New Balance Minimus MO20

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New Balance Minimus MO20

Postby dgdave » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 pm

I didn't want to steal Jr's thread on vivobarefoot.

I just got these and took them on a quick jog. These are really nice. I'm used to Asia Onituska Tigers and these are more and a lot lighter. They seem to grip really well with the Vibram sole. I am concerned with the lugs coming off durring round use.

There are my first trek into barefoot shoes. I'm excited. I have an ice bowl this weekend and am going back and forth on wearing them since I've golfed in Salomons or keens since 08 and I need to let me feet adjust.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: New Balance Minimus MO20

Postby dgdave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 am

These are great. I wore them all day at the ice bowl yesterday. I felt more balanced on drives than normal. I do have sore shins this morning, but no other foot pains

They grip fantastic on both grass and tees. There's just enough sole to cushion really sharp rocks or sticks from really jabbing you, buy you still feel everything.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 am

As you play more with them i'd like to hear if the sole material lasts and if it is soft enough to be grippy on smooth concrete and with sand on the tee. The Vivobarefoot mids have a slightly too hard material for best possible grip when taking run up steps. I have slid forward in those conditions.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:28 am

I did throw on a sandy pad and the grip was stellar
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 am

I may have to give them a shot. The Altras I use have smoother soles and things can get slippery. My foot has gotten wider since I've been using these and my VFF's. How is the width on the NB's?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Go with the Merrel's Keltik, they're better imo.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:21 pm

I tried the Merrell road gloves and they were too narrow in the toe box. I guess my catfish shaped foot is SOL. I wear a EEE
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 am

dgdave wrote:I did throw on a sandy pad and the grip was stellar

How fast were you going? I've seen you throw in a video with hardly any speed compared to the fastest run ups i use=full speed. X stepping alone is no problem grip wise with the Vivos but having a bum arm i get much of my D from running so grip is more critical to me than most.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm

New Balance as a whole are designed to make you run/walk with a true non-pronated or non-supinated motion. Thus...a better grip on the ground. A lot of "running" doctors recommend new balance shoes because of this. I like the minimus 80 for trail running. Thinking about using them for dg this season as well.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm

I guess I went as fast as I needed to.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm

keltik wrote:I tried the Merrell road gloves and they were too narrow in the toe box. I guess my catfish shaped foot is SOL. I wear a EEE

Good God son, those are some sasquatchewan feet.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
keltik wrote:I tried the Merrell road gloves and they were too narrow in the toe box. I guess my catfish shaped foot is SOL. I wear a EEE

Good God son, those are some sasquatchewan feet.

More like flippers than feet!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 am

BLURR wrote:New Balance as a whole are designed to make you run/walk with a true non-pronated or non-supinated motion. Thus...a better grip on the ground. A lot of "running" doctors recommend new balance shoes because of this. I like the minimus 80 for trail running. Thinking about using them for dg this season as well.

Damn i might need to try some then or at least find a store where i can touch the sole to see for myself. The Vivos are great on dirt and grass but not so much on concrete and rocky natural tees on my home course.

I'm SOL so far going as slowly as dgdave when pushing for D which is why i wear shoe soles running pell mell head over feet when going as far as i can. I need to hit weights for a long time to get any real D with just x steps. Too bad i cannot get any real D running as fast as i can either :roll: Thinking back i am not even sure what my x step only distance record is. The only non run up throw so far i remember was one of the not many pivot hop step attempts that was probably 380-390'.

Maybe we found the Sasquatch and that should be the custom rank for keltik :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Bah i have not been able to locate MO20s in Finland and newbalance.fi don't have it in their site.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby dgdave » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 am

These were right at the widest part of my foot when I first put them on, but after the first 2 wearings, they stretched to fit and are fucking comfy as hell now.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear