Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Postby ChrisWoj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
mzuleger wrote:I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

Thanks. I'm old. Tell me how to overcome the ravages of age.

I'm opening I live long enough to see cellular regeneration become commonplace.
ChrisWoj
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ProD Challenger

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 am

Two and a half weeks in, and I'm down from 221 to 215 ... feeling a lot better physically ... had some muscle soreness early on, but that has largely subsided.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby J-La » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am

As usual, l almost got injured doing heavy bench press and figured I'll take it easier this week. This lead me to try some new equipment and exercices. Thus I got pretty excited about core training. Maybe I'll devote one day a week for bodyweight exercices like different kind of chin-ups and push-ups which utilizes your mid-section, too. I also managed to stay some time on a rounded balanceboard with one foot. Good balance is essential for a good drive, isn't it?
J-La
Noob

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby JR » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 am

You're right on all counts. I suck in balance and training balance last winter with Wii Fit showed just a little in my driving. I still suck in balance training. I've got ways to go. Mark Ellis posted a great workout for the core and balance. Standing on one leg using a kettle/dumb bell hit to the front and side with the arm of the same side than the leg on the ground while trying to maintain balance and the same direction for the torso. That's effective. Sit ups to less than a full way up then twisting at the hips far to the side possibly even the full motion range gives me lactic acids and a burning sensation fast. That can only be great! If monster focuses on core strength in training with that muscle mass... There must be something to core strength. Dare i say levering?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gregg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:I have the best routine. Twice a week I visit my personal trainer and do whatever he says. Which is great because he knows more about the subject than I ever will.

My appointments are pre-scheduled so even when I have zero motivation or feel poorly, the only thing I need to do is point my car in the right direction at the right time and everything else is automatic.

Many times I would not have worked out if it were up to me. I would have blown it off. But those days when I felt unmotivated I have noticed that, after I was done with my workout, I was very happy I did it.

I'm happy for you, you did it.. I will do some work out next week, hope I can do it.
gregg
Noob

Postby BrohanSolo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby DiscJay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

BrohanSolo wrote:A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.

Good stuff BrohanSolo. I asked over at coreperformance.com to see if they could help me put together a good workout plan, but they required me to get like 20 people to join before they would do it. I was an Exercise Science major in college but never graduated. I read everything I can these days but just never seem to get the chance to put anything concrete together. I've been doing some kettlebell work recently for overall fitness and it's been helping a lot. Hopefully you can do what I have not been able to.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Maybe all of you should just work out at the gym and be naturally athletic bitches!

I've just been working out 3 times a week lifting weights and then do cardio for about 60-90 mins twice a week. I've seen some improvements so far, but we'll see what happens later this summer when I can start working on D again.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby BrohanSolo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:45 am

I'll definately let you know what results I'm seeing over here. Im from west michigan and I've got a good 15-20 people interested, so once I take a the pre-program numbers and get the guys workin out, i'll post an overall correlation from what I've found. Personally, I was able to increase my sidearm from 300 to about 450 consistantly, and my tom/thumb to almost 250. Hopefully those results will be duplicated for everyone else!

@ Sean40474, you're absolutely right, you do need a good strength base and not be afraid of the gym, but you don't really need "cardio" for a disc golf workout. It's nice to be able to stay in shape, but by cardio I think you mean distance running, which actually decreases your power output for your legs. Something better than you may want to try which will give you close to the same results is interval running. This is where you sprint for X distance or time, then jog the same, then repeat for a desired number of times. Once you get that strength base, power development is a must. As far as specific strength exercises go, multi-joint are the best. You don't need to bicep curl or do "arms". A lot of things like push ups, pull ups, or snatch/clean will hit your arms also. Athletes train movements, not muscles!
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby DiscJay » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 am

Preach on BrohanSolo. I keep wondering where I lost the passion for exercise science and training. That used to be all I read about. Oh well, computers have made me a good living.

I'm going to have to break out my medicine balls and other equipment again. Woohoo.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby Dig It » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 am

BrohanSolo wrote:A lot of these workouts seem to be pretty strength based, and while strength is a very important, POWER is what you want if you're looking to develop on the course distance. If you're doing a 5 day routine (2 days rest) at least 3 days should be dedicated to power type lifts (medicine ball slams, rotational throws, cleans, etc...). You don't need to distance run at all concidering that disc golf is one of the only pure Anaerobic activities. I have my degree in clinical exercise science and my CSCS from the NSCA, and I am trying to develop a program that disc golfers can use because, as Blake noted above, there isn't much out there as far as actual research based programs that have proven results.

Could you explain the difference between lifting for power vs. lifting for strength? It sounds like you are suggesting Plyometrics as opposed to heavy compound lifts but I would want a further explanation as it intrigues me. Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 am

Dig It wrote:Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).

Lol @ broscience. I had to look it up.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Dig It » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Dig It wrote:Plus, I want to de-broscience this thread as much as possible because some has sneaked in (not from you).

Lol @ broscience. I had to look it up.

I don't pretend to understand all things exercise, but I know the only way to lose weight being you have to walk for 6 hours a day is absolute broscience.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BrohanSolo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 pm

haha broscience, nice. I feel ya on that... it's not all about the weight.

Power Vs. Strength; think of it this way, strength as we are talking about here is slow strength; it's all about work, force times distance. With power, you add in a speed component. For instance, to build good shoulder strength you would want to do things like military press, forward/lateral deltoid raises, shrugs... things like that. For power, you want some external resistance (weights, weighted vest) but there is a speed component. It's kind of like plyometrics, but plyos aren't only for lower body. I do plyometric pull ups, which are great.

My favorite disc golf exercises are medicine ball power exercises. Medicine ball slams, which require a 2-5 kg (2.2 lbs per kilo), are great for developing powerful shoulders. All you do is take the medicine ball in both hands(not too heavy, as the speed at which you release the ball is more important in these), hold it just behind your head, and using your abs and arms/shoulders throw it into the ground just like throwing a tom/thumber. Make sure your arms follow through, as stopping them before can cause injury to your rotator cuff. Rotational medicine ball throws are also awesome. This requires a slightly heavier medicine ball (6-8 kg). Get into an athletic stance with your left hip towards a concrete wall (do not do on drywall or any surface that isn't solid, you will break through the wall!) Athletic stance is definsive stance, Knees slightly bent back straight. Hold the ball in your right pocket (not actual pocket, just area) with your left hand on the bottom of the ball and your right on the top of the ball. Keep the ball on this plane as you throw it, the momentum starts at your back leg (right), rotate at the pelvis and shoulders and throw that SOB as hard as you can while staying low. Your back leg will come off of the floor after it leaves your hand for the same reason that following through as mentioned above. Repeat on the opposite side. 4 sets of 6-8 reps should be good for both.

Another thing to consider that I think is really important is when doing strength building exercises to not forget about the eccentric portion (when you are lowering the weight in bench/ bicep curl / military press. Make sure it's nice and slow, this helps so much with deceleration, which is the number 1 cause of injuries in throwing sports.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Postby Dig It » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 pm

BrohanSolo wrote:haha broscience, nice. I feel ya on that... it's not all about the weight.

Power Vs. Strength; think of it this way, strength as we are talking about here is slow strength; it's all about work, force times distance. With power, you add in a speed component. For instance, to build good shoulder strength you would want to do things like military press, forward/lateral deltoid raises, shrugs... things like that. For power, you want some external resistance (weights, weighted vest) but there is a speed component. It's kind of like plyometrics, but plyos aren't only for lower body. I do plyometric pull ups, which are great.

My favorite disc golf exercises are medicine ball power exercises. Medicine ball slams, which require a 2-5 kg (2.2 lbs per kilo), are great for developing powerful shoulders. All you do is take the medicine ball in both hands(not too heavy, as the speed at which you release the ball is more important in these), hold it just behind your head, and using your abs and arms/shoulders throw it into the ground just like throwing a tom/thumber. Make sure your arms follow through, as stopping them before can cause injury to your rotator cuff. Rotational medicine ball throws are also awesome. This requires a slightly heavier medicine ball (6-8 kg). Get into an athletic stance with your left hip towards a concrete wall (do not do on drywall or any surface that isn't solid, you will break through the wall!) Athletic stance is definsive stance, Knees slightly bent back straight. Hold the ball in your right pocket (not actual pocket, just area) with your left hand on the bottom of the ball and your right on the top of the ball. Keep the ball on this plane as you throw it, the momentum starts at your back leg (right), rotate at the pelvis and shoulders and throw that SOB as hard as you can while staying low. Your back leg will come off of the floor after it leaves your hand for the same reason that following through as mentioned above. Repeat on the opposite side. 4 sets of 6-8 reps should be good for both.

Another thing to consider that I think is really important is when doing strength building exercises to not forget about the eccentric portion (when you are lowering the weight in bench/ bicep curl / military press. Make sure it's nice and slow, this helps so much with deceleration, which is the number 1 cause of injuries in throwing sports.

Thanks for that. It's making more sense to me. I am at a crossroads with my conditioning because I have spent the last 2 months on StrongLifts 5x5 and just couldn't eat enough to keep up with it and now I need to add some different exercises to help with DG and just forget about bulking. I will never give up my core compound lifts like OHP/Squats/Bench/Deads/DBRows but adding these MedBall work outs sound awesome to add in along with the Kettle Bells I've always wanted for grip strength.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury