Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:50 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
mzuleger wrote:I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

Thanks. I'm old. Tell me how to overcome the ravages of age.

OK, that must have been too tall an order.

Thanks. I'm old. Did your training teach you anything about helping aging athletes?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:33 am

I don't speak from personal experience but i've heard from many people your age that it gets increasingly difficult to maintain your current stamina, flexibility and health. The suggest course of action has been to work out harder. Sorry.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mzuleger » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
mzuleger wrote:I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

What do you think about the BS in the post above yours?

I don't think it's BS, Crossfit isn't bad. The problem I had with crossfit is that your routine is based on the WOD that someone else chooses... if it's not one you're into it's easy to take the day off or lose motivation. Also, some of the WOD don't take very long so I was inclined to do extra afterward... which I guess is ok.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby mzuleger » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:

Thanks. I'm old. Tell me how to overcome the ravages of age.

OK, that must have been too tall an order.

Thanks. I'm old. Did your training teach you anything about helping aging athletes?

What specifically are you looking to improve? You can probably benefit in the same ways that younger atheletes would... the results will just be less dramatic as you age.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:24 pm

mzuleger wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:

What do you think about the BS in the post above yours?

I don't think it's BS, Crossfit isn't bad. The problem I had with crossfit is that your routine is based on the WOD that someone else chooses... if it's not one you're into it's easy to take the day off or lose motivation. Also, some of the WOD don't take very long so I was inclined to do extra afterward... which I guess is ok.

I hear you on the WOD. For now, the next month anyway, I'm ok with doing whatever is prescribed, but I think once Mid Feb rolls around I'm going to want tailor the WOD specifically for my goals. The one thing I'm noticing is the lack of lateral movement exercises. I have been incorporating them into the warmup. I like the fact some are short, but still intense. However, it feels a little like cheating. I think it's just a matter of upping the warmup.

Once the season kicks off my days and weeks aren't going to allow for Crossfit. Which is ok, I want to be better at disc golf, not Crossfit.

The BIG thing about crossfit is I see ALOT of bad form. Pumping out 75 of anything and you're going to have some bad form. I have zero time to be injured, so I'm being pretty cautious. Right now I'm doing everything at home, but worry about going to a box and having to keep up with the group. We will see, I'm going to give DM Crossfit $100 for 12 sessions and go from there.

BTW, Russian Kettlebell throws HAVE to be GREAT for putting.
Discwrangler
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whatever I'm throwin

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Here is my 32 day Crossfit Program.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1u3MU ... y=COb9vpAI
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby Craig Smolin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 am

Hey all.

So my father, brother, and I just came back from a cruise, and we are all about 15 pounds overweight. FYI, we didn't gain all the weight on vacation, it is an accumulation of holiday excess, and lack of activity. Although I am generally in better condition than them. We are going to start a % weight loss contest amongst the three of us.

Before I went back to work (I was unemployed from nearly 15 months between Feb. 2009 and May 2010), I was hitting the gym about three times a week, and using the following schedule:

Mon: Push muscles (chest, triceps) + abs and cardio. 3 machines per muscle group, 2 sets of 8-12 reps per machine, rotating between muscle groups (ie: ab machine, chest machine, tricep machine x 3).

Tues: Pull muscles (back, biceps) + abs and cardio. Same routines

Thurs: Legs and hips + abs and cardio. Same routines

Can anyone give me some insight into the best machines, how many sets, and/or reps I should start out with?

Thanks.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Discwrangler » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm

IMO you're better off not using machines which tend to isolate muscles. Rather, do exercises that will incorporate multiple muscle groups simultaneously, or at least in the same rep.

Push ups, situps, pullups, burpees, walking lunges, squats, thrusters, jogging, rowing, etc...

Check the workout i posted, it will give you ideas on how to keep things intense while mixing up reps...
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby mzuleger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 pm

If you're just looking to lose weight as quick as possible then don't even bother with weights, that will just add muscle weight.... normally I would never recommend this but if you want to win a weight loss contest focus on cardio and diet.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Weight loss=walking at least six hours per day at high enough of heart rate to burn fat and low enough heart rate to be able to sustain that. To high heart rates don't burn as much fat. The long time of exercise is what burns the fat. The low work load of walking allows one to survive 6+ hours of working. If you can throw accurately enough on an empty course you may be able to make the stops and throws fast enough to not allow your heart rate to drop too low or raise too high as long as you do it the speed golf way making each throw without preparation right when you get up from picking the disc. I may have to try this :-) I suggest a putter only exercise if you want to do this while disc golfing. That has a double or actually probably at least quadruple benefit to your game.

From what i've heard one shouldn't exercise the same body parts hard on consecutive days so every other day of six hour plus should work. I know a man that ran a marathon a day by running the first half of it to work doing physical labor for a day then ran the other half back and was overweight. A doctor adviced him to walk so he left earlier and returned later still doing the marathon distance. He didn't change his diet initially but he quickly lost a lot of weight. Later on he's adjusted the diet so that he has more time per day. Some people... That makes me feel like a wimp. How on earth can a human body survive such punishment?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Discwrangler » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Half way through my first week of Crossfit and I'm beat up! Hammy's are banjo tight, shoulders and arms are sore. Can't wait to get healed up and get back in there. My girlfriend loves it. :D :D
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby J-La » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am

My gym workout isn't discgolf specific but a very good basic routine for "mass and strength" (which has more to do with your nutrition btw). Yes, it's a basic routine which should be in the other topic but gaining distance was the first reason for me to join a gym. And besides, I don't believe that doing discgolf movements outside the course can do much. Those should be done with discs not weights.

During off-season I workout three times a week on non-consecutive days, let's say monday, wednesday, friday.

Every other workout I'll do reps ranging from 12-15 (killer!) and every other workout 6 reps. I pick a weigth and try to do three sets of same reps. If I succeed I'll increase the weight next time. Rests between sest are about 90 sec. Here goes:

Squat 3x
Straight barbell bench 3x
T-bar row 3x
Military press (behind the neck) 3x
Barbell biceps 3x
Abs and back extensions 3x superset (when my back allows me to)

Proper form is the key here. Semi-slow eccentric phase really burns on those high rep days and gives you a feeling for the muscle being tortured.

Once, maybe twice a week swimming. It's very good for the posture and back I've been told.

On-season I'll reduce my workouts to two times a week so that my technique won't suffer and this will leave some time for some putting too ( yeah right...).
J-La
Noob

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby JR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:49 am

He's ripped so he probably uses quite heavy weights. I'm a former competition swimmer and swimming can be great for back. So is training deep stomach muscles. A Finnish great southpaw Markus Lindewald hurt himself in warming for the Stockholm Disc Golf Open in the back. I gave him advice on how to make the deep stomach muscles work reducing pain in minutes. I know this from having been advised by a doc to do that after my back injury. Markus did the exercise for a few moments and went on to train and play. He had aches and finished the competition but prior to the exercise he seriously thought he couldn't compete at all.

The muscles i'm talking of are quite low in the area of the small of the back in height about 5 cm below the navel. You should pull the low muscles toward the spine while not pulling in the upper stomach muscles above the navel. That's made easier by concentrating breathing semi deeply in and out and concentrating on the breathing and looseness of the upper stomach muscles. Once you get the deep muscles tightened try to match the tightness in the lower back and try to lift up your balls with muscles only :-) That will tighten up the deep stomach muscles even more. At first one should start with 15 second tightening with two three second breaks doing 15 reps then a minute of rest and another set. It works wonders on lower back pain in two to three weeks and after the back is in good enough shape the pains will go away faster for me anyway. Usually within minutes.

Rotating the hips will also help in lower back pains. We haven't talked of where your pains are but swimming usually is more effective for lower back so i ass u me d :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby J-La » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 am

Heavy weights hmmm... I think it's always best to go as heavy as possible, BUT using good form. Once you know your limits then try to break them. As I said, once I get the desired reps and sets (which means that the first two sets should be light and third thight) I'll increase the weight next time. I'll probably have to work on that weight for some time, but I always get at least one rep more in at least one movement every time and that means improvement. That means as heavy as possible, for you, personally.
J-La
Noob

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby JR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 am

Good form is a must. Especially with max weights to avoid injuries.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury