Snapping hip syndrome and oblique strain(RHBH)

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Snapping hip syndrome and oblique strain(RHBH)

Postby seabas22 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I seem to have developed snapping hip syndrome, my left hip where the femur attaches has been a little sore(bruise like) the past month or so but not really painful enough to stop doing anything. I wasn't quite sure what it could be, until I finally noticed the snapping on my straddle putts. I rarely straddle putt so the snapping was a new symptom to me recently.

Also my right oblique ab has been sore after playing on the course but not field practice. I tore it pretty good back in May on the course and it felt like when I broke my ribs and rested it a solid two months before attempting playing, and then another month after that. I played the same course again over the weekend and my oblique is tight. I not sure if this is due to the hiking up/down hills, the Revo backpack, or the unlevel tees. I'm also not sure if this could be due to getting more snap on my drives, but it hasn't really bothered me in field practice although I definitely feel more stretch along the right side of my body on followthrough. I'm fairly sure the weight(+30lbs, from 170lbs to 200lbs) I put on over the last year from other injuries haven't helped either. Maybe its a combination of everything?

Anybody gone through anything similar?
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Re: Snapping hip syndrome and oblique strain(RHBH)

Postby JR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:26 am

Familiar problems from overuse, added power, uneven tees and especially planting flat footed. Uneven tees sometimes multiply the stresses from a flat footed plant.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Yeah, it was an uphill astroturf tee that popped my oblique the first time, and it was a nice drive as well. I can see how the unlevel tees really stress my flat feet.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:51 pm

The snapping hip/ IT band syndrome and bursitis seems to be getting better doing some hip stretches and using a foam roller I got from my PT.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm going through something right now that I really don't understand. Maybe you guys can help.

Last weekend, I started having some mild pain on the right side about where the last two ribs are. I thought maybe I ran into something. I played disc golf on Thursday, and really played well. Had some breakthrough drives, personal best etc. Was sore, but no big deal.

Played Friday, and on my drive on #7(first full power throw on that course) I almost fell to the ground in pain. Had to continue playing forehand only. From then on, if I sneeze, I'm in intense pain. A sit up motion does not hurt. It is very painful to palpation in that same area. What did I do? Oblique?

I really can't see playing again any time soon.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Stringbean » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Probably tweaked something and that something is tweaking back at you. Take an NSAID and get some rest. If it doesn't start to improve after a few days, see a doctor. But I am sure you will be fine.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 am

Does a cold pack help?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 am

Stringbean wrote:Probably tweaked something and that something is tweaking back at you. Take an NSAID and get some rest. If it doesn't start to improve after a few days, see a doctor. But I am sure you will be fine.

This has scared me enough that I'm not even thinking about playing right now. My plan is to get pain free for a clear week before throwing again, then not go above 75% for a bit.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby seabas22 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 pm

When I tore my right oblique from BH, it was a multi stage event. First it didn't hurt too bad, was like a mild strain, and I finished the tourney with some spasms. I played a few days later and then tore the oblique majorly and possibly broke a rib or two with it. That hurt to do anything, move, breath, taking a crap! Spent about 3 months on the injured reserve. I think it was a multitude of things that led to the injury, followthrough was one, lack of warm-up another, and overuse another, and this was also when I started having another breakthrough with snap. After I recovered from that I started getting serious about my form and posture, and haven't really had much issue since and drive further now with more ease.

I pulled my other (left) oblique a few years back from a FH drive, I finished the tourney playing all BH with not much issue, it was also my first win. It only bothered me throwing FH and probably sneezing too. I don't remember how long it took to throw FH again, maybe a month or two. That helped my BH game. I never use a running FH anymore though, if I move much faster than a walk I can feel it in my oblique.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I am officially scared. I'm also 45, which I'm sure will not help.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury