shoe wear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: shoe wear

Postby JKP » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm

i weigh 165 and tore my soles both sides in about 25 rds
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Eric O » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 am

To the starter of the thread: Learn to stop dragging your toe! Problem solved.

dgdave wrote:I'm a big guy, 6'5" 280lbs (DING!!!!), and I have more problems with the material upper than the soles. I've mainly been wearing North Face since Sept, and I also have some Salomons that I wear every once in a while. The salomons were a replacement pair from when I blew out the upper on my lat pair. They were 9 month old. TNF shoes are great, but the upper is tearing and the goretex leaks, so I'm sending them in for return.

I wore merrell chamellions for 1 1/2 years and finally retired them because the inside heal had totally been ripped out. The sole showed wear, but still had a lot of life in them.
Dave,
I think the issue is you need to replace your kicks more often. After 6-9 months of heavy use, including teeing off on concrete pads, any good disc golf shoe I've ever had is at the end of it's life cycle. Especially for a full size dude such as yourself. At least most of the manufacturers have a full one year warranty, so you can sometimes extend your value through returns (sounds like you are already familiar with this).

Replacing more often is just better for your feet anyway. Lots of time the midsole cushioning breaks down before the wear on the upper and outsole gets out of hand, then you're just risking injury or lingering health problems by continuing to walk on broken down cushioning.

I'm on my feet a lot of the time, and I eventually came to look at athletic shoes as a semi-disposable, frequently replaced item. I'm kind of cheap, and I try to buy as little as possible of stuff I don't need, but I have tons of athletic shoes cause I feel that healthy feet/legs/back/etc is critical to continuing my athletic pursuits for many years to come. At any given time I usually have 2-4 pairs of trail runners, 2-4 pairs of running shoes (separate pairs for running and dry weather disc), mountain boots, and some high tops for shooting hoops. I don't even like to use the same pair of shoes for different sports. It might seem like I'm taking it too far, but I'm in my mid-30s and weigh in close to 2 bucks, and I can still spend several days in a row moving around on my feet all day long without suffering any soreness, fatigue, back or foot problems. Hard to argue with the results.

Alright, rant mode off.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby YoungGunLefty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 am

The only shoe that I have used for DG besides old tennis shoes is Salomons and I absolutely love the way they feel on my feet and probably wont ever change to another shoe but I do also have the same problems of the sole coming off of them after about 10 rounds but then again I just send them back and get my money back and then buy a new pair so it ends up working out in the end plus I get a new style like every month. So it makes me feel like im sponsored by salomon. haha
Team DGA
YoungGunLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Boss

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am

dgdave wrote:I'm a big guy, 6'5" 280lbs (DING!!!!)

Dan Patrick reference?

I'm 6'1", 185, and I've never run through a pair of shoes playing disc golf. I've been using the same pair, just some cheapo, casual shoes with decent treads, for the last year, and I only just now punched a hole in them, and they are otherwise in good shape. I punched a hole in the top, though, so I think I just ran into a bush or something, you know, because that's where my thorws go...in the bushes. Never had problems with the soles. I've also used my Dr. Martens that look like leather Chuck's, and I wore through the heal of the sole, but they had pretty thin soles to begin with. So, OP, I would say you definitely shouldn't be wearing through shoes that quickly.

Now that I have a hole in my shoe, I'm just planning on using a pair of Adidas Superstars that are about 3 or 4 years old but hardly used...they have almost new tread, I have no idea if they'll work or not, but we'll see. I haven't bought a pair of dedicated disc golf shoes yet, seems like anything with decent tread has worked for me.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zj1002 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

I have ripped chunks off the bottom of 2 new balance shoes. all in the same spot. left foot, right below the ball of my big toe. this is in only a year of playing. Bought some nice New Balance hiking shoes and they have stood up pretty well. However I prefer the feel of the cross training shoe because they are tighter and I don't so much like the super cushion feel with some of the hiking/skating shoes
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Previous

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear