Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Putting with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Putting with Dan Beato (Video)

Postby adidadg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:52 pm

mzuleger wrote:I didn't think this style would work very well for me but I gave it some practice last night and it was surprsingly accurate. my only question/concern is what do you do on longer putts? I can't imagine you can jump putt with this form so does that mean you need to change your putting style for longer putts?

Thanks for posting great vids like this one, the are appreciated!

For long putts it is the same style of pitch, but with added weight shift to get extra power. A jump putt is really just an exaggerated weight shift, so yes you do jump putt with this form.

Another thing with long putts is you will need to switch from a line-drive to an apex putt, so you should be aiming completely differently but the technique is really the same.

oops, i see Blake already beat me to the punch, oh well
adidadg

Postby masterbeato » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:09 pm

My name is Ban Deto!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:25 pm

:lol: Bandito
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jerrod » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Great video and thanks for the hard work!

I played with the technique last night. I didn't like the feel to much but one huge benefit was that it showed me how much fluff and extraneous movement I had in my own stroke. I definitely changed my own stroke after practice. Similar to what you showed but with a bit more rhythm. I did notice that after adding more of a push from the stomach to my stroke I found my putts in the 25 foot range to be much flatter which I have been trying to achieve for quite a while. Once again big thanks to all involved in the video and of course Blake T.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:56 pm

The point of the whole stroke is to keep the disc flat the entire way through until the disc is out of your hand. Also, The stroke starts at your belt buckle or below, and ends at the top of your stomach or stomach level.

On another note so no one is confused. People give Blake sh!t because he can tell you anything thats going wrong in your technique and he can fix anything but cannot do it himself. I think it is BS that people do that but there is one thing Blake has over them idiots, and that it putting. Over the span of the years I have known him, hung out with him, and played with him I have never seen him miss a putt inside 18' or 19'----ever. When it counted I have never seen him miss a putt inside 30'----ever.

The point is that if anyone doesn't take his teaching seriously, at least take putting seriously because it is his stroke. I am not saying any of you are like this but I was just saying just in case because a lot of people around me dislike him because of this stupid crap. :)
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Jerrod » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Most of the best coaches in any sport were not champions themselves. The only problem I have ever had with the fundamentals that Blake preaches is my inability to understand his concepts. This most likely is because I learn much more via hands on experience. This is why your videos are so great!
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby bortimus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:58 pm

On another note so no one is confused. People give Blake sh!t because he can tell you anything thats going wrong in your technique and he can fix anything but cannot do it himself.

Sorry about the thread drift, but Dan makes an excellent point here. I remember picking up a disc for the first time in July of '06 and throwing nose-up sky hyzers that were maxing out at 175 feet. Now I'm a mid 980's rated golfer (whatever that's worth) and am improving all the time. I threw my first two 1000+ rated rounds in the last tourney I played. Virtually everything I learned about distance (now my strong suit), accuracy, putting (pitch it!), rollers, overhands, etc... came from this website, and I encourage every player I meet to check it out. Blake does a great job analyzing and dissecting the throw (the technique repair section is great for any player to troubleshoot their throw)
He also recognizes that although people throw differently (much like ball golfers swing differently), certain universal truths apply, such as:

Disc close to body=snap
Weight forward
Disc fading backwards=nose up
Arm stopping=disc ejecting during putt
Too many more to list

These general guidelines allow players to tweak THEIR OWN throws to allow these things to happen.

I am a bent arm thrower. I have tried to straight pull, but it doesn't work for me. My bent arm style has organically developed and I have had success with it. My body seems to intuitively move that way. If I had stumbled upon another person who absolutely insisted that I was throwing incorrectly, I probably would have been driven from the game due to frustration.
bortimus
Tree Magnet

Postby sunspot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 pm

When you finish the putt it looks like you're about to shake someone's hand, not fully extended. It's that an accurate assumption of how the elbow and hand should during and after the putt?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby disc junkie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 pm

figured this should be next to the short arm putting section 8)
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Bandito,

There is one magical concept I was hoping to hear, but didn't. "Finger spring".

Blake is holding out on you. :P

It will cure your wobblies. :wink:
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 pm

i dont have wobblies at all.....i just suck at explaining putting...LOL
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:19 pm

bortimus wrote:Sorry about the thread drift, but Dan makes an excellent point here. I remember picking up a disc for the first time in July of '06 and throwing nose-up sky hyzers that were maxing out at 175 feet. Now I'm a mid 980's rated golfer (whatever that's worth) and am improving all the time.

damn, you will beat me on the course easily! my rating is 944 but going down and down because i will not be a PDGA member this year. I do not score well for some reason unknown and i have been playing since 04'-05' range. so you will be the next up and coming great player while i'll be stuck in advanced.
sunspot wrote:When you finish the putt it looks like you're about to shake someone's hand, not fully extended.

yes!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:47 am

Dan,
The flutter in some of your putts is quite apparent.

What causes flutter?
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby Autiger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Is the wrist supposed to be as open as MB shows in the video? And are there any pros that utilize the short hand putting?
Autiger
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Teebird

Postby malinkie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:31 pm

bortimus wrote:Quote:
On another note so no one is confused. People give Blake sh!t because he can tell you anything thats going wrong in your technique and he can fix anything but cannot do it himself.

Same can be said for some of the BEST coaches in sports. Blake, u rock!
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

PreviousNext

Return to Technique