"Approach" shoes and DG

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

"Approach" shoes and DG

Postby Billym » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 pm

After tearing up so many pairs of trail runners I needed to find something between them and a hiking boot.
I decided to go back to my rock climbing roots; approach shoes. I realized these burly trail shoes with sticky rubber might be the DG ticket. I had very good success today at DeLa on a muddy course. The shoes worked great on the tee and showed very little wear after 50 holes. They took on the mud and exposed wet sandstone that is all over the course.
This is what I wore; http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/359.
Maybe not the best for muddier conditions but a great all around DG shoe IMO and they kicked but today. Besides these shoes protect your feet from the rocks, stumps, bushes etc. that beat your dogs up all over the course.
Billy
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Re: "Approach" shoes and DG

Postby Solty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 pm

while they may be great for DG....they are damn'd near the UGLIEST shoes.......

...right behind my Teva Wraptor Event Shields...LOL
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Billym » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Form fits function. When I am not on the course I wear flip flops (Cali) or shoes for work (reality).

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:29 am

Billym wrote:Form fits function. When I am not on the course I wear flip flops (Cali) or shoes for work (reality).

Oh i know......whatever works, works in my book...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:25 pm

I recently returned a pair of Salomon XA Pros. It was the first I'd bought trail runners for a while, and I was skeptical of them possibly falling apart, but they were on sale, and GTX, so I took a chance. They felt great, fit well, and had the sweetest lace up system I'd ever used. Unfortunately though, they only lasted about 6 months. I don't fault Salomon for them blowing out, they just weren't made for the rigors of disc golf, i.e. concrete tees. Before that, I'd always used their light hikers, something like these. Right now, I'm wearing my old pair, the ones I'd previously labeled as "done" when I got my XA Pros. Wearing them again, I realize they're not nearly as blown out as the XA Pros were when I returned them, and these are well over a year old...maybe going on 2 years, but of course there was a stretch where I wasn't using them at all. I wish, REALLY wish Salomon or one of the other good companies would make a disc golf specific shoe. One with the durability of the light hikers, but light weight and lacing system of a trail runner.

Edit: Hmm, actually, right after I hit "submit" I saw the Salomon Fury. Kinda funky looking, and I'm not sure how the soft shell would hold up, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Where's the GTX though?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rodman20 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:14 pm

i picked these up today at ross for 9.99. http://www.shoebuy.com/rockport-metroplex/161469/370190 Hopefully they last. I really liked the fact that there are "waterproof" since i often play in the mornings when there is dew on the grass and often end with soaking wet shoes, i might put some waterproofer on them for extra protection. These are my first hiking/trail type of shoes, i normally play in a pair of old nikes but often have sore/tired feet after around even though the rest of my body feels fine.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird/Roc

Postby TLapham » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 am

I've tried a lot of different shoes for Disc Golf and my conclusion is that THESE are the best. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it. They are insanely comfortable as well.
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby SiDeArM jUnKiE » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:21 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:Edit: Hmm, actually, right after I hit "submit" I saw the Salomon Fury. Kinda funky looking, and I'm not sure how the soft shell would hold up, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Where's the GTX though?
Dude if I saw myself wearing those shoes I have to kick my own ass. :D Seriously tho I've been wearing a pair of Adidas Sambas for 2 years now and they great for dry to slightly dewy conditions, but they suck in the muddy and wet conditions. For those conditions I have a pair of Redbacks.
The glare from my head will blind you
SiDeArM jUnKiE
Tree Magnet

Postby JBinAZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:47 pm

In the summer months the parks department insists upon watering a local course during the prime playing times (gets hot here so getting a round in before 10am is ideal). I have tried several different shoes to battle the wet tee pads. Salamons are descent but I have found a DG shoe that I dig in all conditions. Five Ten started out making climbing shoes but have expanded their line to other specialty shoes. Hands down, the grippiest shoe that I have ever worn. http://www.fiveten.com/ Check the multisport section. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny IMO. I have the Insights, but dig the camp fours and prodigy, they also have some freeride shoes that look pretty fresh. Zappos has a better selection of sizes than the 5:10 website. Anybody else try these?
JBinAZ
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JKP » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 pm

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF335 ... -Mens.html

II got these recently and there super comfortable. Seem to grip pretty well too
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 pm

TLapham wrote:I've tried a lot of different shoes for Disc Golf and my conclusion is that THESE are the best. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it. They are insanely comfortable as well.

Gotta disagree with you there. I ripped the sole clean off those in two months, took them back and got some Solomons that i've worn since (about 6 months) and they are great.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

TLapham wrote:I've tried a lot of different shoes for Disc Golf and my conclusion is that THESE are the best. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it. They are insanely comfortable as well.

I have a hard time playing well in high tops. I've seen lots of folks do it, but it looks like lots of others here prefer the non-high tops, too. Looks quite sturdy though.

I take the Roc approach. I have several pairs of sneakers that I rotate, so no single pair takes all the abuse. They all wear in a little. I guess I'm fortunate that we only have 1 course with concerete tee pads. Sure does save on shoe wear.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Billym » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 am

So update on the shoes I originally posted about.
The sticky soles are too soft for concrete tee pads. The soles were wearing out really really fast.
I am finding that almost all trail running shoes suffer from the treads pealing away from the bottom of the shoe.
Mostly due to the rotation on a tee pad.
I am trying these as soon as things dry up here.

http://www.obozfootwear.com/site/oboz-m ... tooth.html

These look like the burliest soles/treads out there.

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Still swearing by my Chocos shoes. The soles look like they did the day I bought them 3 months ago, and they broke into be very comfortable.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear