Questions on footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby disctribution » Fri May 16, 2008 4:47 pm

well i got my merrell cham stretch II's today. im about to go play a tournament. ill let you know how they feel and if they can withstand the punishments of disc golf!

California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby Jerrod » Fri May 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Awesome! I have been looking at these for a while and look forward to your review.
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Fri May 16, 2008 5:07 pm

yesterday i picked up a pair of merrell ventilators for play in hot weather this weekend... i am wearing them with some thin smartwool socks. very comfy so far and definitely drier than any other boot-type shoe/sneaker i've had (especially my goretex winter dg shoes).

mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chainsmoker » Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 pm

I've got my second pair of ventilators and they are awsome. I've got a pair of continuums that I wear when It's cold or wet and they feel stiff and heavy. They never broke in .
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Shaolintrained » Fri May 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Has anyone used both Goretex Salomons AND upper-end Merrells? Which do you prefer and why? I am on my second pair of Salomons and I really like them, but I go through shoes pretty quick and was wondering if Merrells were worth a try.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Shaolintrained wrote:Has anyone used both Goretex Salomons AND upper-end Merrells? Which do you prefer and why? I am on my second pair of Salomons and I really like them, but I go through shoes pretty quick and was wondering if Merrells were worth a try.

I have both. I find the Salomons are a bit more comfortable (I have both the gortex and none) but the Merrells are more durable. I like them both. I didn't get the Cameleon Stretch, just the regular Cameleons. The Stretch is supposed to be less rigid and more comfortable. I may have to try them the next time I need another pair.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby hayden » Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 pm

merrell cham stretch IIs are the way to go.
played in mine 4-5 times a week over the past year and they are in great condition.
the drawstring laces are very nice.
overall a very comfortable shoe with great traction.
definately worth the buck.
"I haven't played in months"
hayden
Noob

Postby disctribution » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Here's a review on the Merrell Chameleon Stretch II's. I wear a size 14 and am about 6'3 and 285lbs.

Well its a little early for a real in depth review but I'll post a first impression review:

I first opened the box and was impressed with how they looked. cool!

I loosened the laces and tried to slip my foot in..........huh? Are these too small? Checked the size......it's right. Looked for the directions so I could figure out how to put them on. Finally I just pulled them on but it took A LOT of force. Once i got them on they fit like a glove. They need a little 'break in' but they're decent.

Now I'm a big boy, so good shoes are critical. I played two rounds and feet were fine all day. The Merrells definately are not as ventilated as my North Face trail shoes were, but it was 100 degrees today so I'm not going to judge them yet. The most impressive feature of the shoes was the durability. 2 rounds on concrete tees with plenty of side-arm toe-dragging and not even a scratch on the vibram soles. Absolutely no sign of sole separation, which was already apparent on my North Face shoes at this point. In fact, I've already received a refund for them.

Overall I'm happy with cham stretch II's so far, but I will write more as time goes by. I'll probably also buy a pair of Salomon Pro 3D's and write a review on them too.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Sat May 17, 2008 6:51 am

I am about the same size as disctibution and I have both the Merrell Stretch and 3D Pros in size 14. I got the Merrells in July or August of 06 and I got the Salomons in January of this year.

Merrells:
Super comfortable and durrable. Sole is syill in great condition. The toe one one of them is just starting to peel a little bit and some of the seems in the leather at the bottom of the shoe are starting to come undone. The biggest this on why I got a new pair of shoes is that the inside heels on both have completely fallen apart and all the padding is gone. I think that is from how you have to put the shoe on and off. Still comfortable and I still rotate them with my Salomons. Would buy another pair in a heartbeat. I've never had a pair of DG shoes last this long.

Salomons:
These are nice. most ventilated goretex shoe I've ever had. Very comfortable. These aren't as narrow as I thought they were going to be. I have wide feet. They are fine on me. I like the lacing system. The downside is after about a week or so, a couple places on the soles started to come unglued. I have sinced shoe gooed them and have had no more problems. I just don't think I should of had to do that considering this is the most money I've ever threw down on kicks. I would recommend these to anyone.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby mothrows » Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 am

The inside heels of my Merrells shot craps on me inside of six months. It's too bad, cause they were super comfortable.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby garublador » Sat May 17, 2008 9:40 am

mothrows wrote:The inside heels of my Merrells shot craps on me inside of six months. It's too bad, cause they were super comfortable.
I had that issue, too. I have trouble with the heels of my shoes slipping so I attribute it to a bad fit. I have narrow feet and the Merrells I've had have all run wide. I agree that they were exceptional up to that point, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Beetard » Sat May 17, 2008 11:20 am

Any of you righties ever wear a hole in the sole of your left shoe near the big toe? I thought I was doing it because I was dragging my left foot, but after practicing pivoting wearing just socks in my house, I think it is happening when I push off.

Think it's cause I have effed up form or, is this common?

I'm gonna have to start rubber cementing tire tread onto my shoe, can't keep going through so many pairs.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Fasteddy411 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 am

Yeah the insole of my left shoe has a hole right through it.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Postby Shaolintrained » Sat May 17, 2008 2:32 pm

dgdave wrote:Salomons:
These are nice. most ventilated goretex shoe I've ever had. Very comfortable. These aren't as narrow as I thought they were going to be. I have wide feet. They are fine on me. I like the lacing system. The downside is after about a week or so, a couple places on the soles started to come unglued. I have sinced shoe gooed them and have had no more problems. I just don't think I should of had to do that considering this is the most money I've ever threw down on kicks. I would recommend these to anyone.

That's exactly what happened to my first pair. I was lucky enough to have bought them at REI and within a year of the purchase you can return them for a brand new pair. No questions asked.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby tumpsi » Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 am

I ordered yesterday a pair of black/asphalt Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR's. Can't wait to play with 'em.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear