step and don't get the same kind of weight forward they get when throwing a driver.

Think you might be spot on and i don't think it has anything to do with me wussing out with my push off. When out in the field yesterday i was thinking that i was putting my plant foot too far forward. This was slowing me down and pulling my weight back. I think i am overcompensating for the fact that i usually run off the edge of the tee.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Postby malinkie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Hey Blake. Sorry for dissing on your advice earlier. i do think it is because i am wussing out when throwing my putters. Haven't had much chance in the recent crappy weather to go out and practice but i did manage to switch back to a power grip and not griplock :)

I is happy ;)
-Mal
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:38 am

no worries, i don't feel like you were dissing it.

often, too long of a plant step vs. not enough push from your cross step go hand in hand. the plant step is only too long if you don't have a strong enough push.

when you are trying to kill a driver with a really aggressive runup, most of the time people can take a large plant step and have enough momentum/drive coming through their cross step to get forward. it's on the 60% power shots where either the plant step has to shorten or the push off has to be stronger in order to get the same kind of weight forward.

many players, including some very good 980+ rated pros i know have this problem once they hit a tweener range between jump putts and long approaches (usually in the 75-150' range) where they are leaned back during their approach shots and have a bit of spray and range problems when faced with shots of this length.

the rule of thumb i go for is that your chest should be over your knee (or even slightly more forward) when you come through on putter drives.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby elnino » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 pm

I can't wait to try this...I watched some video of long drives but i was just trying to copy not really knowign what to do and went from zero to hero from 225 to 325 in one session...can't wait to use this info for another 100feet!!!

what grip are you recommending for beginners throwing 325ft?
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby masterbeato » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:20 pm

elnino wrote:

Power, Fan, Stack.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby MandShowI » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:10 am

masterbeato wrote:
elnino wrote:

Power, Fan, Stack.

also..just grab the a few discs that u use most often..and go down the list of grips. see what one feels most comfortable for each type driving and mid/putting.
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:36 am

elnino wrote:I can't wait to try this...I watched some video of long drives but i was just trying to copy not really knowign what to do and went from zero to hero from 225 to 325 in one session...can't wait to use this info for another 100feet!!!

Just be prepared for that next hundred feet to come vvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyy sssssslllllloooooooowwwwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to Technique