Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Postby J-La » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am

JR, I usually don't like to discuss about my distance, but since you have now twice estimated my drives at 450, I'll have to correct that.

Where have you seen me throw 450 tops? Come check my driving some time at Tali driving range. Yeasterday, at dead calm, I shot several hyzers over 450, and straight shots over 500. This may sound like I'm bragging, but JR is underestimating me here, publicly :) Plus my form is way better than last season.
J-La
Noob

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby BrohanSolo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

J-La, I wasn't trying to say that you shouldn't do your own workout (100 chin-ups), I was just stating points why that wouldn't really be a great disc golf workout for someone who wants a disc golf strength/fitness routine. Everyone has their own goals, and I'm sure you know a lot about working out and what works great for you, but not everyone in the forum is as knowledgeable as you about strength/power training; especially when you're trying to be sport specific and make every movement count.
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby Ironhide » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:26 pm

J-La wrote:Fun to read these posts, where people who don't know me are accusing of trolling.

This's no broscience, this is just having fun with a pullup bar. Using supinated grip (palms facing towards you) will definitely have some effect on pecs too. Yes, doing couple of sets won't do any good for pecs or triceps, but after 60 one must use these helping muscles to complete 100.

Pyramiding is very easy on the way up. Most difficult part of this excersice is those reps between nine and six on the way down. And please don't read in between the lines, I never told I was doing this "every day". I would do this once or at most twice a week. I have been going to the gym for about eight years consistantly, and using lots of different routines and techniques I have found that mentally it's best to have some fun while excercising. This is fun and simple. Yeas, you don't need to do any pull-ups, but please let me have my workout.

Maybe I'll post my form for you to judge if you still think I'm trolling. Try it sometime and you'll notice it ain't that hard a workout.

What you are talking about is complete broscience. Not to be rude, but you have no clue what you are talking about as far as fitness... Pull ups are NOT a pec exercise. Using a supinated grip allows more bicep activation which makes the exercise easier on the Lats. You're fatiguing out your primary muscles to hit your synergistic muslces is pure stupidity. I'm not telling you what to do, but please don't tell people to do what you're doing cause it's dead wrong. Hence why this is 'broscience'.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby J-La » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Lift your arm and pull it down using your elbow. Can't you feel your pec contracting at all? I do, that's why my pecs get some workout too. Maybe thei're weak. But you're correct, that's for sure, about primary muscles. Still hahving fun doing it and I think it will do good for my strength. But do not try it!! No one should ever try it.
J-La
Noob

Postby Ironhide » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 pm

J-La wrote:Lift your arm and pull it down using your elbow. Can't you feel your pec contracting at all? I do, that's why my pecs get some workout too. Maybe thei're weak. But you're correct, that's for sure, about primary muscles. Still hahving fun doing it and I think it will do good for my strength. But do not try it!! No one should ever try it.

Not quite sure what you mean by lift my arm and pull it down. But let's think of it this way... The Lat Pull-Down and Pull-Ups are the same movement, same muscles, just different loads (closed chain vs. open chain). If you look at the muscles worked in each exercise they are the same and neither of them involve the chest. The pecs in those exercises are stabilizers and meant to guide/stabilize the movement. If your primaries are gone and your secondaries are now moving you, you now have little to no stabilizer muscles, this is where nerve impingement, scar tissue, etc.. type injuries occur. My guess is why you are feeling it in your chest is that you're form is incorrect and you're not activating your back muscles. An easy way to tell is if I placed a pencil on your back between your shoulder blades, at the top of the pull-up your shoulder blades should be grabbing the pencil, EVERY SINGLE REP. If you're not pinching the back of your shoulders together and feeling in the back every single rep, you are doing the exercise wrong. I'm sorry to sound pissy about this, but as a trainer for 5+ years, I've had to correct a lot of 'broscience/bromancing' ways with people and some people have been severely hurt cause of it. I understand you want to help people and you're happy with your success, but keep in mind you're dealing with people's lives here. If someone that wasn't in the same shape as you went and did this cause you said to, they could hurt themselves. So once again, sorry for being mad/insults. Could also be that I had to fast today and didn't have enough protein. :lol:
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby JR » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:49 am

J-La wrote:JR, I usually don't like to discuss about my distance, but since you have now twice estimated my drives at 450, I'll have to correct that.

Where have you seen me throw 450 tops? Come check my driving some time at Tali driving range. Yeasterday, at dead calm, I shot several hyzers over 450, and straight shots over 500. This may sound like I'm bragging, but JR is underestimating me here, publicly :) Plus my form is way better than last season.

Hey that's cool you throw even father. I may recall incorrectly that you said to me last year that you were throwing to about 140 m max. Have you gained distance since then or did i just remember incorrectly? I haven't seen you unleash fully anywhere with enough space. The longest i've seen you throw was at the first public test of Pohjan Poika at Meilahti field. I'd like to see how you throw these days some time. I'm sure i will at some point in the season despite being busy at work. At least i get plenty of motion with weights that way :-) I think i lifted way over 10000 kg today. Pant pant.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby J-La » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm

JR, I did mention that, but we were talking about golf drives. I am happy with 140m drives on a golf course, but throwing on an open field it's a whole different story. And using 360 I may get up to 10 meters more :) ...which is pathetic I guess. I just can't get enough pressure with that.
J-La
Noob

Postby BLURR » Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Well...today was day 60 weigh-in and I am down 35 lbs. on the dot. Here's hoping that the next 60 go as well as the first.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri May 13, 2011 1:13 pm

BLURR wrote:Well...today was day 60 weigh-in and I am down 35 lbs. on the dot. Here's hoping that the next 60 go as well as the first.

congrats. very impressive. i'm jealous.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Dookville » Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm

BLURR wrote:Well...today was day 60 weigh-in and I am down 35 lbs. on the dot. Here's hoping that the next 60 go as well as the first.

Sweet......keep goin. I just hit 36 pounds on monday, half way there.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Fri May 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Wow. A lot of protein intake is probably good so that you won't lose the weight from the muscles.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Fri May 13, 2011 9:37 pm

I shoot for one gram of protein per pound that I weigh. So far no muscle loss that I can tell.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby Peot » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 pm

BLURR wrote:I shoot for one gram of protein per pound that I weigh. So far no muscle loss that I can tell.

Well, there has been some. It's simply unavoidable. There is no way (I guess sans liposuction?) to lose weight without losing some muscle mass. There are ways you can preserve it, but weight loss has gotta come from somewhere.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 am

Peot wrote:
BLURR wrote:I shoot for one gram of protein per pound that I weigh. So far no muscle loss that I can tell.

Well, there has been some. It's simply unavoidable. There is no way (I guess sans liposuction?) to lose weight without losing some muscle mass. There are ways you can preserve it, but weight loss has gotta come from somewhere.

Oh...I am sure there is some muscle loss...but strength-wise...I am stronger now than I was before.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby himynameismatt » Sun May 29, 2011 10:14 am

Looking for a good flexibility program...Haven't worked out seriously since High-School football was doing some stretching the other day and my flexibility certainly isn't what it used to be.

Hips, back, legs, basically everything. Would love it if someone could link me to a routine they found useful =)
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury