Questions on footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Questions on footwear

Postby Solbo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:13 pm

My Garmont Eclipse GTX's are still fine.. year and tickin...

Feet are always dry and with my 50 or so pairs of smartwool socks, rocky goretex socks or seal skins, always warm as well!
Solbo's Hodgepodge (trade list)

Hey that's ME! @ 51 Seconds...

**Nuke | Wraith | Orc | Force | River | Firebird | Q-Sent | Roc | Meteor | Stingray | Magnet**
Solbo
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Stamped Roc

Postby chunk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 am

any good experiences with keen voyagers? i got a x-mas gift card to spend and need new rubber for my feet. my merrell chameleon's have held up well for 4 months but the sole is starting to separate on the ball of my left foot.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Eric O » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:38 am

chunk wrote:my merrell chameleon's have held up well for 4 months but the sole is starting to separate on the ball of my left foot.
Any time a shoe blows out after only 4 months I would send them straight to the warranty dept for a new pair.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 am

i'm also wondering about keens.....my feet are wide as catfish and they look like they'd accommodate quite nicely....
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Jaysus » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:42 am

chunk wrote:any good experiences with keen voyagers?

I am using a pair of Keen Targhee II as my DG shoes right now... looks like the waterproof version of the Voyager - I pretty much love them so far.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chunk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:23 am

Jaysus wrote:I am using a pair of Keen Targhee II as my DG shoes right now... looks like the waterproof version of the Voyager - I pretty much love them so far.

how long have you had them?
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Jaysus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:53 am

chunk wrote:
Jaysus wrote:I am using a pair of Keen Targhee II as my DG shoes right now... looks like the waterproof version of the Voyager - I pretty much love them so far.

how long have you had them?

Ummm.... about 4 months now, probably have about 30 or so rounds on them (mostly on rocky wooded courses). No signs of wear to date. The only complaint I have is minor, and that is on warmer days, the waterproof material does not breath super well, and my feet get a bit warm.

I have other Keen shoes (sandals and casual), but this is my first pair of boots. The others that I have had have all held up very well also - I am hoping the boots do too.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby J-Man » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 pm

This season I picked up a pair of low top Bogs. I've used them with gaiters in up to 20 inches of snow, and now in very soggy turf ... love them. Good price as well.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I've had my Salomon Rivertek Goretex xcr's for a little over a month now. I've been wearing them every day and disc golfing in the snow. My feat have not been wet yet. These blow away the p.o.s. merrels i had been buying. Salomon all the way. And they were only 50 bucks.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby dgdave » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

My North Face Ultra's are leaking after 4 freakin months! Time to ship them back. Just sucks after throwin down the money for the GTX shoes.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby stoneman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Just played in over ankle deep, wet snow. Feet bone dry the whole time. 30 dollar pair of regular salies (from steepandcheap), $12 pair of of Ebay Sealskins. Can't beat it.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:47 pm

dgdave wrote:My North Face Ultra's are leaking after 4 freakin months! Time to ship them back. Just sucks after throwin down the money for the GTX shoes.
That's within what I consider the normal lifespan of Gore-Tex shoe linings. 3-10 months usually, depending on how often and how hard the shoes are worn. Of course it is also within the one year warranty offered by TNF, so there is a good chance they would replace them for you with a new pair.

I golf most days so I go through 2-3 pairs of shoes for golf in the time most people are just starting to wear out the first pair. Because I go through them so fast, at this point whenever I need replacements I am more interested in finding heavy discounts on any good pair rather than getting too stuck on any one particular make or model. I also go the route of the warranty return when possible, since I can easily kill a shoe in well under a year.

Speaking of warranty returns, if TNF or the retailer you got the shoes from won't replace them, try Gore-Tex. They have a lifetime warranty on any shoes with their label remaining waterproof. If they determine your shoes are no longer waterproof, they let you pick any equivalent Gore-Tex shoe in the same class and price range.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jaysus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Anybody ever play in their Chacos in the summertime?

I'm sure they'd be fine for a very casual round, but more often than not, I don't play very casual rounds.

We are going to do a canoe float between courses again this summer, and while I know I love wearing the chacos in the water, I'm thinking that my salmon (water shoe hybrids) may be better for the goldfpart of the trip :shrug:

(I have pics from last years float if anyone is interested)
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:13 pm

keltik wrote:i'm also wondering about keens.....my feet are wide as catfish and they look like they'd accommodate quite nicely....

I have Flintstone feet too. Keens do run wide, especially in the toe box. The problem I have with them is most of their models don't accommodate my very high arch. They also don't offer a lot of stability if you tend to roll your feet to the outside (shoes, not boots). But if you don't have those two issues they're great. There really aren't many truly wide shoes on the market.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Dogma » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Jaysus wrote:Anybody ever play in their Chacos in the summertime?

Yes, and I learned the hard way that sometimes I drag my toe teeing off. Otherwise they're great, especially if you play courses with water.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear