Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Postby mzuleger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm actually in the process of filming a home workout DVD... it's kind of P90X-ish but has some very unique and cool twists to it.... it should be ready to go early July if anyone's interested.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby SteelNitro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 pm

I work at an amusement park and start go kart motors all day, and if throwing a disc is really like pulling an engine, then I should be in decent shape right? Haha, in all honesty I should work out a little I really wish I had time though.
SteelNitro
Noob

Favorite Disc: None as of now

Postby joshryan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:18 am

I wanna lose 20 lbs. ASAP....
joshryan
Noob

Postby BLURR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 am

Well....day 120. Official weigh-in results are 56 lbs. down. This hasn't been a bad 4 months either.

For the person that is wanting to drop 20 lbs., it will probably take you about 30-40 days to do so...depending upon current body makeup.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby joshryan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 am

Thanks for your advice. I really work hard for this.
joshryan
Noob

Postby BLURR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 am

I am by no means a dietician or fitness guru, but I can tell you a few things that have worked for me so far.

1. Monday thru Friday, no fast food
2. No regular soda (If you want a soda, grab something that is diet or similar to something like Coke Zero. This one just about killed me as I could have a can of Coke in my hand 24/7.)
3. Watch your bread and pasta intake. Moderation on this one.
4. Try to mix in some avacado's, almonds, walnuts, fish
5. No dairy based condiments like mayo or ranch
6. Layoff the beer (If you drink that is)
7. Cardio is key to losing weight
8. Eat more than 3 meals a day., try 5 or 6 (This will help with getting the munchies between meals. I tend to eat a couple handfuls of almonds or yogurt).
9. Drink between 40 and 60 oz. of water a day.
10. Turkey and Chicken are your best options for meat.

Example of one day of food for me.
Breakfast
Package of high fiber oatmeal(High fiber content helps you feel fuller).
8 oz. glass of skim or 1% milk
Mid-morning
Handful of smoked almonds
16 oz. bottle of water
Lunch
Everything Bagel Thin
6 slices of Oscar Meyer Deli Thin Lunch Meat (Roast Beef/Smoked Turkey/Chicken)
1 slice of cheese (provolone/cojack/cheddar) *This is not an everyday thing, I throw it in when I feel like some cheese
1 serving of tortilla chips
1 serving of bean dip or salsa (Goes with the tortilla chips)
1 serving of Jell-O Sugar Free Pudding
1 Soda
Afternoon
1 small container of Greek Yogurt
16 oz. bottle of water
Dinner
1 6 oz. Grilled meat (Turkey Burger/Sirloin/Chicken Breast)
1 cup of veggies
1-2 Biscuits/Dinner Roll with Honey
16 oz. bottle of water

All said and done at the end of the day, something like this will be about 1,300-1,500 calories on the day.

Here is a primary example of ways to cut calories and fat:
Say you are out and about and need to grab something to eat. Let's say Burger King is your only option. For arguments sake, lets say you want a whopper. Let's breakdown a whopper by "normal" choices.

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup and cheese:
710 Calories 43g Fat 30g Protein 11g Sugar 52g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo and ketchup:
670 Calories 40g Fat 28g Protein 11g Sugar 51g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup and cheese:
560 Calories 26g Fat 30g Protein 11g Sugar 52g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup:
510 Calories 22g Fat 28g Protein 11g Sugar 51g Carbs

Whopper with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle:
490 Calories 22g Fat 28g Protein 7g Sugar 47g Carbs

So, as you can see, by making just a couple of small sacrifices, you can knock out 200+ extra calories and cut your fat intake by almost half. It is simple little things like this that I never paid attention to until the last four months. And if you throw in a garden side salad with Light Italian Dressing instead of a medium fry, you can save yourself 250 more calories and about 10g of fat.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby garublador » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 am

BLURR wrote:So, as you can see, by making just a couple of small sacrifices, you can knock out 200+ extra calories and cut your fat intake by almost half. It is simple little things like this that I never paid attention to until the last four months. And if you throw in a garden side salad with Light Italian Dressing instead of a medium fry, you can save yourself 250 more calories and about 10g of fat.
Something that I'll add is to actually look at the nutrition information rather than just words like "Light" or "low-cal." You'd be surprised at what you can find that's not labeled as light, but is better in most every way. Some of the biggest dependencies we've found are with pasta sauce and salad dressings.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 pm

garublador wrote:
BLURR wrote:So, as you can see, by making just a couple of small sacrifices, you can knock out 200+ extra calories and cut your fat intake by almost half. It is simple little things like this that I never paid attention to until the last four months. And if you throw in a garden side salad with Light Italian Dressing instead of a medium fry, you can save yourself 250 more calories and about 10g of fat.
Something that I'll add is to actually look at the nutrition information rather than just words like "Light" or "low-cal." You'd be surprised at what you can find that's not labeled as light, but is better in most every way. Some of the biggest dependencies we've found are with pasta sauce and salad dressings.

Most definitely on this. My wife and I used to just buy whatever for these two items, but once we started paying attention to what ingredients were in some of these, we changed it up quite a bit. And another thing..."Organic" does not always mean healthy. People that I work with seem to be blinded by this word.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

The cardio point is huge and not just one single type of cardio. You need to mix it up. your body will adjust to just running or biking and you will plateau. swimming is one of the better workouts and also has some disc golf bonus. the better you eat, the more energy/focus you will have for other activities.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby mcrow » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 am

What I've found that works for me for fitness, weight loss and disc golf is this:

Basic plan:

Lift weights 3x per week. Shoot for 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps to failure per set. Do Chest, shoulders, triceps day one, do legs day 2, and back, biceps, and abs day three.

Day 1:
Incline Bench Press /Standard Bench Press(switch up every few weeks)
Fly
Shoulder press (machine or dumbbell)
Dumbbell lateral raises
Triceps pull downs
Skullcrushers

Day 2:
Squats
Straight leg dead lift
Calf raises (dumbbell or Barbell)

Day 3:
Dumbbell curls
Preacher curls
Cable Pulldowns (for lats)
Bent over barbell rows
jack knife situps (Shoot for 30, more if you can do 3 sets)
Incline twist situps (shoot for 20, more if you can, do 3 sets)

Cardio plan:

Run 3-4x per week. If you lift on the same day, do the lifting first.

Run for 30 minutes, long distance pace. Shoot for 3 miles or more x 2-3 per week.

Do 50 yard sprints. 3 sprints to a set with 2 minutes between runs. Do three sets with 5 minutes between sets. Do this 1-2 per week. Be sure to stretch well before and after. Add more sprints to each set as you progress.

Sometimes I will switchout the cardio ever other week and do plyo routine. I also use a powerball and equalizer from time to time.

Nutrition:

Aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean mass. Carbs are mostly fruits,verggies and whole grains. Try to get at least 25% calories from fat to maintain proper hormone levels.

To lose weight, multiply your current weight times 11-13, then subtract 500-750 calories. So if you weigh 180 you'd eat around 1800 to lose weight, maybe a little more if you are very active so 1800-2000.

If you are 180 and about 18% bf then you'd have 148 pounds of lean mass and should get 150-200g of protein per day or 600-800 calories of protein.

Total calories: ~1900
Protein: 175g (700 calories) (37%)
Carbs: 158g (630 calories) (33%)
Fat: 63g (570 calories)(30%)

It's all about calories in vs calories out so don't worry so much about the % of each macro, but get your proteinf or sure.
mcrow
Noob

Postby mzuleger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Sorry but I'm going to tear this apart a little and give my opinions

mcrow wrote:What I've found that works for me for fitness, weight loss and disc golf is this:

Basic plan:

Lift weights 3x per week. Shoot for 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps to failure per set. Do Chest, shoulders, triceps day one, do legs day 2, and back, biceps, and abs day three.

You should not do all of your sets to failure, at most do your final set to failure but even that is not necessary. Also, for a 3-day split consider Chest/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, Back/Triceps. This way the body parts don't compete with each other so you can keep your rest between exercises to a minimum (and thus burn more calories).

mcrow wrote:Cardio plan:

Run 3-4x per week. If you lift on the same day, do the lifting first.

Run for 30 minutes, long distance pace. Shoot for 3 miles or more x 2-3 per week.

If your goal is to put on muscle then I suggest you keep clear of all steady cardio because it uses too much muscle as fuel. Instead do high intensity interval cardio, to start with I recommend 4 minutes at a nice easy pace followed by a minute all-out as fast as you can tolerate (then repeat for 30 minutes).

mcrow wrote:Nutrition:

Aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean mass. Carbs are mostly fruits,verggies and whole grains. Try to get at least 25% calories from fat to maintain proper hormone levels.

To lose weight, multiply your current weight times 11-13, then subtract 500-750 calories. So if you weigh 180 you'd eat around 1800 to lose weight, maybe a little more if you are very active so 1800-2000. If you are 180 and about 18% bf then you'd have 148 pounds of lean mass and should get 150-200g of protein per day or 600-800 calories of protein.
It's all about calories in vs calories out so don't worry so much about the % of each macro, but get your proteinf or sure.

1800 calories for a 180 pound person is very low, that's a 800 calorie deficit for a completely sedentary person (and based on this regimen you would not be considered sedentary) I'd recommend at least 2500 calories per day. Here is how you calculate your metabolic rate: weight x 10 multiplied by your activity level: Sedentary 1.45, Light 1.6, Medium 1.7, High 1.88.

Also, a calorie is not simply a calorie. I don't think you really believe that since you recommend protein content etc. But as an example, a person whose diet is 2500 calories of simple carbs and sugars will not look the same as a person with a 2500 calorie diet of protein, fiber and complex carbs.

Sorry if I came off harsh... not the intent here. Just giving a different opinion.

If anyone is interested I created a unique customizable home DVD program that will be available for sale early August. Check it out here: Revolt Workout
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby BLURR » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

Just passed the 60 lb. mark today. So...it took 136 days to drop 60 lbs. Average it out and I lost almost half a pound a day since I started.

Hey mzuleger, hit me up if you want somebody to put your dvd through the paces.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Congrats BLURR!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby OKNate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Ok, was perusing some of the earlier pages and whatnot. I've been working out in the gym for a very large portion of my life. Off and on for a bit of it. But I played baseball (pitcher) in college where all we did was run and work core. For Disc Golf, from what I can tell, there are certain body parts that would benefit some time on.

Legs - if your legs go endurance wise, then your base goes out the door and you start leaving things high and whatnot. Legs need to be solid. Good exercises for legs for this kind of sport, squats (universal), lunges, Box Jumps, Plyometric routines (jump training), and long distance running. Build up strength and endurance at the same time.

Core - obviously your core, a lot of people say it and dont kno what it is. Well it's your abs and your lower back. This are crucial as you're constantly doing a twisting motion, best to strengthen your lower back quite a bit and all your abs with possibly partial focus on obliques as they are the 'turning 'part of the abs. Doing all different kinds of ab workouts- not just crunches. Reverse Crunches, Roman chairs, leg lifts, torso twists. A good workout for abs is the P90X workout. For lower back, doing extensions on the bench that supports your legs (be careful not to hyper-extend your back. A lot of people think they need to go further then flat to get the most out of it. Doing so compresses your spine and can lead to further injuries. Also Yoga, yoga is a GNARLY core workout and leg workout at the same time. highly recommended.

Upper back- on the drive you're using a pulling motion, which utilizes your upper back and rotator cuff. If you want a harder 'pull' through on your drive, workout your upper back and it will help. Bent over flies work well to hit this part. As well as Resistant band pullups (wrap it high, sit down and do all diff pull-ups, close grip, wide grip, alternating grip) with an isometric hold (P90X back days are great at this). Also a good overall back workout- WITH PROPER FORM - are bent over barbell rows. Also good ol' fashioned pull-ups.

Shoulders- this is pretty obvious, your shoulders take a beating while out there, so this is a necessity. With Back and Shoulders, they are the easiest body parts IMO that can be injured while working out and can sideline you the longest. So take great care in not overdoing it on your back or shoulders. For shoulder workouts I do a pretty good routine that is designed to add strength and size to your shoulders and Traps. Good workouts for the functioning shoulders (not so much traps), are DB Shoulder Presses with a moderate amount of weight - dont try to show off. Lateral and front raises with straight arm as well as 90' bent arm. Also using a light BB (25 lbs) and doing straight arm holds in front of you to isolate the front delts. Upright Rows hit the traps hard but work the majority of the shoulder as well and work quite well too.

side note: Rotator Cuff- the best things for rotator cuff are VERY light weights- 5lb or resistance bands. look up a rotator cuff routine for pitchers and use it. It'll burn like crazy but helps a ton.

Essential big biceps arent' going to help you throw harder or farther or help with anything really. Triceps theoretically might help with the snap but they aren't utilized a ton. Essentially working out for Disc golf would emulate the working out of a MLB Pitcher. Same body parts/muscles are being utilized in both sports and the emphasis is the same on what body parts to work out.

Hope this helps!
OKNate
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Postby garublador » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 am

mzuleger wrote:Also, for a 3-day split consider Chest/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders, Back/Triceps. This way the body parts don't compete with each other so you can keep your rest between exercises to a minimum (and thus burn more calories).
Where do you fit your core into a split like that? Would it be better to do a little bit at each workout or dedicate more time (and sacrifice time on another body part) during one workout? If it's the latter, which one would you recommend adding core to?
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury